My experiences of Keto diet and taking 10 mg Empliflagozin daily.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
Ok, I've tried dropping carbs before but like many the lure of a carb laden meal is just too much.

I have a brilliant diabetic nurse who is actually a type 1 so I can have research orientated, indepth discussions freely and without ridicule by the

" Well I have a 4 hour session diploma in diabetes so I know more than you" nurses.

Fast forward to this year, 01.01.2024 and I am giving low carb another go but this time it is going to be easier as my wife is going to help me, she will have carbs without ne seeing them.lol.

So, i started on NYD with 30g of carb and now with constant measuring, weighing of foods, making a diary entry it's getting easier yesterday, 02.01.2024 it was 23g carb and ketones were 1.5mmol/l.

Today has been horrendous. In absolutly full keto mode now. Pain, headaches, gut aches, dizziness and more.

I had 3g carb for breakfast at around 10.15 hrs. I also had my meds, INCLUDING 10mg Empliflogozin as normal.

Nothing else until feeling right full on **** in asda at 16:00 hrs. The feeling was so bad I bought some glucose sweets and at 17:00hrs my blood glucose was still only 6.1. Normally at this time of day it would be around 8.2 so I estimate that my sugars were really low, probably down under 4.

My ketones, admittedly by dipping urine were 8mmol/L.

After evening meal I've had 23g carb today and im back to normal so to speak.

I'm going to replicate and continue this tomorrow to see if it replicates itself and if it does I'll see about removing the empliflagozin.

Take care.

Alan.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BigAlan
:mad:
I really can't support your strategy.
You are on a medication that has a risk of DkA. ( I sent links to you on another thread)
Your doctor prescribed that medication for a reason.
You shouldn't be drastically changing your diet without your doctors approval and support.

I am concerned that you could mistake symptoms of DKA as merely "keto flu".
Please put this plan on hold until you've sought medical advice.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
@BigAlan
:mad:
I really can't support your strategy.
You are on a medication that has a risk of DkA. ( I sent links to you on another thread)
Your doctor prescribed that medication for a reason.
You shouldn't be drastically changing your diet without your doctors approval and support.

I am concerned that you could mistake symptoms of DKA as merely "keto flu".
Please put this plan on hold until you've sought medical advice.
Thank you Mrs A2.

I was put on the medication because I did nowt about my elivated sugars from being Pre diabetic through maximum metaformin, sitagliptin and then empliflagozin.

I am aware this approach is porentially risky without medical approval et al.

However, I am waiting to speak to my nurse early next week with my notes and results/ findings including my ketone info. The parameters set were under 8 fir pee dip sticks or 6 for blood ketones.

She was consulted and in full agreement in November when I spoke to her about my plans for the New Year. We both agreed to review the strategy in January assuming I did start keto diet on 01.01.24.

Also it would be nice to speak to a Dr, lol. Our surgery has 5 Dr's, who see 15 x 10 minute appointments per 3 days work and over 15,000 patients on the list.

Thank you so much for your concern. I will be careful.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM and MrsA2

HSSS

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I fully support your efforts to manage this by diet I personally wouldn’t do keto whilst on a flozin (sglt2). There is a documented, small but very real risk of a dka without high blood glucose if doing a keto diet on these medications. 8mmol is higher than nutritional ketosis should be and I fear you are dancing with the devil.

I appreciate you consulted your nurse but did you specifically discuss this risk? She sounds more aware than most but double check as some medics are not aware of this issue as they rarely come across patients doing keto. I understood the guidance suggested withdrawing that type of medication before starting such a way of eating. Please either pull back a bit til you can discuss this further or at the very least watch those ketones like a hawk regardless of the bgl til you do.

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

Author unkown
Whilst I fully support your efforts to manage this by diet I personally wouldn’t do keto whilst on a flozin (sglt2). There is a documented, small but very real risk of a dka without high blood glucose if doing a keto diet on these medications. 8mmol is higher than nutritional ketosis should be and I fear you are dancing with the devil.

I appreciate you consulted your nurse but did you specifically discuss this risk? She sounds more aware than most but double check as some medics are not aware of this issue as they rarely come across patients doing keto. I understood the guidance suggested withdrawing that type of medication before starting such a way of eating. Please either pull back a bit til you can discuss this further or at the very least watch those ketones like a hawk regardless of the bgl til you do.
Thank you HSSS. My nurse is a type 1 so she is so clued up it is unreal.
We have a good relationship which is helping me.

I happened to mention a while back that Cinamon was good for reducing bg. Her reply was, yes if you eat more than 6g a day lol.

I will hand on heart increase my carbs to 100g a day until I speak to her and get a bg/ k meter.

Thank you one and all.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you getting on @BigAlan ? I began taking this drug and had a noticeable (albeit small) improvement in weight loss where Ozempic has patchy effects. I felt ready to go low carb/keto again so have stopped it for now, but I do credit it with helping me get to the point where I feel I can take control.