Type 1 Morning BG level

TD1life

I'm following the same routine and doing everything the same but from last 2-3 days my morning bg is high 200+ i increased my fast acting insulin dose by 1 but the results are same

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @TD1life and welcome to the forums.

I'm not a doctor and I can't advise on medication but I can make some comments.

Firstly, are you on a basal/bolus regime (long acting insulin plus fast acting before meals)?

Secondly, have your team told you how to adjust your insulin doses? (Insulin needs and ratios can vary quite a lot, according to time of year, activity levels, illness, stress, etc etc...) Plus if you were on an insulin honeymoon and it is ending than your requirements would go up.

TD1life

Hi @TD1life and welcome to the forums.

I'm not a doctor and I can't advise on medication but I can make some comments.

Firstly, are you on a basal/bolus regime (long acting insulin plus fast acting before meals)?

Secondly, have your team told you how to adjust your insulin doses? (Insulin needs and ratios can vary quite a lot, according to time of year, activity levels, illness, stress, etc etc...) Plus if you were on an insulin honeymoon and it is ending than your requirements would go up.
I'm on actrapid (fast acting) taking before meals and lantus ( long acting) taking at night before sleep.
I just adjust my dose on my own after this unusual trend .
Everything was in control before this. Usually after getting accurate BG for 15-20 days my BG level goes high in the morning for a single day.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just adjust my dose on my own after this unusual trend .

Do you know how to do basal testing? Do you have a cgm so that you can see what your blood sugar is doing at night?

TD1life

Do you know how to do basal testing? Do you have a cgm so that you can see what your blood sugar is doing at night?
No i don't . I used CGM last year now I'm using glucometer . I always check my levels before meal it was accurate between 90-120 before dinner.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Well, ideally you'd ask your team for advice but if you want to go it alone consider googling the forums for tips on basal testing. The thing is, high fasting readings can be caused by a number of things including dawn phenomena (liver dumps out sugar first thing) and too little basal. (Or too much basal if you're rebounding from a night time hypo. :)) And you could just need more insulin because you're coming down with a bug.

Not desperately helpful I know, but people vary so much on how their body reacts to insulin.

Hopefully some more experienced T1s will chime in soon.

And one more thought. Have you changed your lantus cartridge recently? I think @Jaylee has had some experience with gone off lantus.

Reactions: TD1life

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TD1life ,

Welcome to the forum.

Liaise with your health team regarding your basal dosage & any changes.

However there is a way to find out if your Lantus is doing it's job. This link will help you. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

@EllieM is correct. i do get the odd experience with Lantus. Since using a sensor, it confirmed what i suspected for years..

For me. every now & then a Lantus cartridge will lose potency. about halfway down the cartridge on use? Which means i could be spending the whole day correcting my BGs.
Changing the cartridge puts things right the following day..
If you have adjusted & increased your Lantus dose to compensate? Please remember to revert back to the original recommended dose with the new pen or cartridge. You may well find yourself going low repeatedly..

Best wishes.

Reactions: TD1life and EllieM

TD1life

Well, ideally you'd ask your team for advice but if you want to go it alone consider googling the forums for tips on basal testing. The thing is, high fasting readings can be caused by a number of things including dawn phenomena (liver dumps out sugar first thing) and too little basal. (Or too much basal if you're rebounding from a night time hypo. :)) And you could just need more insulin because you're coming down with a bug.

Not desperately helpful I know, but people vary so much on how their body reacts to insulin.

Hopefully some more experienced T1s will chime in soon.

And one more thought. Have you changed your lantus cartridge recently? I think @Jaylee has had some experience with gone off lantus.
Thank you for the valuable information .
By any chance do you think drinking cold water just after walking (post dinner walk ) affects BG reading indirectly.
I googled about this issue and it showed me that it lowers the body temperature and other things related to indigestion as well .
I have this thing in my mind cuase i started drinking cold water after walking few days back and after that morning BG is unstable .

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
By any chance do you think drinking cold water just after walking (post dinner walk ) affects BG reading indirectly.
It's not something I've ever heard of, and I find it hard to believe that drinking cold water in the evening would affect your morning levels.

Reactions: TD1life

TD1life

It's not something I've ever heard of, and I find it hard to believe that drinking cold water in the evening would affect your morning levels.
An update... not just in morning my BG is high for the whole day .
I changed my fast acting insulin refill few days back now I'm facing this issue before meals anytime of the day.
my schedule is exactly same like the other days but still getting high BG.