1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Moving Abroad with an Insulin Pump

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by insulinismylifesource, Aug 22, 2020.

1. insulinismylifesource

insulinismylifesource Type 1 · Newbie

Hi all, after having had type 1 diabetes for almost 12 years now I have finally decided to join this website (thus, I apologise if I have placed this query in the wrong thread etc).. I have had a burning question for yearsss now. I have seen a lot of questions about moving abroad with type 1, but the vast majority of these are focused on those using insulin pens.

Background: One of my only dreams in life has been to move abroad, yet having type 1 diabetes has made it feel impossible at times. I am a recent university graduate, and seeing lots of my friends being able to move somewhere else without a second thought has made me extremely envious and is further making me see the doom and gloom of my own existence.
    I did live in Spain as part of my degree for a year, but I cannot emphasise enough the stress I went through in getting enough diabetes supplies for a year... one that was supposed to be fun and educational overall, not one that made me question whether I would perish.

Anyway, long story short: has anybody managed to move abroad permanently on an insulin pump (and preferably a CGM/ libre sensor too, since I use the latter)? How did you go about it? If somebody has an experience with the Spanish system that would be even better.

My main concern is that if I do not move abroad with a company that offers me private healthcare... would the public healthcare system allow me to continue with my insulin pump and sensor? I guess I could move back to insulin pens but I have been using a pump for more years than pens now and I am afraid my hba1c will fare worse... I am afraid of the mental stress this may cause.

Any examples of moving anywhere in the world with an insulin pump (long-term, so say over a year) would be very much appreciated! I am aware that each country will handle this situation differently.. which is partly why it is so overwhelming and confusing.

Thank you.

2. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Getting good control with pens is also achievable. I worked overseas in China, Mexico and the UAE for 10 years and I was never able to rely on a state system. You would have to take pump and CGM supplies with you. Insulin in these countries was cheap, though, and I often bought it from pharmacies. In China and Mexico no prescription was required. I would switch back to pens before going overseas. It simplifies what is already a complex process.

3. Mad76

Mad76 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry no experience of pump either
    I've been here in Algeria for over a year now. Using pens , easy and cheap to buy..no prescription needed. I get my sister to send me freestyle libres via dhl !

Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook