1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Muscle Food

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by _Pete_, Jun 28, 2019.

1. _Pete_

_Pete_ · Member

Hi peeps, new bod here, diagnosed for over a year and starting to batten down the carb hatches a bit more than i have been.

I've been hunting around for diet ideas and obviously Chicken/Meat has become a main part of what i eat. I'm always hacked off with most chicken breasts from Tesco's/Sainsbury's as the water content in them is pretty high sometimes.

Today i ordered a bundle from Muscle Food .com - they seem pretty competitive on price. Plan to split up all the goodies and chuck them in the chest freezer. Just wondered if anyone has used them before?

Any other money saving, bulk buying ideas appreciated!

Ta :)

2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I cook a whole chicken at a time. I use the bones and stock for broths, and take the meat off and bag and freeze it so I have instant protein at all times. A free range chicken (or organic if you can afford it) doesnt have that added sludge in it. The water is often not just water, making it nasty for broth uses. Check the labels too for 100% chicken. My favourite is Lidl for meat and chicken.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Mince is always good for burgers or Diet Doctors crack slaw.
    Pork belly is good.
    Chicken I usually only buy whole these days and spatchcock it cooked in the oven.
    Lamb is great at the moment new season just coming up in the shops.
    Make friends with your local butcher.

4. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I buy fresh meat and freeze it, or have the butcher freeze it before collection.
    I do not by frozen, and check the packaging on cooked meats as it can be less than 3/4 meat by weight - which I will not buy on principle.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook