MY DIABETIC REVIEW AND THEIR OPINIONS VS YOURS.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I regularly eat strawberries with extra thick double cream. The thicker the cream the less carbs it contains. As is often said on this forum, try a few with testing before and after to see how many is ok for you.

Reactions: 1spuds

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here we go with a hint or sarcasm, who's daisy? and please remember I'm starting again with this app so not finding it the easiest to navigate. Thank you for your reply anyway, duly noted. Q.
The sarcasm is levelled at the HCP's needing to repeat the NHS mantras which is a systemic problem, and it not aimed at anyone on the forum, It is something that many of us feel from our own experiences of trying to make the Eatwell plate work when diabetic.

You are IMO starting to take the first steps of using a meter (Eat to meter is a phrase often used on this site, whatever diet plan you follow. It is the immediate feedback given by the meter that provides the impetus to improve our diet, and also the motivation to stop snacking when you see what the after effects of it are. When I started I made a list of do's and don'ts that I pasted to the larder door. I have attached a copy here, but it is quite rough and ready, and not to be taken as gospel It worked for me in my early days

Attachments

• Action Plan.pdf
    153.6 KB · Views: 343

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
The sarcasm is levelled at the HCP's needing to repeat the NHS mantras which is a systemic problem, and it not aimed at anyone on the forum, It is something that many of us feel from our own experiences of trying to make the Eatwell plate work when diabetic.

You are IMO starting to take the first steps of using a meter (Eat to meter is a phrase often used on this site, whatever diet plan you follow. It is the immediate feedback given by the meter that provides the impetus to improve our diet, and also the motivation to stop snacking when you see what the after effects of it are. When I started I made a list of do's and don'ts that I pasted to the larder door. I have attached a copy here, but it is quite rough and ready, and not to be taken as gospel It worked for me in my early days
Thank you for your kind reply, you can be sarcastic I've seen a few replies not just mine, if it's aimed at the NHS take it there not here. There's a lot of scared confused people around I'm one of them.

OK , straightener out the way, thanks for the PDF which I've had a look at, I dont understand measuring yet so I'd have to come back to some of what you write, I'm getting there though.

If not processed cheese what else? I thought babybel was? I've found a new cracker which looks great for us, I have 2-3 crackers cheese and tomato for supper with some prawns, can you suggest what cheeses to buy, I like a block so I can measure.

Hope your day is well, kind regards Q.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much for the reply, I've lived on cakes and ready meals for the past 6 month. So I'm adjusting gradually so I dont give up (I only ever do that once).
You mention strawberries?? Could I have some with some cream as a snack? If so what weight and single or double.

What's your personal view on saturated fat?

Kind wishes, Q.

You can have a few strawberries (2 or 3 large ones chopped up) with double cream (or a full fat Greek yogurt) any time you like, every day if you wish, although they are better eaten as part of a meal rather than a snack.

My personal view on saturated fat is clear from what I eat. I only eat animal fats, I smother my veggies with butter, I fry/roast with butter or lard or duck/goose fat, I have strawberries with cream, raspberries with full fat Greek yogurts, I eat cheese most days, I eat red meat particularly steaks and lamb chops, I eat roast beef. These all contain a lot of saturated fat. My cholesterol is ideal and I maintain my weight at under 9 stones.

Reactions: Q007

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your kind reply, you can be sarcastic I've seen a few replies not just mine, if it's aimed at the NHS take it there not here. There's a lot of scared confused people around I'm one of them.

OK , straightener out the way, thanks for the PDF which I've had a look at, I dont understand measuring yet so I'd have to come back to some of what you write, I'm getting there though.

If not processed cheese what else? I thought babybel was? I've found a new cracker which looks great for us, I have 2-3 crackers cheese and tomato for supper with some prawns, can you suggest what cheeses to buy, I like a block so I can measure.

I have used Babybel myself. It is a hard-ish cheese like Cheddar, and so it is benign carbwise, It is the soft cheeses especially the ones aimed at children or processed to be spreadable or squeezable that should be avoided if you can. I found a soft cheese in Aldi that was ok for me and great when mixed with almond flour to make a pizza base that is low carb,

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
You can have a few strawberries (2 or 3 large ones chopped up) with double cream (or a full fat Greek yogurt) any time you like, every day if you wish, although they are better eaten as part of a meal rather than a snack.

My personal view on saturated fat is clear from what I eat. I only eat animal fats, I smother my veggies with butter, I fry/roast with butter or lard or duck/goose fat, I have strawberries with cream, raspberries with full fat Greek yogurts, I eat cheese most days, I eat red meat particularly steaks and lamb chops, I eat roast beef. These all contain a lot of saturated fat. My cholesterol is ideal and I maintain my weight at under 9 stones.
Thank you for this, I fancy something sweet which is why I go looking for snacks.

Is buying a slab of cheese OK ? I've just bought a marble slab cheese wire cutter to measure portions. I have 2 crackers, cheese and tomatoes for supper with some prawns each evening.
I think the crackers are a find for us, I'm just about to buy some more so I'll take piccies of the ingredients etc to see what everyone thinks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this, I fancy something sweet which is why I go looking for snacks.

Is buying a slab of cheese OK ? I've just bought a marble slab cheese wire cutter to measure portions. I have 2 crackers, cheese and tomatoes for supper with some prawns each evening.
I think the crackers are a find for us, I'm just about to buy some more so I'll take piccies of the ingredients etc to see what everyone thinks.

Most hard cheese blocks are fine as they have hardly any carbs. Personally I like Red Leicester, but tastes vary. Any hard cheddar-type cheese will do.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
You'd probably do far better without them.. what brand are they?
Oh, I've run out and can only get them from waitrose, when I buy some more tomorrow I'll post them on here. Remember please I stopped eating all bread so they taught us there were 4 cubes of sugar in one 15gr of bread, that put me off. The crackers are 2.9gr per piece I can remember that but I'll post the full ingredients when I get a new box, there's less sugar in these than a sandwich I'm sure, but be glad to share. I can also tell you they're scrummy and very crunchy under slithers of cheese and tomato. Enjoy your day, Q.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I understand it is hard at first, but snacking at any time is not a good idea unless it is carb free. What about nuts? Or some plain dark chocolate - just one square, melted down and added to some cream? Whenever we eat we have an insulin response from the pancreas. What we need to do is limit these insulin responses. 3 times a day (or less) is best, at normal meal times. Our pancreas needs to rest, and we need less circulating insulin in order to control this disease (or condition if you prefer that word)

Most snacking is just habit. Eating a good square meal with few carbs, normal protein, and increased fats will stop any hunger pangs. I hardly ever get hungry, but if I do I have a decaff coffee with double cream or just a cup of tea, or often just water. By the way, eggs cooked any which way are a good source of fats and protein, not to mention lots of other important nutrients.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I have used Babybel myself. It is a hard-ish cheese like Cheddar, and so it is benign carbwise, It is the soft cheeses especially the ones aimed at children or processed to be spreadable or squeezable that should be avoided if you can. I found a soft cheese in Aldi that was ok for me and great when mixed with almond flour to make a pizza base that is low carb,
Sorry blonde day, is cheddar slabs OK then? Its become my meal of the day and I could have roasted cheese and cheese omelettes too if cheddar slabs OK. Thanks for the reply, Q.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry blonde day, is cheddar slabs OK then? Its become my meal of the day and I could have roasted cheese and cheese omelettes too if cheddar slabs OK. Thanks for the reply, Q.
Yes slab cheese is ideal. Stuff in tubes to be avoided. Pre grated whilst convienient usually has a coating of flour or similar to stop it sticking to itself which raises the carbs in it.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I understand it is hard at first, but snacking at any time is not a good idea unless it is carb free. What about nuts? Or some plain dark chocolate - just one square, melted down and added to some cream? Whenever we eat we have an insulin response from the pancreas. What we need to do is limit these insulin responses. 3 times a day (or less) is best, at normal meal times. Our pancreas needs to rest, and we need less circulating insulin in order to control this disease (or condition if you prefer that word)

Most snacking is just habit. Eating a good square meal with few carbs, normal protein, and increased fats will stop any hunger pangs. I hardly ever get hungry, but if I do I have a decaff coffee with double cream or just a cup of tea, or often just water. By the way, eggs cooked any which way are a good source of fats and protein, not to mention lots of other important nutrients.
Snacking is at addiction stage for me ATM - a drug I take shuts of neuro receptors that tell you you're satiated - Pregabalin.

So I'm going through so many stages at once, I am hungry and portion control isn't helping. It's so hard isn't it.

Part of me is saying heart failure will get me soon enough so eat what I want, my renal function has started to fail and I take such a high dose of loop diuretic I'm weeing like a racehorse. The dose has just been doubled to rid pulmonary fluids. Oh, I dont know.

I'm going to try, I'll only fail when I dont. Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Yes slab cheese is ideal. Stuff in tubes to be avoided. Pre grated whilst convienient usually has a coating of flour or similar to stop it sticking to itself which raises the carbs in it.
Fab! Q.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I get lettuce leaves - really fresh lettuce, spoonful of coleslaw against the spine of it, then grated cheese or bits or ham, or any meat, or a hard boiled egg - smidge of sweet pickle, then roll them up, place another leaf over the join and enclose the roll, much better than anything with crackers.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So do slices in a plastic overcoat, Some suppliers have a plastic seperator sheet between slices, and these are generally ok, but others coat the slices with starch to stop them sticking together. Slabs is best and a wire cutter is good invention. The wax wrapper used by Babybel is unique, but effective way of adressing same issue. Edam and Gouda often use wax too. Not too sure about the coating on brie or cammerbert and other softish cheeses.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We have a saying in our house 'There's no such thing as too much cheese' ;)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

One of the beauties of an LC diet is that it is possible to follow an effective plan without measuring or even carb counting or calorie counting. Many here do not measure or weigh, and after a while it becomes second nature to choose meals and quantities without needing to have an accurate quantized amount. I find being pedantic like that can be counter productive and lead to anxiety or stress.

I am aware that insulin users need to do this if they are adjusting dose for their meals but I am not needing that accuracy. I must admi that if you ask me how many carbs I eat a day or per meal, I will have no idea, but I can still report if I get good results or not, which to me is the important bit. I also have to admit that I am not aiming for ketogenic levels but have been there simply by reducing carb intake, which I had fine tuned at one stage so that by making a slight change to breakfast it would move me into or out of ketosis. I do not posess any scales at all.

Reactions: Antje77 and HSSS

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Among a ton of great posts,#98 is a gem IMO. Keeping it simple means less stress for me,and lots of folks.

I dont count or measure anything after the initial research I did to ascertain average volume size to weight and nutrient numbers.Now I know when Im having a small,medium or large amount of something with just a glance.

Reactions: Antje77

DawnOfTheZed

When someone passes, especially when they're so young, there's no desire to take care for oneself. The reason kindof goes out of your life, which is perfectly normal. It takes a while to come back from that, though we never really do, not 100%. Grief tends to stay with us, though the shape of it changes over time. Thankfully, otherwise we'd never get out of bed ever again after a loss.

Take care of yourself the best way you know how.

@Q007
I'm very sorry for your loss. I think a similar loss of my nephew a few years ago tipped me over to T2 - a lot of ready meals and trans fats - not a good combo. Big hug!

@JoKalsbeek
Your explanation is helpful to me too. Thanks

Reactions: Q007 and 1spuds