Moving To UK From America

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings,

I'm moving to the UK in early May after 38 years outside the country. Seven months ago I joined this forum because I already knew about the move and wanted to find a UK place to get advice about diabetes (I never mentioned the move on the forum because the timing of the move was very uncertain until recently). When I joined the forum, I had been relatively recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes but had already managed to bring my BG numbers under control through a low-carb diet (no drugs).

This forum turned out to be an amazing place for *anyone* with diabetes regardless of their geographical location but it was still really useful to find out how the UK medical system handles the condition. So when I arrive in the UK just over a month from now I will be quite well informed about the strong points, and weak points, of the NHS in handling T2D.

I am settling in a village in Kent where I've already rented a home, and will be transferring my small graphic design business lock, stock and barrel from America to the UK. My American wife is awaiting her UK "leave to remain" (residence permit) and will join me as soon as it is issued. One of my daughters already lives in the UK and so do my sister and other relatives. (Complicated story. I was born in France of British parents and nowadays have strong roots in France, the UK and the USA.)

Yet again I would like to thank everyone on this forum who has been so helpful to me and others. It has been a very stressful time preparing for this transatlantic move but we're finally on the "home stretch." I strongly suspect that my A1C has suffered as a result of the weeks and weeks of limited sleep, limited exercise, and so on.... I am bracing myself for the canonical lecture from the Diabetes Nurse in the local NHS surgery.

I am moving to a beautiful part of England with lots and lots of local hiking/walking opportunities so am very confident that the recent "poor personal care" can be reversed relatively soon after my arrival. About the only danger, if you can call it that, is that the large village I am moving to has four pubs (all within a five-minute walk of my new house) and I am very fond of beer....

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope the move goes well for you. I'm sure you will realise that the England you will be returning to is a very different place from the one you left, but I hope it turns out to be everything you are hoping for. The poor old NHS is under a lot of pressure at the moment, as you will find out, but it's still preferable to a system that only benefits the wealthy or those in secure employment with insurance.

There's some beautiful places in Kent; I spent three years at University in Canterbury, and still love that part of the world. Welcome back :)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Greetings,

I'm moving to the UK in early May after 38 years outside the country. Seven months ago I joined this forum because I already knew about the move and wanted to find a UK place to get advice about diabetes (I never mentioned the move on the forum because the timing of the move was very uncertain until recently). When I joined the forum, I had been relatively recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes but had already managed to bring my BG numbers under control through a low-carb diet (no drugs).

This forum turned out to be an amazing place for *anyone* with diabetes regardless of their geographical location but it was still really useful to find out how the UK medical system handles the condition. So when I arrive in the UK just over a month from now I will be quite well informed about the strong points, and weak points, of the NHS in handling T2D.

I am settling in a village in Kent where I've already rented a home, and will be transferring my small graphic design business lock, stock and barrel from America to the UK. My American wife is awaiting her UK "leave to remain" (residence permit) and will join me as soon as it is issued. One of my daughters already lives in the UK and so do my sister and other relatives. (Complicated story. I was born in France of British parents and nowadays have strong roots in France, the UK and the USA.)

Yet again I would like to thank everyone on this forum who has been so helpful to me and others. It has been a very stressful time preparing for this transatlantic move but we're finally on the "home stretch." I strongly suspect that my A1C has suffered as a result of the weeks and weeks of limited sleep, limited exercise, and so on.... I am bracing myself for the canonical lecture from the Diabetes Nurse in the local NHS surgery.

I am moving to a beautiful part of England with lots and lots of local hiking/walking opportunities so am very confident that the recent "poor personal care" can be reversed relatively soon after my arrival. About the only danger, if you can call it that, is that the large village I am moving to has four pubs (all within a five-minute walk of my new house) and I am very fond of beer....

I sincerely hope that your move to the UK is smooth and as stress free as possible

You are right about this forum which I too have found supportive in so many ways

An odd trip to the pub or pubs I’m sure will not do you any harm

All the very best to you and don’t forget your umbrella lol

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings,

Exciting times, Grateful.

It sounds like you are very organised, and with family around you, you'll have a ready made domestic support network on place.

I know when we acquired our home-from-home, over time we had some sometimes frustrating realisations and frustrations, but those were mainly short/medium term issues with voltages and so so. Nothing that couldn't be cured by an investment in a decent step-up/step-down transformer (or two!) and a haul of eBay/Amazon for replacement power leads to negate the need for horrid plug adaptors for the dual voltage stuff.

It'll all fall into place before you know it, and the A1c might not be as bad as you fear, as I'm sure you'll have been very busy, so maybe upped the incidental exercise in the build up. Of course, it you wanted to, you could probably do a quick A1c+Now test to give yourself a clue, but that's just an aside.

You'll pick up the language without too many issues. ;)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Greetings,

@Grateful how nice to hear your moving to UK with your family,I've not seen you on lately but you've been very busy so that's probably why,anyway welcome and look forward to seeing more posts from you once your settled! K