Morning Glucose Readings

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still pretty new to all this testing even though I got diagnosed T2 about six months ago. Only joined this site Dec 6th and recently started testing mainly to see what them Carbs are doing so I know how to structure my diet. Anyhow I've been testing first thing at like 6am ish, what you call fasting test? and then again when I get to work before I have a cupa and a biscuit. can anybody explain why the second reading is always higher? like this morning it was 6.8 at 6.15 but then at 7.30 it had gone up to 8.7 like what's that all about when i've had nothing to eat? Or is this suppose to happen and if so can you explain why?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the site! Higher readings are often due to the Dawn Phenomenon - also called Liver Dump - which leads to higher BG. Fasting tests is often referred to as FBG and many people post theirs on here, I aim for something in the 5s and I am happy.

Am sure someone who can explain the Dawn P more than me will be along soon, many people find eating a small amount of protein before bed helps suppress it.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the site! Higher readings are often due to the Dawn Phenomenon - also called Liver Dump - which leads to higher BG. Fasting tests is often referred to as FBG and many people post theirs on here, I aim for something in the 5s and I am happy.

Am sure someone who can explain the Dawn P more than me will be along soon, many people find eating a small amount of protein before bed helps suppress it.

Thank you, I've only been testing a week now and my FBG as you call it as never been below 6 but always higher amount an our or so after when I test before the first thing I eat and drink. Think i've seen something on liver dump somewhere but can't remember so must not have been paying attention, will look this up and see.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
At least you know that during the night your BGs are at a safe level. The dawn phenomenon is very very common. What happens is that about half an hour before your usual time for rising from bed, your liver gives you a nice big burst of glucose so you can start the day bright eyed and bushy tailed. It's very annoying. It's the reason many people are not hungry in the morning.
I find the best solution is to eat a low carb breakfast and that returns BG to normal before lunch. If I don't my BG stays high all morning.
You may need to experiment to find the best solution for your own system. I don't think a biscuit with my cuppa would do me any good at all. It would spike me up to 12. Try a cup of coffee with cream or soya milk or a small pot of unflavoured yoghurt, and test to see what has happened two hours later.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Johnjoe13
This happens to me, every morning, no matter what time I get up
This is a graph (using Libre sensor) of a typical recent day, showing how it rises further as soon as I get up and/or start getting active
https://postimage.org/
Perhaps that will help explain :)
I'm looking towards the days when it stops doing all this. Some days it rises really quite high :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is happening is that your liver is dumping glucose from when you get up until later in the morning. It will do this if it thinks you are starving (after an overnight fast), if you are rushing about getting ready for work, travelling to work, and keep going until it is satified you have enough glucose to keep you going. It isn't just fasting that causes it, it is also stress, rushing about, exercise, illness and so on. It is a natural event and is your liver doing its job looking after you. You could try having breakfast when you get up - no carbs, perhaps an egg and a cup of tea. It may help. It may not. All you can do is try.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Johnjoe13
This happens to me, every morning, no matter what time I get up
This is a graph (using Libre sensor) of a typical recent day, showing how it rises further as soon as I get up and/or start getting active

Perhaps that will help explain :)
I'm looking towards the days when it stops doing all this. Some days it rises really quite high :(

Thank you, I think I still have a lot learn about T2 and what it does, but more importantly what I need to do! I have to say that since buying this meter i've gleaned more information on how certain foods and carbs affect my glucose level. I won't say that Desmond was a total waste time because it wasn't, but being on this site is giving me so much more practical help than Desmond and my GP, or DN put together have

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Johnjoe13
It sounds like you're doing well but, yes, there is a lot to learn, made so confusing after the (potentially) bad advice from the professionals.

Take each day at a time, read and learn as/when you can and you'll become an 'expert' in your own right in time :)

Reactions: Johnjoe13

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I think I still have a lot learn about T2 and what it does, but more importantly what I need to do! I have to say that since buying this meter i've gleaned more information on how certain foods and carbs affect my glucose level. I won't say that Desmond was a total waste time because it wasn't, but being on this site is giving me so much more practical help than Desmond and my GP, or DN put together have

Sounds like you've come to the right place - this forum helped me immensely. It takes a while to get it in control, ask any questions you want - many friends here have been there and will help you.

Reactions: Johnjoe13

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
can anybody explain why the second reading is always higher? like this morning it was 6.8 at 6.15 but then at 7.30 it had gone up to 8.7 like what's that all about when i've had nothing to eat? Or is this suppose to happen and if so can you explain why?

This is an alternative view regarding the dawn phenomenon.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/
The Dawn Phenomenon, or higher blood sugars during fasting does not mean you are doing anything wrong. It’s a normal occurrence. It just means that you have more work to do.

Some people have normal blood sugars except for the Dawn Phenomenon. This still indicates that there is too much sugar stuffed into their liver. They need to keep burning down that sugar. It means there is much more work to be done before they are cleared of their diabetes.

Rather than eating something before sleeping, I find that having earlier dinner or no dinner helps to clear this up rather neatly.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is an alternative view regarding the dawn phenomenon.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Rather than eating something before sleeping, I find that having earlier dinner or no dinner helps to clear this up rather neatly.

Thank you, I found the link to the dawn phenomenon very interesting, heavy reading for a complete novice (if that's the right word?) and I think I will probably need to read it a few times to make complete sense of it.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I still see FBG in the 6's - when I first started testing, and during a period of adaptation after being diagnosed I was seeing 7's and 8's - you may need to experiment as we all react differently - for me - I eat a small piece of cheese with some peanut butter very last thing before I go to bed ( not to everyone's taste, and may not make any difference to you ) - my FBG levels have come down, I have also stopped taking Metformin (agreed with my GP) during this period so I am seeing now just my bodies capability unassisted - my FBG now averages at around 6 - but even now I get inexplicable high 6 results without having done anything different - I do also find better to test ASAP in the morning - before starting to rush around getting ready for work etc. I have read on this forum several times that the morning levels are the last to fall in line when you see sustained improvement - I know its frustrating as it feels like the factor most out of your control - but keep trying different things - the key is to keep testing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed almost 3 years and on LCHF for well over 2 years. My day time pre and post meal levels are all in the normal range and my fasting average is mid 5s but I still see 6s some mornings and other mornings as low as 5.1. It is a mystery, I just shrug, record, and move on. No point in me worrying. My liver is looking after me. :)