1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Morning Figures -

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by paulandbez, Oct 29, 2020.

1. paulandbez

paulandbez · Member

Hi all

I am desperate for as much advice as possible regarding my morning figures. I take my blood glucose reading within about 30 minutes of getting up and every morning I have between 7.5 and 9 mmol/L sometimes they have been higher but I guess the average is around 8.5. I have heard of the dawn phenomenon. I have hardly anything for supper at around 9.15-9.30. I usually have just a round of toast or a couple of sugar free biscuits. Even when I have not eaten anything my blood sugar can be quite high and on the rare occasion I have more than toast I have had my blood sugar at around 7.
    Does anyone have advice, preferably if you have been or still have a similar situation. I have had a lot of stress over the last four years (that's another story) and I know this can, I assume, make the figures high. I honestly do not think though that this accounts for the figures all the time, especially as I am not always stressed. I have just started to take 200ug of Chromium Picolinate at lunch and I hope that might make a difference in the next month or so. As I've said, I would appreciate as much advice as poss. Thanks.

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What type of diabetes do you have?

3. paulandbez

paulandbez · Member

Hi xfieldok. I have type 2. I take metformin 500mg & Gliclazide 80mg both twice a day.

4. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There are basically three options. You could try a ketogenic diet, other T2 medications or go back on insulin. Don't expect the chromium, or any other supplement, to make much difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fawbs89

Fawbs89 · Active Member

My perfect bloodsugar where I feel 'normal' is actually 7 to 7.5. I can deal with around 6.5 too but if I go below that I can tell I'm creeping closer to hypo.

6. paulandbez

paulandbez · Member

Thanks for your replies. Interesting regarding the ketogenic diet and certainly the better of the options but how does (I don't have enough info re this diet) this diet stop high morning blood sugars. As I've said, even when I've not eaten anything for supper my blood sugars can be quite high. Also, have you tried chromium picolinate? I would be interested to hear what doses you took and the effects, good or bad.

7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Just stopping the high carb foods will make a big difference. You can't really do very low carb as you could hypo due to the tablets you are taking, but swapping those sugar free biscuits for something lower in carbs should make a big difference, and using a low carb bread is an option. I use Livlife and a protein bread which has only 4 gm of carbs per slice..

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. paulandbez

paulandbez · Member

Thanks resurgam
    I've never heard of that bread, I'll try and get some. But I still don't understand how my sugars can be as they are in the morning if I've not eaten anything for over 12 hours? I would love to have some answers or ideas regarding this. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll try that.

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is called the dawn phenomenon. Best ignored, it will come down when it sees fit. Annoying but true.

10. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You may also want to try testing before you get out of bed- some people find that ....I think it's called feet on the floor syndrome causes the levels to rise. My other suggestion is maybe eat something and see what that does to your levels.

Good l.uck.

11. paulandbez

paulandbez · Member

Thanks VashtiB. I'll try that

12. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The blood glucose you see in the morning comes from your liver. You don't need to have eaten anything. Eating keto retrains the body to use fat instead of glucose for energy and should reduce the DP effect too. But you would need to at least reduce the gliclazide as it could cause a hypo. Chromium Picolinate is usually used by people who are glucose intolerant but do not yet have T2. It doesn't work very well. See this study for the observed effects, or lack of them. Skip down to the Results section.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. paulandbez

paulandbez · Member

Thanks MarkMunday that's helpful. I'll take a look at the link

• Like Like x 1
  14. OzBlossom

OzBlossom Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I usually do my FBG at 7am and was pleased the last two mornings to have a 5.3 reading.

Interested to see what I could see about my own Dawn Phenomenon so ...
    Tested at 6.15am - 5.4
    Tested at 7.30am - 5.7
    Tested at 8am - 6.0 :arghh:
    Tested at 10.30 am - back to 5.5 (had already had one keto-friendly coffee after 8am read, but no food)

Not sure I want to have a go at setting a 3am alarm for a few days, but the above was interesting enough.

15. paulandbez

paulandbez · Member

Thanks OzBlossom. That's interesting but I've got to say I'm jealous of those figures. I'll have to have a look at this keto thing!

16. OzBlossom

OzBlossom Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ah, but see in my signature where I started :eek:! We've all got to start somewhere and I still have heaps of weight to lose but I'm on the right path now. Lots of variation in these forums about the exact way folk control their blood sugars, but common theme for sure is 'low carb, low carb, low carb' in combo with/without medication.

Best wishes for your journey!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook