DawnyBlue81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People! Animal Cruelty
Muscle weakness in arms and legs.
Has anyone else found that they have this? I was walking dog up a small but steep hill that I've walked up 100's of times over the last few months. Any I could hardly lift my legs it felt like I had concrete in my wellies. I also find that when washing my hair I struggle to keep my arms up to massage in the shampoo. I've been low carb/keto for 4 or 5 months now do you think I should be seeing my doctor about this? X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might need a few extra carbs - just a few - Dr Atkins described 'ascension weakness' where walking up stairs caused problems.
If you are getting low blood glucose readings adding in a few extra servings of carbs each week might make all the difference.

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suggest taking magnesium supplements and making sure you are getting enough salt.

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Muscle weakness in arms and legs.
Has anyone else found that they have this? I was walking dog up a small but steep hill that I've walked up 100's of times over the last few months. Any I could hardly lift my legs it felt like I had concrete in my wellies. I also find that when washing my hair I struggle to keep my arms up to massage in the shampoo. I've been low carb/keto for 4 or 5 months now do you think I should be seeing my doctor about this? X
Hi I did have these symptoms about 2yr ago, do you have any pain when you get the weakness or any pins and needles sensation? Including when you wake in the morning.
Also have you recently had any bad colds or flu like illness that you had problems shaking it off?
If the answer is no to the above then I would say it is carb flu, your body is getting used to the lack of carbs and is now taking the energy it needs from elsewhere which is the less priority parts of your body ie arms and legs so you will need to either increase your carbs slightly or increase your fat intake to compensate the carbs. It's nothing major to worry about but I would suggest that you take multi vitamins as well and the next time you have your hba1c ask for your b12 to be checked as well
Ron

DawnyBlue81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People! Animal Cruelty
Hi Guys, Thanks for the replys. I haven't been ill or had any pain etc just can't lift either for long. I'm on Magnesium and zinc supplement as well as potassium, iron, cod liver oil and a general vit min supplement. I also try to eat lots of veggies like broccoli and spinach. Since being on 20 carbs or less my hb1 has gone from late 90's to Early 50's and blood sugars from in their 20's to between 6 and 7. I don't ever think I've actually reached "ketosis" as I've never really noticed the extra energy, brain clarity etc. I walk the dog every day without fail for an hour. I guess after seeing the good blood results been on 20g carbs it scares me to up them again.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @DawnyBlue81 - what a terrific result from late 90s to low 50s - well done.

I thought the above advice re checking on your B12 to be particularly good. Maybe couldn't help to supplement anyway with such an awful thing happening re muscle weakness? (I do, spray some in there from time to time.)

It is highly unlikely isn't it? That you haven't been going in and out of ketosis on a ketogenic diet? I do the el cheapo option of ketostix from time to time when curious (really keen folk buy the super duper keto blood meter). Especially when IFing, or fasting proper. It can be interesting - maybe you should do it?

What I like about low carb/keto eating is it is entirely, or almost entirely :), sustainable, for me - I hope - lifelong. (Unless I find another way of eating to be equally sustainable, but better for my health. Have not done that yet.) I hope it can prove that way for you? Especially as you have been getting such a good result so far.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Me too and it affects my walking mainly. My health team put it down to bulging discs but I read some emotional problems can cause trauma but if it was psychological it would only last a few days at most.

Seeing that your only change is diet its logical to think diet caused. Many are getting b12 deficiency and GPs have been alerted to its possibilities. Mainly from metformin thou.

I became a shocking wreck on 30g carb diet and ended up in hospital with severe palpitations. Ended up on more medications to protect my heart and circulatory system. Severe diets cause severe changes.
If your diet is coming close to hypoing your liver will find stores but don't forget your muscles will find stores too.
I think your body is telling you what its doing.
Your muscles are busy so they cannot work as well as they normally do. They are busy keeping you alive.
Don't punish your muscles this way, now you know.
Your body is reacting to not enough glucogon from your liver so taking it from your muscles?
I too think your diet is too severe and your body is telling you. Listen to your body and don't punish it.

The only other alternative is your statins are causing the same side effects.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I suggest taking magnesium supplements and making sure you are getting enough salt.
I agree! It helped me with those same symptoms and breathlessness.