Movies,

hornplayer

Woman in Black is based on the long running West End play, sorry, can't remember who wrote it, and is Definitely a ghost story. - Not a blood and gore horror film, it's quiet and dark, and, in my quaking mind, WAY scarier!

- it has Daniel Radcliffe in it. His reviews were mixed, but I think that's just coz the reviewers couldn't get Harry Potter out of their heads. Not his fault. I thought he was good. His performance was quiet and understated, in keeping with the production.

One of my favourite sci-Fi films is Serenity. - You'll get more out of it if you watch the 12 part series Firefly first.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Glad I'm not the only person who really enjoyed woman in black. Keeps you on your toes, especially when you get so scared you need to change your undies :lol:

Netty70

Robinredbreast said:
Netty70 said:
hornplayer said:
Moonstruck

Dogma ( you do have to have a certain sort of sense of humour for that one though!)

Quartet (what can I say? - I watch that film and I see me and my friends in thirty years! :) )

Woman in Black ( scared the **** out of me! )

Lord of the rings - return of the king (extended version)

Almost anything in black and white

And then there are the ones that are there because they are full of eye candy; - Star Trek ( the two newest ones), the Ironman films, Thor etc. :)

Woman in black scared the bejesus out of me too.......and my hubby lol

Woman in Black, I have heard of it but never seen it, I want to watch it now. Has it been on the TV yet? I have freeview, It does interesting. Would I like it? as I love Sci Fi, Ghosties etc and Alien is the best Sci Fi ever made, when I first saw it THAT scared the bejesus out of me, but not now. Anyone seen an older film Black Christmas ? that's scary and creepy, but haven't seen it for years and years.

I am a huge fan of Alfred Hitchcock films, I think my top three would be:-

Rear Window, North by North West, Dial M for Murder, no, it's my top four now, and The Birds, whoops no, now top five, Strangers on a Train ( A H's daughter played in that one). But I have never been keen on Marnie, I didn't like the way she was treated I think.

I like actresses like Margaret Rutherford, Gene Tierney, Celia Johnson and Whoopie Goldberg, she was brilliant in Ghost, so funny and had a good acting role in The Color Purple, another film I haven't seen for years.

RRB I love talking about films :D

So you do ha ha ha
Well RRB it's a very jumpy film one of them where your waiting for something to happen lol
Sure it will be on the tv soon as we watched it last year at the flicks
Enjoy :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hornplayer said:
- it has Daniel Radcliffe in it. His reviews were mixed, but I think that's just coz the reviewers couldn't get Harry Potter out of their heads. Not his fault. I thought he was good. His performance was quiet and understated, in keeping with the production

Thought Daniel was superb in Woman in Black, remember watching the original film in the 80's but wasn't as scared as I was watching the remake, funny enough my kids wouldn't watch it because it had Daniel in it ....remembering him as Harry Potter when they were little :D

Daniel also played Rudyard Kipling son in a WW2 drama called My Boy Jack around 2 tears ago, it was one of the best pieces of acting I'd seen and well worth watching!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.

twinattack10

Dislikes
liver is my only real dislike
zolabud said:
One of my favourite movies is Bronson starring Thomas Hardy ( who I love)

the film "Warrior" with Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte is very good....a mixed martial arts film but it does mean Tom spends a lot of the film with no shirt on. Ladies you will probably enjoy this.....

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
twinattack10 said:
zolabud said:
One of my favourite movies is Bronson starring Thomas Hardy ( who I love)

the film "Warrior" with Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte is very good....a mixed martial arts film but it does mean Tom spends a lot of the film with no shirt on. Ladies you will probably enjoy this.....

Yep. I watched it and loved it. Tom bulks up for some of his movies as does Christian Slater who I am also very partial to. Skinny one minute,bulked up the next.... And I am also very partial to a tattoo_On the right body of course.

I came on to say that The Green Mile is on tonight. 10.10 on ITV 4. Do I need to watch it? No. Am I gonna watch it? Definitely....

There is something very comforting about re-watching favourite films isn't there. You know,something that you don't have to concentrate too much on.

( Actually ... The nasty guard in The Green Mile... You know the one who steps on the mouse and the big prisoner brings it back to life? )
WELL... He is the 50 odd year old husband who married the very Barbie looking girl ( who was 16 when they married) who was recently on Big Brother. You know the one... With the titties and the hair extensions who was SO entertaining...

Nobody else watched it then? Oh well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Hutchison

hornplayer

Calling all movie buffs!!!

Doing a series of children's concerts next week.

I need a tune, preferably a horn tune, from a recent film that kids between 7 and 11 will recognise for when we introduce the different instruments.

Last year I did Beauty and the Beast, Harry Potter the year before, Star Wars, pirates of the Caribbean etc. in previous years.

Best idea so far for this year is the opening of the new Star Trek film. Not much fun to play, but the best I've got so far.

- Any ideas????

C

chris lowe

I love an old black and white Jean Cocteau film La Belle et La Bete (Beauty and the Beast) some of the scenes are quite surreal - such as the candle holders on the walls of the castle are arms coming through the walls.

I"ve lost count of the number of times I've watched 2001 A Space Oddessey, Where Eagles Dare, Rebecca (Larry O) and Wuthering Heights (Orson Wells). My other film passion is Guillermo del Torro films, especially the foreign language ones, Pans Labyrinth, Cronos, Julia"s Eyes, The Orphanage, and a Almodavar film called the Skin I Live In with Antonio Banderas as a plastic surgeon who takes his revenge on the guy who raped his young daughter.

If any of you can get out to the cinema, on October 31st there is an "encore" showing of the National Theatre production of Frankenstein produced by Danny Boyle with Benedict Cumberbatch as th monster and Johnny Lee Miller as the Doctor. Although I've seen it before it was an awesome production and well worth seeing again. There's another showing in November with the monster/Doctor roles reversed. It's on in most of the big chains (Odeon/Vue/Cineworld). I would love it on dvd but according to the NT website, the actors don't want it released that way.

PS If Benedict Cumberbatch was named Quentin, would he now be known as Q Cumberpatch (sorry)

hornplayer

Came home from work feeling a bit narked, for some not very important reason.

Watched Quartet three times in a row. The nark is now a background nark.

That's a lovely film. - Don't know if it's a musician thing but I just love it.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This film was on BBC a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEjMqtUAfCA

This is a favourite film of mine about the life of Edith Piaff.

In French with English subtitles.

Oscar-winning biopic of French singer Edith Piaf, with Marion Cotillard and Gerard Depardieu. Piaf escaped life in a Normandy brothel to become one of France's biggest stars. (R)

Award-winning biopic of French chanteuse and diva Edith Piaf, whose tumultuous life started in abject poverty on the streets of Paris and ended amongst the trials and tragedy of stardom.

Available on the I Player until 21st October.

roland b

My fav movie from 2012 Untouchable is well worth shout. I haven't laughed like that in years.
[youtube]ZQgEohqf2o8[/youtube]

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
roland b said:
My fav movie from 2012 Untouchable is well worth shout. I haven't laughed like that in years.
[youtube]ZQgEohqf2o8[/youtube]

That is one of my faves too.

Love it. In French but with English subtitles. Well worth a watch.

Tonight at 9.00 on Film 4 is Forrest Gump.

I shall not be watching it !! ( Yeah,right...)