Status
Not open for further replies.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Noooo - oh what a hoot.
All that weird and wonderful goings on with the strange symptoms and sudden collapses - and if my husband was being put into an ambulance miles away would I be on the internet? It seemed very strange at the time, but I thought well - people ignore their offspring and interact with their phones so maybe - just maybe.....
I'm actually quite glad he's not dead - he's probably not even ill.
There are some strange people in this world.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably doesn't even exist in all honesty- I bet you a a big fat low carb slice of cake that not one of those photos belonged to the said con merchant - if we looked hard enough we would probably find them as stock photos available to anyone - or "pinched" from Facebook etc

Reactions: Simon84

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably doesn't even exist in all honesty- I bet you a a big fat low carb slice of cake that not one of those photos belonged to the said con merchant - if we looked hard enough we would probably find them as stock photos available to anyone - or "pinched" from Facebook etc

There are many folk here who use stock photos and are suspicious, I follow one of them with joy as their posts are hilarious in the way they pull other people in and yes, I have reported them but I was asked to supply proof. Tineye is a brilliant.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now we know the true reason for Mrs Robbie absence, she has something to grieve about, getting publicly banned as a con artist. :meh:

At the time we didn’t and my comment stands.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure they were that clever.
He gave a lot of information throughout his posts.
Combining the information provides some very interesting results.;)
A bit like a jig saw , a lot of us only focused on individual parts that didn't quite fit. It's only when you stand back you see the whole picture and how wrong it actually appears.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or she?- or them? They were clever enough for a while - but I agree taking a step back and looking at all the posts does give a lot of insight into irregularities:)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Mind you it just makes you realise how one can pull the wool over anothers eyes! And also how easy it can be if you have the time.

A good confidence trickster will study his/her/their potential victims for months, maybe even longer. She/he/they could have been on this forum for ages just perusing through threads to gain the knowledge they needed and then play on the empathy, compassion and kindness of real members to get their exploitation started. We don't know, it could have been a young man or woman or even a teenager!

The majority of people in this world are decent and try to live as decent human beings. It is sad that there are those out there that will exploit this for their own gain and hurt those that believe they are genuine. Awful, like stating you have cancer when you haven't to someone who has actually been through it to gain something.

Cold and callous individuals with but one thought.. Themselves..

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But, but......... I though everything on the internet was true!! Now I feel like a real schlup

Reactions: archersuz

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
But, but......... I though everything on the internet was true!! Now I feel like a real schlup
Didn't anybody tell you you should not believe everything you read. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ah well you live and learn.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mind you it just makes you realise how one can pull the wool over anothers eyes! And also how easy it can be if you have the time.

A good confidence trickster will study his/her/their potential victims for months, maybe even longer. She/he/they could have been on this forum for ages just perusing through threads to gain the knowledge they needed and then play on the empathy, compassion and kindness of real members to get their exploitation started. We don't know, it could have been a young man or woman or even a teenager!

The majority of people in this world are decent and try to live as decent human beings. It is sad that there are those out there that will exploit this for their own gain and hurt those that believe they are genuine. Awful, like stating you have cancer when you haven't to someone who has actually been through it to gain something.

Cold and callous individuals with but one thought.. Themselves..
Yes. Thinking back on some of the posts I read (I only joined at the end of Sept), there were a couple of things I thought 'hang on, that doesn't seem right'. The one about scattering Robbie's ashes in the Black Forest stands out - it just seemed odd - and the fact that, as others have stated, Mrs RS was on the internet immediately after his demise - personally, I would have been in such distress that posting stuff would have been the last thing on my mind, but I put it down to the modern way. I couldn't know about the more technical/medical side of the posts but they seemed to be true because there was no reaction, although there were probably PMs flying off to the mods. Another thing about general forum behaviour/etiquette is that it is very difficult to publicly voice concerns without risking being called out for insensitivity etc (hence the PMs), although I do remember seeing one or two querying posts. If all our speculation is correct (and it seems so), then I am at a loss to understand why these individuals do it. But, as @kevinfitzgerald has pointed out, the majority of people are decent and kind, and try to help as much as they can, and that's the thing to remember in all of this.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's an ancient internet saying that no-one on the internet knows if you're a dog - i.e. with anonymity comes the ability to be whoever or whatever you fancy. Sometimes being able to remain (for the most part anonymous can be a safety net but it also means that you can happily be a troll or a con artist, so you do need to ne a little wary about who and what you can trust - unfortunately. And this has been the case since way before facebook ever reared its (IMO) ugly head...

Robbity

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There's an ancient internet saying that no-one on the internet knows if you're a dog - i.e. with anonymity comes the ability to be whoever or whatever you fancy. Sometimes being able to remain (for the most part anonymous can be a safety net but it also means that you can happily be a troll or a con artist, so you do need to ne a little wary about who and what you can trust - unfortunately. And this has been the case since way before facebook ever reared its (IMO) ugly head...

Robbity

I personally class Facebook to be worse than diabetes.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I personally class Facebook to be worse than diabetes.

It really depends how you use it. I’ve supported strangers through their newborn sons heart op, arranged jobs, saved women form abandoning breast feeding, found total strangers to support me, organised volunteers, rescued food to feed those in food poverty, found a plethora of information on various subjects, asked for help and got honest and genuine help...

The list goes on. If you want to see the negativity, you’ll find it. I see and get none.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I intend to retain my own integrity by treating every post as genuine, unless I see signs they are not, and never sending money - just sympathy, chat and occasional humour. I really don’t want this one incident to affect the good information and human connections I think we all find here.

Reactions: karen8967

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I thought the daughter op and T1 strange but gave benefit of doubt.. and fact that Morriston hospital mentioned.. but again benefit of doubt given by me.

I still think there is another poster that may not be genuine but not 100% sure.. again given benefit of doubt at moment.

There are excellent con people in real life, so internet is no different.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some people can talk more easily about the conditions around their dead... I would like my ahes to be spread in the sea...

Status
Not open for further replies.