My favourite kitchen gadgets - what are yours?

L

Luna21

My perfect little (cheap) gadget is a coffee frother from Ikea. It does the job, as I can't afford one of those sooper-dooper coffee machines. I have a standard coffee machine and the frother makes an ordinary cup of coffee into a delicious drink, and much nicer and cheaper than those you buy from those tax-dodgers at an exorbitant price! :D

I'm going to buy another two when I visit the store next time......

Not exactly a gadget per se, but I love those microwave cook-in-the-bags for vegetables. So easy and quick, and the veg is lovely and keeps its colour too. I buy them cheaply, so not an extravagance.

A

Anonymous

Luna21 said:
My perfect little (cheap) gadget is a coffee frother from Ikea. It does the job, as I can't afford one of those sooper-dooper coffee machines. I have a standard coffee machine and the frother makes an ordinary cup of coffee into a delicious drink, and much nicer and cheaper than those you buy from those tax-dodgers at an exorbitant price! :D

I'm going to buy another two when I visit the store next time......

Not exactly a gadget per se, but I love those microwave cook-in-the-bags for vegetables. So easy and quick, and the veg is lovely and keeps its colour too. I buy them cheaply, so not an extravagance.

Is it one of those whizzy things with batteries (if you'll pardon the description). Ahhhh ... memories of hot days in Corfu with iced, frothy coffee!!

garythegob

I used to have a cup with a circular springy thing it the bottom that was battery operated, half fill with warm milk and a shot of coffee, press the button and the springy thing would rotate causing the milk to froth up

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Anonymous

garythegob said:
I used to have a cup with a circular springy thing it the bottom that was battery operated, half fill with warm milk and a shot of coffee, press the button and the springy thing would rotate causing the milk to froth up

Blimey! You could probably have made a killing on 'Flog It'.

LittleWolf

LittleWolf said:
I has a Magic Bullet and Tefal Actifry :D

I was a little apprehensive about it at first to be honest, being my mama's idea. If you have tabletop space, it's great. You can make anything into home cooked fries or crisps (including any veggies or fruit you can think of) It can reheat a lot of foods that go soggy in the microwave quickly. Its quite easy to use; no settings, you just pop the lid down. Theres usually enough residual oil or oil in the food to not have to add any. Only problem is it's quite noisy.

A

Anonymous

I have a wide-topped vacuum flask that I use to make yoghurt (has the 'h' disappeared now?) in bulk. I can make about 2 litres from a small pot of 'live' yoghurt. Used to have an electric yoghurt maker, but the flask works just as well.

Also, a pineapple corer, which I never expected to work at all, but it does the job really well, and far less messy than peeling and slicing the pineapple manually. You just chop off one end of the pineapple then twist the cutter through like a corkscrew. Easy to remove pineapple flash, core, and to clean.

Lolagirl

I wanted the magic bullet but hubby decided that the Hinari Genie was the same thing but half the price. It arrived this week and felt cheap and nasty. It broke yesterday spilling not very well chopped onions and tomatoes all over the kitchen.

A

Anonymous

Lolagirl said:
I wanted the magic bullet but hubby decided that the Hinari Genie was the same thing but half the price. It arrived this week and felt cheap and nasty. It broke yesterday spilling not very well chopped onions and tomatoes all over the kitchen.

How disappointing. I was looking at the Hinari reviews on Amazon, which were very mixed. Quite a few people broke theirs soon after purchase, and, apparently, it's hard to get spares. Things like leaking seals, worn cogs etc. And spares come as complete 'units' rather than individual parts, so you end up collecting more 'set's of accessories. Some people seemed very happy, so it's strange that the same product can vary so much.

Re bullets in general (I had the JML one) tend to 'mash' everything, but that may be personal technique. The instruction book refers to 'pulsing' to avoid overchopping.

At the moment, I use an old Moulinex coffee grinder for nuts etc. and a Philips hand blender/chopper with a variable speed for 'gentler' chopping (LIDL often do a cheaper version), which seem to work OK, but these two things take up more space.

Veggies etc. I just use a knife. I find doing this manually is part of the enjoyment of cooking, except that I am very accident-prone with knives.

garythegob

Attachments

• 1368981794266.jpg
    1368981794266.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 1368981822834.jpg
    1368981822834.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,004
Reactions: 2 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Having been a housewife for over 40 years, I have more than my share of gadgets. I actually own 2 food processors! I use both.[ the cheap one from Lidl chops cabbage like no-ones business and is Brilliant for coleslaw] My favourite and most used gadgets are my trusty Bamix, which I use pretty much daily for whisking, chopping etc and my ceramic bladed paring knife. Ceramic knves are ultra sharp. I wish i could afford a big chef's knife too.
Hana

sarah88

Global knives are well worth the money, I bought the G2 for my OH about 2 years ago, it's a brilliant all rounder and apart from being terrified of chopping my fingers off for a start, I loved it from the word go. Needs sharpening occasionally but worth it :)
I love a good kitchen gadget! I bought a kenwood hand blender recently, has an attachment for mashing/blending potatoes, makes the smoothest mash ever!

A

Anonymous

sarah88 said:
Global knives are well worth the money, I bought the G2 for my OH about 2 years ago, it's a brilliant all rounder and apart from being terrified of chopping my fingers off for a start, I loved it from the word go. Needs sharpening occasionally but worth it :)
I love a good kitchen gadget! I bought a kenwood hand blender recently, has an attachment for mashing/blending potatoes, makes the smoothest mash ever!

All you need now is a potato peeler and an automatic milk and butter dispenser then all you need is an on/off switch! :lol:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anyone know of a great gadget to slice cucumber,tomatoes,carrots,leeks etc...
I need a small compact easy to clean gadget or tool to slice only with .

I do hate them garlic presses to press garlic cloves with .
They are too fiddly to even get all of the garlic out of it .
Have to keep poking a knife into it - to get it all out ! :x

Anna .

A

Anonymous

anna29 said:
Anyone know of a great gadget to slice cucumber,tomatoes,carrots,leeks etc...
I need a small compact easy to clean gadget or tool to slice only with .

I do hate them garlic presses to press garlic cloves with .
They are too fiddly to even get all of the garlic out of it .
Have to keep poking a knife into it - to get it all out ! :x

Anna .

People seem to be raving on about the Tefal shredder (between about £40-80 ish) depending on the model. I have one of those manual ones, where you insert the appropriate drum and turn the handle, but the pieces of food need to be short. Search for something like Tefal shredder and you should find it. Mandolins are useful but deadly, but an option if you are brave and confident.

The best and quickest way to deal with garlic is to lean on it with the side of large knife blade and you will find the skin comes off dead easily. Then just chop it with a knife to size. Takes seconds and no clearing out the garlic press.

A

Anonymous

sarah88 said:

Those knives look really smart and good quality. I use Henckels which have wooden, rivetted blades and aren't dishwasher friendly. However, I always wipe them and stick them back in the rack after use. I saved money by not bothering with the carving knife and fork (1) we don't have roasts at home (2) the other knives work fine. I do make sure I wash the handles as well as the blades though, as a greasy handle is safe. It's a good job our kitchen has red tiles!!!