Morning levels

Pompeygirl

I am testing and getting levels of 12 - 13 on waking. I am eating no carbs after mid afternoon and my levels are generally coming down slowly tea time can be around 8. It doesnt seem to matter how good my last reading is the first morning one is always higher. I understand that this is dawn phenomenon but how can i change it ? Id there anything i can do?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you type 1 or 2? What medicines do you take? What are your bedtime readings?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's usual for people to get quite low BG levels whilst sleeping so the body responds by putting some glucose into your system to stop you going hypo. Unfortunately, diabetics don't respond to this extra as quickly as otherwise healthy people would do. That's why your levels are high, but the process is normal.

You can control your BG levels to some extent by not eating carbs but, in the beginning, you have a lot of fatty acids in your system which the body easily converts. I was in the 9s and 10s to begin with but these fell over the weeks to 8s and 9s and then 7s and 8s and so on. It is one of those funny things that you have to get used to, why do my BG levels go up when I haven't eaten anything? Lots of people report this happening but, it does slacken off. You should find that you start losing weight too and you can speed this process up by exercise.

Pompeygirl

Thank you. I am losing weight and have started daily exercise and generally feel really good. I have actually noticed in the last 2 days that the morning highs are not quite as high so i am working on my patience too :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App