murph524/newcastle diet

B

badcat

sparkyrich said:
I fancy having a go at this diet (reckon I'll have tried them all eventually) but I've a question that's confusing me. On the Newcastle site it says no dairy yet all the shakes I've seen (like slimfast for example) are made up using skimmed milk. Do you make your shakes with water? Or does it mean no extra dairy apart from the shakes? Sorry if I'm being nim but thought I'd best ask

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I'm not doing the nd but sometimes have a whey protein shake instead of a meal if I'm not very hungry. I make it up with lite soya milk which tastes fine but is lower carbs and lower cals than dairy milk

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
murph524 said:
Hi, lisa5466

It's good to see that there is other people doing the diet at the same time, my fasting bloods when i started where 10.3,sat they went down to 8.3, but today back to 8.7.

I have not been exercising that much, but i was trying to give it a week for my body to get used to the lack of food, i have a exercise bike, did 10 mins yesterday, going to start taking the dog to the park for a half hour walk per night, also 20 to 30 mins on exercise bike, i also have a multi gym in the house, but i wanted to lose the weight before i started to put on some muscle.

As to the diet i have been sticking to it very strictly, well i did have 300 grams of veg one day instead of the 250 grams aloud.

I am wondering what have you been doing with your tablets that you take ?

I am still taking the blood pressure and cholesterol tablets,
I was on 4 x sr metformin, which i came down to 3 the day before the diet,
I stopped the glimepiride that i was on, the doctor thought that with the lack of carbs in the diet that i might get some hypos
I was thinking of going back to taking the 4 metformin until my numbers came down.

But i would defo like to hear how you are getting on with your progress, Also any tips that i might not know, also any recipes?

hope to hear back from you

Hi murph
I wasn't taking any medication as I had only recently been diagnosed, three days before I started this diet.
I've read your update and we do seem to be on the same path, although you seem to be doing a lot better than me.
I'm at the end of week two today, and I've struggled for the last two days. I was on for a total weight loss of 8lbs but I've gained 3lb through cheating for two days, I'm seriously disappointed in myself but I'm back on track again now.
My bloods are excellent still, reading consistently in the high 4s, I'm running every other day, following the 'couch to 5k' app on my iphone.
Please keep updating as you are giving me the motivation to keep going.

murph524

Hi, sparkyrich

The shakes i am using are the asda shakes made up with skimmed milk, due to the reason i could not find any shakes that could be made up with water and were around 200 calories, if i made them up with water they would have 80 less calories per shake,
I know it says that you should not use any milk at all, but i didn't have much of a choice, But going by what other people have said, that they have dropped the weight and their numbers have came down, so i'm just hoping for the best.

Good luck with the diet if you decide to give it a try.

Hi lisa,

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow for me, its also been quite hard going for the last 2 days, i have been a lot more hungry and tired, but i have managed not to have anything that i should not have.
I didn't exercise that much before the diet, but i'm now walking the dog a lot more, every little helps,
My numbers are not as good as yours, but are going in the right direction.

LIsa, i know how hard i can be to be motivated to keep yourself going, but if you think that it's only 8 weeks of your life to try and help yourself to be a lot more healthier into old age and to keep the diabetic complications at bay, and hopefully to give us another 10 to 15 years of healthy living.

So get yourself back on track and good luck.

islelassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been borderline diabetic for a number of years, just given old style diet from GP which I ignored as it was full of high carbs. I went onto a low GI diet and my blood sugar levels fell . I then moved and started to eat more carbs again and now I have been told I have three months to try and get the levels down by diet or I will be given metformin.

I have no intention of going onto any form of medication if I can do things differently. Metformin has it's own problems.

So as soon as I get back from my current holiday with family I am going to go on the Newcastle Diet and then continue with low carb indefinitely. I have seen it work for friends and it did work for me when I bothered to do it three years ago.

Trouble is I will have to probably lie about what I am doing to the diabetic nurse because she is still working from the old hymn sheet of plenty of carbs.

murph524

Hi, isle lassie. I also got no encouragement from my doctor or nurse, but I still went ahead with it anyway. So good luck when you do decide to go ahead with the diet

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I fell of the wagon just short of the two weeks mark. I had a few excuses but the temptations were too much for this week soul so I had three days of not on the diet. I got back on Tuesday and hopefully there will be less temptations around.

I have lost about 11 lbs and about 3 inches of my waist.

My weekly average has come down from 6.9 to 5.8mmol/L and in the last week even an hour after food I have not been above 7mmol/L (when I have tested, I haven't after every meal).

I may not have cured or reversed my diabetes by the end of this but at least i will have given it a shot.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Murph

Any updated results for us all? Hope you have been ok!

Cara

murph524

12th day = bloods 7.1
weight = 12.11

13th day = bloods 7.3
weight = 12.11

14th day = bloods 7.0
weight = 12.10
that's the end of the second week, i would normally be sitting here with a wine in one hand and a bag of revels ( sharing pack just for me ) in the other, and a pizza in the oven, Iv'e got a feeling this is why my numbers have been slowly going in the wrong direction, lol .
but seriously, there have been a few hard days coming up to the end of the 2 weeks, but iv'e managed to stay clear of any temptations up to now.
total weight loss for 2 weeks = 10lbs and bloods down from 10.3 to 7.0

Start of 3rd week
15th day = bloods = 6.9
weight = 12.9
I did about 3 hours of hard graft in the garden today, could barely make it back into the house, but that's the most exercise iv'e had in 2 weeks,

16th day = bloods = 6.2
weight = 12.8
I had a four and a half hour round of golf today, I was definately tiring for the last 3 holes,
I was wondering if the big drop in bloods from yesterday would be down to the exercise the day before.
I am still taking 3 sr metformin a day, i was going to wait until i was in the 5's before reducing it, but i presume that once i went down to 2 the numbers would go back up for a while.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hope it's still going well Murph!

Thanks for updating the results

Very inspiring!
Cara

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm relieved to read that I'm not the only weak willed soul on here! My bathroom scales died and so I've had to go and buy a new set and they read about three pounds heavier than the old ones, so I've lost track of my weight loss, that has inspired to get my act together and get back on track.
Also I've had a crazy few days but things are settled now so back for round two!
Murph you are doing fantastic, definitely keeping me motivated, I know I can do it!
I'll keep following so please keep updating.

murph524

17th day = bloods = 6.2
weight = 12.8
Very tired today, just seemed to have no energy, went to bed early.

18th day = bloods = 5.7
weight = 12.8
A big drop in fasting bloods,

19th day = bloods = 6.6
weight = 12.8
Oh no, whats happening to my bloods, i presume that the big drop in the bloods the last few days were down to the exercise that i had done at the weekend, and this is it going back to what is was with no exercise.

20th day = bloods = 6.8
weight = 12.7
I was starting to think that the weight would never come down, but that's another pound off,

21st day = bloods = 6.2
weight = 12.6
Well that's 3 weeks in now, iv'e still managed to stick strictly to the diet, but it's been hard going, I find it hard to believe that some people sailed through this diet with no problems, it seems to play mind games with you.
But that's a 14lb weight loss and bloods down from 10.3 to 6.2, so its keeping me motivated seeing things going in the right direction.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Murph

Have you got an end date in sight? I'm going to do my diet for half a school term as then it seems there will be an end date I can focus on, I'll have a break, eat well but low carb/and/or low calorie and then do another Newcastle Diet in November ready for Xmas if I found the first time ok.

Your results are inspiring!

I'm going to have my mixed vegetable tonight (Day 4)!

Cara

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi murph, you really are doing well. Due to my lack of will power I've still remained the same weight this week I haven't checked my bg as I'm out of strips, but I had a dream last night that it had gone right up so I'm going to Boots when it opens at 11.00am.
I intend to go for a run, I'm certain the exercise makes a big difference and I haven't been for a week. Keep going and keep posting.

murph524

Hi Cara
The end date i have for the diet is the 11th Oct, this will be the full 8 weeks ( that's what i'm hoping for anyway ) So you are doing it half at a time, i hope this gives you good results. My diet finishes 4 days before i go on holiday to Majorca, so iv'e got a few day to get back into normal eating, ( lowish carb ) and Xmas lunch already booked,( it's a carb fest ) can't wait,

Hi Lisa
How long have you been doing it for now ?
When my willpower is waining and all you can think of is food, what i do is either a cup of green tea or a big glass of water or diet juice, 10 mins later craving is normally gone,
when you mention your willpower and your weight, what have you been going off the diet with, the odd snack or complete meals ?

You say that you have run out of testing strips, don't you get free strips ?
I live in Aberdeen and my GP has always been good about giving me strips ( 4 boxes at a time ) so i can just test at any time.

I think you are right about the exercise it really does help, but when your'e not used to that much exercise it does make it quite hard to fit it in.

Which shakes have you both been using ?
Any good recipes ?

I would like thank you both for the encouragement, it really helps, when you think your'e doing it all alone, then you come on here and read the words of encouragement.

Keep up the good work yourselves.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Murph

I'm doing a mid week check in! How is it going? You have just 4 weeks to go!

I hope you are staying on the plan!

Cara :D

murph524

Hi cara, still sticking to diet, numbers seem to be jumping about, weight seems to have stalled, I will post numbers tonight when I get home from work. How is it going for you ?

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
My weight stalled for a few days but reading up that is fairly normal apparently.

Just got back from GP's. I have just short of 4 weeks left and he is happy with my results so far.

murph524

22nd day = bloods = 7.0
weight = 12.6

23rd day = bloods = 6.8
weight = 12.5

24th day = bloods = 6.0
weight = 12.5

25th day = bloods = 7.2
weight = 12.5

26th day = bloods = 5.9
weight = 12.6

my weight seems to have stalled a bit, but with only eating 800 calories a day it won't be long before it's on it's way down again.
got a bit worried when bloods went from 6.0 to 7.2, but the next day back down to 5.9.
did anybody else have bloods that were jumping about ?
also still taking 3 sr metformin at night, down from 4, does anyone have any suggestions about when to reduce my metformin ?
I was going to wait until i was down to about 5.0, I don't have any reason for this, it just feels about the right number,
Do people who have finished the diet still take some metformin ? or should i be looking to come off them completely ?

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Murph, my weight has stalled also, and my bg went up although only slightly so we're still on a similar journey.
I saw my GP on Tuesday, she still insists this won't work although she was impressed with my determination and weight loss so far.
I'm not on medication so can't advise on that I'm sorry, I guess that's why I don't get my testing strips from the GP.
I'm using mostly Asda or Tesco shakes as they have slightly fewer calories than slim fast.
You're doing better than me Murph, definitely keep posting please, I need motivation.....

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Lisa,

What are your results so far?

Cara (week 1 completed!)