MY DIABETIC REVIEW AND THEIR OPINIONS VS YOURS.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent reply, it takes time to pen these doesnt it. I dont quite understand some of it, like how to get into ketosis and know you're there, another member posted 70gr carbs? Gosh 20gr of carbs is a cornflake. I heard you feel ill when you suddenly drop low carbing.

How do you stay under 20gr of carbs? What do you eat? Kind regards Q.
Err you DO know that "cornflake" is akin to a swear word here

Reactions: bulkbiker

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I do sometimes wonder if this forum (consisting of a whole bunch of random people with one thing in common) would exist if the NHS were to start handing out advice that actually worked. Ah... but that would mean they have to admit ti having got it wrong all these years!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do sometimes wonder if this forum (consisting of a whole bunch of random people with one thing in common) would exist if the NHS were to start handing out advice that actually worked. Ah... but that would mean they have to admit ti having got it wrong all these years!
Well we wouldn't be here if the NHS advice hadn't let us down would we? :)

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She told me, ready; dont get to sucked into these forums none of them are medics nor had the training we've had. I fired back with some of the successes I've read on here, that I've bought scales and a cheese cutter to control portions I'm reading packets again just like y'all have told me and I got a "choose for yourself" which is what I've had for a few members on here, I find those comments so disheartening.
BUT.. my after breakfast fast before dinner came in at 7.4. I was so happy such a small thing made my day.

Really? Well I am just that - a medic who qualified a long time ago and am a senior Consultant today in the NHS (not an Endocrinologist though!) Just shows how little your DN has updated her own knowledge, sadly. And how does she know the membership of this forum? I am not the only doctor / nurse here!!

I was only diagnosed a month ago, no help to speak of from my NHS colleagues / GP - and following a lot of info and advice ON HERE have lost approx a stone in weight already and pretty well almost normalised my blood sugars - I am monitoring with my glucometer as well as a Freestyle Libre (self funded) so I get a very good idea of all the trends and how different foods and stress affect me. I am following a LCHF way of life!! And telling everyone at work - all the doctors, nurses, patients and admin I meet daily!!!

And yes, stress / grief / illness / mental health issues - ALL affect diabetes, sometimes very badly, so your situation, with HF, is even more complex, added to the tragic loss of your grandson. You need time, and possibly additional support, to process this.

Ultimately, though, the decision is only yours to make - as a capacitious adult, it is not the DN or people on a forum, or your GP who make those decisions for you - you make what you consider the best decision for yourself, based on your understanding of the best information you are able to access.

Much of the information on this forum relating to diet flies in the face of ALL we learned at medical and nursing schools - I qualified in the 1980's, not sure when @Rachox did - but even recent graduates have had the old Eatwell plate trollied out and spouted at them by their lecturers. patients are still fed "low fat yoghurts" as the "healthy" option where I work , fats of any kind are regarded as evil and the idea that eating high fat / cholesterol items will definitely "lay down plaque and clog your arteries and give you high cholesterol " still abounds in today's NHS, although it is changing. Slowly, as most other things in this country do!!

It's your life and your choice, Q, I do wish you the very best for a great improvement in your health, whatever way you choose to go. We can only tell you what works for ourselves........and post links to new studies and information which contradicts patently wrong, old ideas.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Really? Well I am just that - a medic who qualified a long time ago and am a senior Consultant today in the NHS (not an Endocrinologist though!) Just shows how little your DN has updated her own knowledge, sadly. And how does she know the membership of this forum? I am not the only doctor / nurse here!!

I was only diagnosed a month ago, no help to speak of from my NHS colleagues / GP - and following a lot of info and advice ON HERE have lost approx a stone in weight already and pretty well almost normalised my blood sugars - I am monitoring with my glucometer as well as a Freestyle Libre (self funded) so I get a very good idea of all the trends and how different foods and stress affect me. I am following a LCHF way of life!! And telling everyone at work - all the doctors, nurses, patients and admin I meet daily!!!

And yes, stress / grief / illness / mental health issues - ALL affect diabetes, sometimes very badly, so your situation, with HF, is even more complex, added to the tragic loss of your grandson. You need time, and possibly additional support, to process this.

Ultimately, though, the decision is only yours to make - as a capacitious adult, it is not the DN or people on a forum, or your GP who make those decisions for you - you make what you consider the best decision for yourself, based on your understanding of the best information you are able to access.

Much of the information on this forum relating to diet flies in the face of ALL we learned at medical and nursing schools - I qualified in the 1980's, not sure when @Rachox did - but even recent graduates have had the old Eatwell plate trollied out and spouted at them by their lecturers. patients are still fed "low fat yoghurts" as the "healthy" option where I work , fats of any kind are regarded as evil and the idea that eating high fat / cholesterol items will definitely "lay down plaque and clog your arteries and give you high cholesterol " still abounds in today's NHS, although it is changing. Slowly, as most other things in this country do!!

It's your life and your choice, Q, I do wish you the very best for a great improvement in your health, whatever way you choose to go. We can only tell you what works for ourselves........and post links to new studies and information which contradicts patently wrong, old ideas.
Well I'm so glad to make your acquaintance as you come so qualified, I'm very grateful for your kind reply also and I'd truly appreciate it if you could keep a watch out for my posts, although the real life successes are so hard to ignore.

Your diagnosis is correct, I do have mental struggles which is clinically treated and most of the drugs interfere with BG readings, I recently been diagnosed as B12 deficient and have injections every 8 weeks although they dont seem to work. I have around 6 gallstones and have asked for laparoscopy, hoping to keep gallbladder so already been told if the gallbladder gets binned I'm on a low fat diet for life so where do I go then with LCHF.

I'm sure there are thousands of members with other medical issues just like me, so I'm no better. Many thanks again for your reply, kind regards Q.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.... I have around 6 gallstones and have asked for laparoscopy, hoping to keep gallbladder so already been told if the gallbladder gets binned I'm on a low fat diet for life so where do I go then with LCHF.

Me and my gall bladder parted company in 2000, I eat Low Carb and I’d say moderate fat, (I eat enough to keep me from getting hungry). In fact the chronic diarrhoea I suffer after my cholecystectomy cleared up when I went low carb :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Q007

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Me and my gall bladder parted company in 2000, I eat Low Carb and I’d say moderate fat, (I eat enough to keep me from getting hungry). In fact the chronic diarrhoea I suffer after my cholecystectomy cleared up when I went low carb :)
Well there's hope for me too then, that's great.

Reactions: Rachox

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if the gallbladder gets binned I'm on a low fat diet for life so where do I go then with LCHF.
Completely wrong.

I and many others do lchf perfectly well with no gallbladder. There’s a lot of myths around gallbladders and fat, sadly spread by medical personnel as well as non medical. Several threads on here discuss this and I don’t want to derail this one. Try a search and I’m sure you’ll find a few, or drop me a pm and I’ll update you on my experiences and knowledge.

Reactions: Prem51

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of the “tips” below are real nonsense, agreed, although the gall bladder advice is the same, even on the NHS site. This site usually gives reasonable “mainstream” info apart from some of the (very) dodgy “myths”

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Completely wrong.

I and many others do lchf perfectly well with no gallbladder. There’s a lot of myths around gallbladders and fat, sadly spread by medical personnel as well as non medical. Several threads on here discuss this and I don’t want to derail this one. Try a search and I’m sure you’ll find a few, or drop me a pm and I’ll update you on my experiences and knowledge.
Well hello and thank you for joining in hope the evening finding you well. Interesting views you hold, one thread I was given said minus a gallbladder means no saturated or trans fats. I'm pretty sure I'll lose mine so wanted to ask with fats especially saturated fats. For example I love sausages now and again. Thank you for your reply, kind regards Q.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well hello and thank you for joining in hope the evening finding you well. Interesting views you hold, one thread I was given said minus a gallbladder means no saturated or trans fats. I'm pretty sure I'll lose mine so wanted to ask with fats especially saturated fats. For example I love sausages now and again. Thank you for your reply, kind regards Q.
What people are advised to do and what actually works is not always the same. I believe that thread may be more of the myths I mentioned.

There is a difference in fat digestion (no bile storage) after surgery but that doesn’t mean you have to go low fat. The body adapts given chance in most cases. Some (a minority for sure) do have some difficulty but that is usually temporary and there are meds that can help if nothing else helps. Lchf doesn’t have to be really high, just higher than typically advocated. My gallbladder went 9 months before I started low carb, with some initial problems on an eatwell type diet. That settled in time. Lchf did stir it up temporarily but that was because I added too many fats too quickly. A slower pace and all was fine. I eat as many as I want now and that includes saturated fats (never heard much about specific fats being blamed, sounds like more anti saturated fats brigade jumping on another yet band wagon). Who would want to eat trans fats anyway?

Reactions: Prem51 and Q007

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
already been told if the gallbladder gets binned I'm on a low fat diet for life
I'm another one without a gall bladder and happily eat lots of fats! So first see for yourself before believing you can't eat HF anymore if the thing gets taken out.
You've already gotten enough good advice to keep your mind busy for weeks, so nothing to add. I'd love to say something helpful and friendly about the loss of your grandson but I don't think I have the right words for that.
All the best to you and yours!

edit:
I'm pretty sure I'll lose mine so wanted to ask with fats especially saturated fats. For example I love sausages now and again.
I don't even know what kind of fats I'm eating but I avoid none really. Except I don't like margarine and prefer butter or oil. Third day after operation was the first day I was really hungry again but ate in a group thing and it was one of the fattiest meals imaginable. I wanted to be careful but it just tasted so good that I ate a lot. And nothing happened :)

Last edited:

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
What people are advised to do and what actually works is not always the same. I believe that thread may be more of the myths I mentioned.

There is a difference in fat digestion (no bile storage) after surgery but that doesn’t mean you have to go low fat. The body adapts given chance in most cases. Some (a minority for sure) do have some difficulty but that is usually temporary and there are meds that can help if nothing else helps. Lchf doesn’t have to be really high, just higher than typically advocated. My gallbladder went 9 months before I started low carb, with some initial problems on an eatwell type diet. That settled in time. Lchf did stir it up temporarily but that was because I added too many fats too quickly. A slower pace and all was fine. I eat as many as I want now and that includes saturated fats (never heard much about specific fats being blamed, sounds like more anti saturated fats brigade jumping on another yet band wagon). Who would want to eat trans fats anyway?
Thank you for the reply, hoping they can get the stones out and keep to gallbladder as I dont fancy an 8" scar, hence the laparascopic interest. Really appreciate the advice.
I had a serious MI, 90% block right artery, 90% block left + 50% distal. I got away with a PCI and three stents, the surgeon was talking to me that atherosclerosis caused the 3 clots and that by the grace of god I was lying on his operating table. He went on, on a rant about middle aged men he will all go the same way but die and I was lucky. Sausages and fats and processed foods had brought me that day.
I was more scared about his rant than the PCI procedure.
Telling me fats are OK is like asking me to fall backwards off a cliff and everything will be OK . I trust you because of your CV along with Rachel but please keep the advice coming I really appreciate the kind advice. Kind regards Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I'm another one without a gall bladder and happily eat lots of fats! So first see for yourself before believing you can't eat HF anymore if the thing gets taken out.
You've already gotten enough good advice to keep your mind busy for weeks, so nothing to add. I'd love to say something helpful and friendly about the loss of your grandson but I don't think I have the right words for that.
All the best to you and yours!

edit:
I don't even know what kind of fats I'm eating but I avoid none really. Except I don't like margarine and prefer butter or oil. Third day after operation was the first day I was really hungry again but ate in a group thing and it was one of the fattiest meals imaginable. I wanted to be careful but it just tasted so good that I ate a lot. And nothing happened :)
Sounds scrummy, you know my fave is a full English with sausages, black pudding, 2 eggs and three bacon. No bread, I dont miss it now. Of course washed down with a cuppa tea. It keeps my full all day. Great talking with you. Kind regards Q.

Reactions: Prem51 and Antje77