My BS shoots up after every meal. WHY?

CoolGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Guys,

Why Blood Sugar levels shoots up after every meal, even after following DIET as advised as well as medication taken as per advise.

It shoots up to 220mg/dl Postprandial 1 hr after BF and then comes down to 180 mg/dl Postprandial 2 hrs after BF.

BR

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All of the starch and sugar (carbohydrate) you eat gets converted into glucose in your digestive system. This then causes a rise in Blood Glucose Levels with the one hour normally the peak and coming down from that point. You do not say what your level was before you ate but those numbers at 1 and 2 hours are both pretty hight. You need to aim for 120 at the 2 hour point but can be challenging.

There are 2 main methods of reducing your Blood Glucoe Levels
1. Targeted Exercise to reduce them. To do this go for a 30 minute walk about 40 to 60 mins after starting to eat.

2. Change what you eat. You remember I said Starch. Well that is what you get from bread, grain, potatoes, rice, pasta. Try to cut down on the amount of these and also change them to versions that are less absorbing (white bread to a multiseeded bread and go from say 4 slices to 1 slice per day or replace white rice with brown rice and cut your portion size). This is the biggest weapon in your arsenal. There are 2 types of diet you could follow: a low GI diet (like the multiseeded bread) or a low carb diet. There are lots of information on this site to help you.

If you have any further questions please ask

CoolGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
My early morning FBS reading is in the range of 118mg/dl to 130 mg/dl. This has considerably come down from my previous range i.e. 150 mg/DL to 180 mg/dl.

As far as DIET is concerned, I am following the advise of doctor. I consume Brown Rice twice a week that too only in the afternoon. Or else, I am on Multi Grain Roti (Indian Bread) and suggested vegetables. My consumption pattern ( appx.) - 1200 Calories per day, 175gm of Carb per day, 35 gm Protein.

I work around 12 hrs sitting. Hence have included appx. 60 minutes of medium intensity walk. Some weeks am able to go all days, some weeks 3/4 times in a week. It just depends on Work Load.

Let me know your views!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well done on your morning blood coming down and on your exercise. If you want further improvement, you may need to cut down or find alternatives to rice and roti.

My bg is coming down by following this way of eating http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I just look at rice and my BG goes up. And that was on brown basmati which l understood was one of the best for diabetics. Check out the advised forum by Avacadro with a view to going low carb high fat and look down this forum main forums section for the low carb forum esp vivs modified Atkins diet if you are only a diabetic worth giving it a go.

A huge number of us just ignore dr's and dn and dieticians etc sort of treat them like an annoying gnat we need to interact with.

Reactions: 5 people

brdavies

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mud island mentioned a key issue. Whose health is it? Your doctor's or yours? I suggest doing a lot of research and taking charge yourself. Doctors are not always right. I fired my first one in fact, and got another that was more up to date on the current state of diabetes care.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Is your weight about average or are you a bit overweight? If the latter then do reduce the carbs a bit further and see if that helps the blood sugar

CoolGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Super. This is the advise I have got from quite a few. Am supposed to reduce appx.20 Kg for my height. Am planning to reduce the CARB down to 75gms per day. Hopefully this should help further!
However I am doing 60mts medium intensity brisk walk all the 7 days.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Super. This is the advise I have got from quite a few. Am supposed to reduce appx.20 Kg for my height. Am planning to reduce the CARB down to 75gms per day. Hopefully this should help further!
However I am doing 60mts medium intensity brisk walk all the 7 days.
Why "however"? I would suggest you do both. Reducing the carbs will not restrict you from the walking and the further reduction will allow you to start losing some of those 20kg

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
CoolGuy, you should definitely start to lose some weight if you reduce your carbs. That is what I am doing at the moment as my weight loss slowed down and stopped for a few weeks. To be honest I think I became a little complacent after I lost over 3 stones and thought I could 'get away' with the odd extra carbs here and there, but found it doesn't work like that!! I haven't gained any weight and lost 2 lbs last week, which to me, proves it is the carbs. My BS numbers are usually under 140 ml/dl at any time of the day, except sometimes if I try and new food and it doesn't suit me. But I find we learn as we go along this road.

CoolGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Yeah. As I am new, guess I need to (a) read a lot (b) experiment well tested advises (c) should zero in on what exactly suits me.

Just for example how things are varying today's example - Morning FBS was 128 mg/dl. Later after 2 hrs of PPBS was 192 mg/dl. In the evening, o went for 60 minutes walk and now, just before dinner Random BS is 118 mg/dl. Am bit confused!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why confused? Those numbers are a little higher than I would like but not too bad. You got up, ate, had raised levels two hours later then exercised to use the glucose up and then had descent numbers

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CoolGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Through out the day, the BS levels were some where around 192 mg/dl - (10am to 8pm) - This is dangerous? or not?

Now, evening after walking it has fallen down to 118 mg/dl - (8pm to 10pm) - This is ok!

And again, after dinner, the counts are up around 190 mg/dl - from 10pm on wards. How do I get it down to 140/160 before going to bed?

Just want to know, these kind of VARIATIONS are common among all diabetics or it is with me?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
192 is above the point where your kidneys start to dump sugar. That is dangerous for you kidneys and you are doing harm

A

Avocado Sevenfold

What did you eat for dinner to achieve 190? (I wouldn't be happy with that myself)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
118 is OK but not great. To get it lower change your diet and target more exercise at your after meal times

CoolGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
That is what I am saying from my FIRST Thread.

During the day, my BG levels shoots up immediately after every meal (breakfast & Lunch). It touches appx around 200+ mg/dl and then after 2 hrs reduces down to may be some where around 180/190 mg/dl.

Does this mean, that through out day (10 am to 8pm), the BG levels are around this figure i.e. 180/190 mg/dl?

I need to have it down to 130/140 levels after 2 hrs of every meal (breakfast & lunch).

How do i achieve this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating? If you give us a typical daily menu we may be able to help.

CoolGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Should I go for WALK after every meal?

Go for 30 minutes walk after Breakfast, then 30 minutes after Lunch, then 30 minutes after 5pm snacks and then 30 minutes after Dinner.
Apart from reducing the Carb content from 200 gm per day to 100 gms per day.