My Diabetes Team

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first started low carbing back in January, I posted about how negative my doctor at the diabetes clinic was. However, he grudgingly went with the idea as long as I spoke to a Dietitien. I did this back in February. She obviously had some misgivings, but cautiously agreed there could be something to this low carb way of eating. She said she would do more research and get back to me with any potential issues. I walked away cautiously optimistic that I had won her over.
Then in March, it was suggested that I speak to another DSN at my diabetes centre. Again, she expressed worries, but said she wanted a more thorough investigation. She attached a continuous blood glucose monitor to me for 6 days, saying I may be having hypos I am not aware of. I returned the sensor at the end of March, and then went to discuss the results with her on the 29th of April. What it showed was that my blood sugars remained between 4 and 7.8 about 95% of the time. I had completed a food, exercise and insulin diary, and the few highs and lows I had were clearly down to man error rather than poor dietary choices. My DSN then made some excellent suggestions (halving my insulin if exercising in the afternoon, amongst others) which have worked well.

Yesterday, I went back to see the Dietitien. When I got to the clinic, it turned out that she had been moved to another area, so I had a new Dietitien to speak with. I braced myself for having to explain low carbing all over again. As it turned out, I didn't need to. The Dietitien described my dietary choice as 'exciting,' saying she had looked at my results and it was clearly a good thing. I had advised my previous Dietitien to read Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, and this advice had been passed on to my new one. She had read a fair way into it, and seemed to be rather converted to the low carb way of thinking.
She said she needed more information from me, and has asked me to give a comprehensive diary of my protein intake and blood sugars, so we can agree on a suitable insulin regime. She also advised on which vitamins I may be deficient in, advising I further increase my green veg intake.

All in all, I am hopeful that the tide is turning, and low carb is being seen a lot more as a great diabetes management tool by the establishment.

Reactions: 6 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Alleluia, there's little bits of hope out there, well done.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic, this is great news. You've worked so hard at this and done a really good job in such a short time.
I don't think the negativity about low-carbing can carry on much longer. It allowed me to reduce my hb1ac considerably, and both my diabetes nurse and consultant haven't disapproved when I casually mentioned I was following a low-carb diet. The consultant said that whatever I was doing, it was definitely working. I was a bit concerned about lipid levels, but he said my results were fine and that my cholesterol levels were better than his own. Only concern I have is that they seem too relaxed with my level of 58, and consider that I don't need a lower target. I don't agree with that.

This is another subject, perhaps another thread: is it ageism to expect less from older patients? :)

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your post really gives me hope. I've just started trying to control my BG with a low carb approach and have just discussed it over the phone with my very scary diabetic nurse. She seemed fine with it, but has suggested it might be useful for me to see a dietician.