Morphine (oramorph) and blood sugar readings

ResistingResistanceUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I’m post surgery and they’ve been giving me morphine in the form of oramorph. I was nil by mouth and had a reading of 10.2 yesterday and this morning 12.9. I don’t usually have double digit numbers so I’m a bit worried. Do you think it’s the sugar in the meds?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I’m post surgery and they’ve been giving me morphine in the form of oramorph. I was nil by mouth and had a reading of 10.2 yesterday and this morning 12.9. I don’t usually have double digit numbers so I’m a bit worried. Do you think it’s the sugar in the meds?

Hi there, it could be as you suggest, or it could be the stress of your op, or just plain old your body is reacting to you being under the weather.
Try to just ignore it for a few days at least, until your pain levels reduce. A few days of higher numbers aren't likely to be a big issue, in the bigger picture.

I hope your recovery goes well.

ResistingResistanceUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, it could be as you suggest, or it could be the stress of your op, or just plain old your body is reacting to you being under the weather.
Try to just ignore it for a few days at least, until your pain levels reduce. A few days of higher numbers aren't likely to be a big issue, in the bigger picture.

I hope your recovery goes well.
Thank you so much

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The times I have been on this medication has coincided with a hospital stay. This incliuded, free of charge, a prohibition of my diabetes sweeties, amd the administration of IV insulin. It also involved changing my diet back to Eatwell. ~They treated me as a T1D and were happy when my readings were in the 10 to 18 range, and they panicked when I went outside their comfort zone. I suffered the injustice of my 5.4 morning FBG being treated by force feeding of digestive biscuits and on one occasion a doughnut (very nice but hardly therapeutic). So the hospitals I visited have a twisted view of diabetes. in my experience.

Think of it as a funfair ride. It will end sometime and then life returns to normal routine and hopefully so do the bgl levels. The current adrenaline rush from worry is not helpfull, so relax. Its probably not the med and the alternative (no med) is not one I would rrecommend. You may be able to swap to paracetamol soon.