my blood pressure (newly diagnosed t1)

selucka

Hello everyone! I'm 27 and I'm newly diagnosed T1 (my pancreas does not produce insulin). I have a question regrading blood pressure. What are your normal blood pressure values when you measure your blood pressure? Are your values lower than 130/80 anytime? I have measured my blood pressure and the numbers don't look good. HOw do you cope with high blood pressure? How do you lower it? Any other tips than low calorie diet with a little salt and regular exercise? Do you have any other symptoms because of high blood pressure? Please respond! Thank you for answers!
S.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was advised to keep my bp below 130/70 after having previous problems with diabetic retinopathy, my bp on average is 115-120/63-70 although I do take a daily dose of Ramipril (5mg). Apart from the that I try and eat healthy and exercise everyday for no less than 60mins, also use very little salt in cooking preferring to use black pepper and herbs to season my food.

I'm type 1 too btw.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could be lots of causes but a big one is stress. If you can't rearrange your life to be less stressful, try practicising meditation or scheduling in some relaxation time.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second what mentat said. After I was diagnosed I was turned away from a gym because they said it was too high! I was a relatively fit 19 year old and doubt that I had chronic high BP. I think it can be quite acute, so try to de-stress. Ironically, exercise helps to reduce it!

I've used this site recently to make sense of my readings: http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPre ... ssurechart

selucka

noblehead said:
There's also another article to read that demonstrates the importance of keeping bp below the recommended limits:

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevent ... essure.htm
Thank you for this! Thanks evryone for your input.
I will go with this blood pressure chart
blood-pressure-chart-small.jpg

My last blood pressure measured was around 130/85 mmHg (this is an average) and this values are not good. For non-diabetics, a value of 130/80 can still be treated as normal, but for diabetics (type1) blood pressure value of 130/80+ is not only bad, but it can represent arterial hypertension as well (this is what I read)....
Yes, I will definitely try to rearrange my life to make it less stressful. But in today's society it's hard to make life less stressful (job, debt for car, debt for house etc). It's a challenge.
Anyway, I always liked sports (played basketball in high school) and my diet consists of very little salt (I mainly use Himalayan salt).

Could be lots of causes but a big one is stress. If you can't rearrange your life to be less stressful, try practicising meditation or scheduling in some relaxation time.
Never been a fan of meditating (as I was very hyperactive as a kid and still am a little), but I might give this a try :)

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
selucka said:
Never been a fan of meditating (as I was very hyperactive as a kid and still am a little), but I might give this a try :)

All the more reason to practice meditation! Relaxation is a skill and meditation is a way of practising - when you meditate regularly, you train your brain to be able to calm down and get peace even in stressful situations. After I learned to meditate, I found it much easier to tell myself to relax and clear my mind at a moment's notice (without going into proper meditation).