Motivation

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
As we all know this isn't is a easy as it sounds.

To keep your blood sugar under control.

We all come of the wagon and back on.

So what make you get back on the wagon.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)

In my situation it was Covid ......

When it first started to become a problem and there was not a cure or vaccine for it. Making things worse i was told that diabetics where at a higher risk. I read American Diabetes Association website the closure your blood sugar where normal the less likely one would experienced complications. This assumption was validated in the following study:https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(20)30238-2#.XqxOw3EasVI.twitter. I lost over 65 lbs and watched the carbs and numbers like a hawk. I used walking to minimize spikes.

Emotionally why I got back on the wagon? The answer wss self preservation. I got the control to be so so good I no longer needed to take the meds. I was taking Glipizide which was making me hypo so I diet and exercise was the only way I could control things. In the process I also lost my sweet tooth.

Dave

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

We have a family picture on the wall, every time I walk past, I see the old 300+pound me standing next to my 90pound wife lol. Every time I see it I think, yeah, I don’t want to go back there lol

Reactions: Andy_Warlow

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A good question. Even almost 2 years later I test at least 3 times a day and this helps with motivation . I also have few treats such as diet jelly that help when I need a 'fix'. While I've lost over 30 kgs I still miss carbs.

Also self preservation is a huge factor- I don't want to ,lose my eyesight or my limbs.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Covid for me.
Going forward I think it will be looking at my pictures and the clothes I Can now wear and how I look. I don’t want to go back to how I looked before

I wish I could say it was watching what happened to my dad but it never did stop me. I wish I knew why

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
... retirement is perhaps 10-12 years away for me - and I'd like to walk the world not be pushed around in a wheelchair...

Jo123

Years ago when first diagnosed pre diabetic I watched an oprah Winfrey show about diabetes. The doctor said that excess glucose in your blood was like shards of glass damaging your blood vessels and body, he had a graphic of this damage. Every time your blood sugar is high your body is being damaged, this is why a lot of diabetics suffer from heart disease, if ever I felt like straying off the straight and narrow I thought of shards of glass in my blood vessels!

Plus when I was diagnosed pre diabetic I had a normal bmi, albeit in the higher end (24), I lost weight very quickly and am now at a bmi of 20. I prefer being slim and feel much better for it.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, firstly, it was all about health - at 5 stone heavier I guess a heart attack or stroke wasn't far away for me - my aunt had a heart attack at 52 and my father had a stroke at 62 (both survived but not everyone is so lucky).

I feel so much better at the weight I am and actually enjoy buying new clothes now (I have spent a small fortune) and can't wait until covid is over and getting dressed up again and going out again whereas before I didn't enjoy going out as much socially when I was so overweight (which I didn't realise at the time)

I didn't realise how competitive I am as once I got in to remission I want to remain there and at first I had this thing that diabetes wasn't going to control my life - I will control it ... which so far I have fortunately been able to do - so it was probably a lot of determination also.

I was totally unaware of diabetic retinopathy and was shocked and very upset when at my first check-up some background retinopathy was detected (I have now had it on/off for around 4 years) and that is probably the main reason that motivates me personally to keep this woe under control as I don't want to lose my eyesight - it really makes you think what could happen and reality kicks in when you get this diagnosis.

And then covid came along and all the scare stories that were in the media about having diabetes .. it was and has been a worry too ...

So, as I said at the start and am now ending with what motivates me is to keep as healthy as possible for as long as possible as I want to live long enough to enjoy and see my family and hopefully grandchildren at some point and be around and as healthy for as long as possible to help them all.

Take care, keep safe and look after yourself

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
For me, firstly, it was all about health - at 5 stone heavier I guess a heart attack or stroke wasn't far away for me - my aunt had a heart attack at 52 and my father had a stroke at 62 (both survived but not everyone is so lucky).

I feel so much better at the weight I am and actually enjoy buying new clothes now (I have spent a small fortune) and can't wait until covid is over and getting dressed up again and going out again whereas before I didn't enjoy going out as much socially when I was so overweight (which I didn't realise at the time)

I didn't realise how competitive I am as once I got in to remission I want to remain there and at first I had this thing that diabetes wasn't going to control my life - I will control it ... which so far I have fortunately been able to do - so it was probably a lot of determination also.

I was totally unaware of diabetic retinopathy and was shocked and very upset when at my first check-up some background retinopathy was detected (I have now had it on/off for around 4 years) and that is probably the main reason that motivates me personally to keep this woe under control as I don't want to lose my eyesight - it really makes you think what could happen and reality kicks in when you get this diagnosis.

And then covid came along and all the scare stories that were in the media about having diabetes .. it was and has been a worry too ...

So, as I said at the start and am now ending with what motivates me is to keep as healthy as possible for as long as possible as I want to live long enough to enjoy and see my family and hopefully grandchildren at some point and be around and as healthy for as long as possible to help them all.

Take care, keep safe and look after yourself
Mrs T, just remember this as a Grandma your job is to spoil your grand-kids rotten and give them back!!!!!!!!!

Seriously I have said this in the forum before, diabetes runs in my Dad's family and lost an aunt and Grandma who died from kidney damage from uncontrolled diabetes and several cousins who had toes amputated for the same reason.

When I was first diagnosed I made the decision that there would be no way that I will experience any complications and do every thing I could do to prevent them with me.. I was in remission once before and screwed up and created a real mess and do not want mess up this second chance. I have a niece who is a nurse keeps me on the straight and narrow. If start messing up I will get a swift kick in the seat on my pants !!!!!!!!!

In terms of wearing clothes I like being able look down and see a belt buckle instead of my stomach. I like the feeling that I am controlling diabetes instead of it controlling me.