My experience of Intermitient Fasting 5:2 version

andrene64

Dislikes
many things
I watched the BBC program on longevity and fasting and was fascinated by the concept it seemed the answer to all my problems. Well my BS, weight, cholesterol.

Strangely enough I was called to the doctors for my diabetic check 2 weeks into my experimental fasting. I was called back to the Docs re: my BS reading and cholesterol they had both risen slightly and they wanted me to maybe consider meds for both, I am dead against this if I can help it. She said my short time IF would have not impacted this reading but she was willing to let me continue with fasting for next 3 months and see if I could control it and bring it down myself.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo how’s that for a challenge. It was a wake up call as if I needed anymore of them being, overweight, diabetic sore joints, lethargic etc

I have been IF for 5 weeks now and all I can say is wow!!!!!!

Can’t speak for anyone else but this is the first thing that has worked for me. As I have tried everything to lose weight in the past 20 years.
In the 4 weeks I lost 10lbs (After 4th week I put scales away as was jumping on them too often) I like to think this time it is not just weight, but any weight loss is very welcome. This time round it’s about health to living longer and improve mobility.

So the WOW factor for me has been the feeling of alertness, clarity and energy on my fasting days.
It is like looking through the world with a new found vision, colours are sharper, brighter and I have a bounce in my step, and feel more in control. I now know when I am truly hungry and know I that the world will not come to an end if don’t eat for a few hours the exact opposite in fact. My work colleagues commented I looked well and what was I doing.

I seem to handle this ok because I know I’m not starving forever, and I get such a buzz from my fasting days I look forward to doing it again. Especially if it helps my cells repair themselves, my brain produce new cells and bring my BS down. What more could a woman want !
I have done a lot of research on line and there are many versions of fasting. It’s finding one that suits your life style.

I have questioned is it fasting if I’m having 500 cals on my fasting day and 1,800 on my eating day which consists of low carb healthy food/palio diet.

I would welcome your feed back and comments if others have experimented with IF.

Andrene

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Can you tell us how many days a week you fast and what you would typically eat and drink on those days?

andrene64

Dislikes
many things
Hi I fast 2 days per week usually a tues and sat. On my fasting days I drink plenty of water and black tea /coffee. Typical low cal meal would be chicken salad, eggs bacon, fish and veg things like that. Up to 500cals

A

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
andrene64 said:
Hi I fast 2 days per week usually a tues and sat. On my fasting days I drink plenty of water and black tea /coffee. Typical low cal meal would be chicken salad, eggs bacon, fish and veg things like that. Up to 500cals

A

Are you on medication too and if so, do you take it on the days you're fasting - can't take Metformin on an empty stomach. :(

Defren

This is week three of IF for me. I decided I would begin after our holiday, and so I did.

I fast on Tuesday's and Thursday's and although I am still getting used to the whole concept, that it will be a complete lifestyle change, for life, I am getting there. I feel so far very good and positive, my BG's which were already low and stable, have dropped slightly. I have not lost any weight scales wise, but this morning I put on a pair of jeans and they are very loose. Last time I wore them they were snug. As a typical apple shape, I have major problems loosing tummy fat, but IF seems to be helping. I did the Newcastle Diet, and didn't lose any fat from my middle, so this is an improvement.

I do feel hungry fasting days, but it's easy to get passed that, I just tell myself "tomorrow is free for all" :lol: However on my non fast days I am struggling to reach my own calorie target of 1,500 calories a day. Yesterday I made some low carb muffins and as they are high calorie, came the closest to my calorie goal than I have managed before. My non fast days have seen me waddling like a duck as I am so full. So, I think this is a very good lifestyle change and I will certainly stick to it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I watched that programme too and it seemed excellent. I tried for a couple of weeks and then my T2 husband became ill and life went crazy. I have now gone to another of the intermitteent fasting patterns, i.e. eating once a day with very small snacks at other times. My BG is holding at under 6 everytime I check, whether after meal/snack or at bed time. Fasting consistently below 5.[around 4.7]
I'm also losing weight again after much stalling for the last couple of years. I'm completely sold on this Partial fasting thing
Hana

andrene64

Dislikes
many things
Hi Hana

Nice to find an enthusiast would you like to be a buddy. Question are you still on your metaphorman.

A x
:thumbup: