Morning Highs / not DP

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!

Am about to embark on some basal testing but was wondering if anyone else had any insight. In the last week my blood sugar has slowly risen from between 2-5am every morning so I wake up between 13-19 which is not ideal having gone to bed at 4.5-5. I have the libre so have been watching this, I have been unable to link it to food as mostly from the last time I ate to my last measurement it's been 2hrs and nothing especially fatty. Doesn't seem to be DP as it is gradual over night, suggesting it would be an issue with basal which would be a little odd as it was perfect the week before! Any suggestions on what to do?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it's a recent thing, the first thing I'd do is change my insulin in case that was an issue. I'd also be extra careful about my sites/injection areas.

Reactions: isjoberg

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does look like an issue with basal though it's hard to explain why it would change so dramatically. As Azure says try a new insulin cartridge & an entirely different site for your basal injection(s).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Doesn't seem to be DP as it is gradual over night, suggesting it would be an issue with basal which would be a little odd as it was perfect the week before! Any suggestions on what to do?

You would think if it was DP you would have experienced it before now, so it does look like a basal issue @isjoberg

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
DP Can strike at any age so I would still bear that in mind. Also, that sort of climb is exactly what mine and a lot of other's find their 'DP' does. 'Dawn' can be misleading but as so many know or talk about it ...well not many know I guess. Still, keep it in mind. I would have a no carb dinner and watch your levels from well before you go to bed. Use that to find the time your levels start to rise. Then I would talk to your nurse about how to adjust your insulin. May be a case of splitting a dose or changing the time you take your basal overall :) Good luck.