Morning carb/insulin ratios

Clorinda

I just wondered what morning carb/insulin ratios your kids have.

I know it's early days, but Harry seems to need massive amounts of insulin the morning after his breakfast compared to the rest of the day.

He's currently on 30g per unit (if that makes sense) for the morning and 50g for the rest of the day. But I think the 30g needs to be dropped a lot because I keep having to give him extra insulin 2 hours after his breakfast.

Clorinda

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hey,

I don't have a child but just wanted to say alot of people of all ages usually need more insulin in the morning so i wouldn't think its anything to worry about :)

If your needing to give him more insulin make sure you know all the previous insulin you have given him has left his system as you can have a 'stacking effect' of insulin and may cause his BG's to drop too low! :)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Khaleb is usually on 1 unit Novorapid for each 20 gm carb but in the morning I give him 2 units for 25 gm carb. I also increase his night dose of Levemir if he is creeping up too high through the morning. If he wakes up with any bsl below 8mmol all is well but if he is higher it can take all morning to get him back on track. I also tend to give him his morning insulin at least half an hour before his breakfast to give it a good chance to get working but quite often give him his insulin after he has eaten through the day. This works for us (most of the time).

It is all trial and error and you have to look at the long acting and short acting to find a happy balance.

I don't tend to restrict Khaleb's food and just muddle along until I find a way for his insulin to match his diet. As he grows and what he eats changes I need to make adjustments along the way. If I add up all his insulin in the day it usually works out that he gets about 1 unit/kilo body weight.

Hope this helps.

annettekp

Hi

Erland needs more insulin at breakfast and lunch than at teatime. If we give the same ratio at teatime as the other mealtimes he is usually between 3-4 at bedtime.

It depends what his blood sugar is but its roughly 2.5units to 30g carb breakfast and lunch and 0.5 less at teatime.

Annette