My favourite kitchen gadgets - what are yours?

Finzi

My Vitamix - they are very expensive, but I love it. Also a Kenwood mini chopper which is good for purée ing garlic, onions etc. I use the vitamix to make soups, and smoothies.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

Finzi

Oh I forgot the George Foreman grill! I love mine! Wish I'd bought the one with detachable plates though.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

C

chris lowe

I still love my electric wok, so I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying I've had it about 20 years (think I'd better go to amazon and check out their prices). You also never realise how much you need a toaster until it goes wrong. I'm fed up with standing by it holding the switch down until the toast is done. The other thing I couldn"t do without is a pair of Chicago Steel scissors bought for about 6 quid in TK Max about 15 years ago. They come apart for washing, can be used for getting the top off small bottles, lifting the lid off tins of custard powder which also doubles as a useful screwdriver for tightening odd loose screws, it's stayed sharp all this time. Last time I looked it up on Amazon they were about £26 so it was a bargain.

I try and resist shops like Lakeland, I tend to find things I didn't know I needed. :D

A

Anonymous

chris lowe said:
I still love my electric wok, so I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying I've had it about 20 years (think I'd better go to amazon and check out their prices). You also never realise how much you need a toaster until it goes wrong. I'm fed up with standing by it holding the switch down until the toast is done. The other thing I couldn"t do without is a pair of Chicago Steel scissors bought for about 6 quid in TK Max about 15 years ago. They come apart for washing, can be used for getting the top off small bottles, lifting the lid off tins of custard powder which also doubles as a useful screwdriver for tightening odd loose screws, it's stayed sharp all this time. Last time I looked it up on Amazon they were about £26 so it was a bargain.

I try and resist shops like Lakeland, I tend to find things I didn't know I needed. :D

Your wok must have been well made to last that long. I agree with the toaster as that is the basis for my mid-morning and afternoon snacks. I like to leave the toast to go cold until hard and crunchy then smear with peanut butter or marmite. Never heard of Chicago scissors, but I need some new ones as I find them a ****** to sharpen. If yours come apart that should be an easier job, if required.

A

Anonymous

JussyB said:
I couldn't do without my steamer. Finally I can cook rice to perfection with it, along with fish and veg.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I have been using mine a lot recently, but haven't been successful with rice yet. I put it into the separate container with some water but I guess I have been impatient, since we only cook veggies till al dente. Any tips?

A

Anonymous

carandol said:
Teaspoons! Where would we be without them?
Still in that prison cell.
Shush.

That's a good point! Forgot about them. Bit hard topping an egg with anything else!

andytur

Excuse the mind dump, first post here.

Small frying pan with lid. Large one without lid
2 x stainless steel stove-top steamers (total 3 steamer sections)
1 x global 6" knife and 1 x 3" non global
Wooden chopping board
Matstone 6-in-one juicer - for small quantities green leaf type juices (spinach, kale, cucumber)

Since I eat the same thing most days, this suffices. I'd like more globals, a electric blender and chopper and a dehydrator, although I practice minimalism in kitchen items given too many years of buying then not using things.

Food is: onken yoghurt full fat + flaxseed + cinnamon + 5 blueberries + 5 smashed up wlnut halves + small amt whey protein - breakfast

Avo with apple cider vinegar - lunch + (small whey protein and red milk)

Protein (salmon, chicken or beef), 3 steamed veg (kale, spinach, beans), very small amt sweet pot steamed and mashed - supper
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar.

small amt cheese and more vinegar before bed

I have bromelain (inflammation reduction), chromium picolinate (sugar stabiliser), 2000mg fish oil, turmeric (sprinkled on veg etc - inflammation / sugar lvls) per day as well.

45 minutes of daily exercise + 15-20 minutes swim or cycle (gym) immediately after breakfast, high intensity training - reduces blood sugar most of day.

Type 2 now on 40mg gliclaside per day since diet change (Feb this year). blood sugar from 8.5 - 6.2. body fat from 23% to 12%.

I'm probably being perverse, but getting type 2 was one of the best things that happened to me (in silver lining context, at least :)). Before that i was drinking far too much, eating badly and getting no exercise. now i am forced to do all this healthy stuff, permanently.

A

Anonymous

andytur said:
Excuse the mind dump, first post here.

Small frying pan with lid. Large one without lid
2 x stainless steel stove-top steamers (total 3 steamer sections)
1 x global 6" knife and 1 x 3" non global
Wooden chopping board
Matstone 6-in-one juicer - for small quantities green leaf type juices (spinach, kale, cucumber)

Since I eat the same thing most days, this suffices. I'd like more globals, a electric blender and chopper and a dehydrator, although I practice minimalism in kitchen items given too many years of buying then not using things.

Food is: onken yoghurt full fat + flaxseed + cinnamon + 5 blueberries + 5 smashed up wlnut halves + small amt whey protein - breakfast

Avo with apple cider vinegar - lunch + (small whey protein and red milk)

Protein (salmon, chicken or beef), 3 steamed veg (kale, spinach, beans), very small amt sweet pot steamed and mashed - supper
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar.

small amt cheese and more vinegar before bed

I have bromelain (inflammation reduction), chromium picolinate (sugar stabiliser), 2000mg fish oil, turmeric (sprinkled on veg etc - inflammation / sugar lvls) per day as well.

45 minutes of daily exercise + 15-20 minutes swim or cycle (gym) immediately after breakfast, high intensity training - reduces blood sugar most of day.

Type 2 now on 40mg gliclaside per day since diet change (Feb this year). blood sugar from 8.5 - 6.2. body fat from 23% to 12%.

I'm probably being perverse, but getting type 2 was one of the best things that happened to me (in silver lining context, at least :)). Before that i was drinking far too much, eating badly and getting no exercise. now i am forced to do all this healthy stuff, permanently.

Blimey ... you are well organised and your body fat reduction is very impressive!

C

chris lowe

Hi Gezzathorpe - if you want to look at the scissors here is the link
www.amazon.co.uk/Chicago-Cutlery-104075 ... B00091SDFO

They are Chicago Cutlery (not Steel) and they are fantastic. They come apart in the middle and are easy to keep clean and so far - touch wood) I've never had to sharpen them.

Yipee - new toaster arrived today, so no holdidng the toast down. I like marmite and peanut butter, but both at the same time. It's yummy. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

chris lowe said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chicago-Cutlery ... B00091SDFO

They are Chicago Cutlery (not Steel) and they are fantastic. They come apart in the middle and are easy to keep clean and so far - touch wood) I've never had to sharpen them.

Yipee - new toaster arrived today, so no holdidng the toast down. I like marmite and peanut butter, but both at the same time. It's yummy. :thumbup:

Thanks for the link. I have pondered peanut butter & marmite together but not actually tried it. Will do so tomorrow.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
chris lowe said:

If your particular choice of bread does not give you too high a spike and you like cheese, you'll adore a thinish smear of marmite in your cheese toastie :D .. :clap:

A

Anonymous

Hobs said:
chris lowe said:

If your particular choice of bread does not give you too high a spike and you like cheese, you'll adore a thinish smear of marmite in your cheese toastie :D .. :clap:

I eat anything bar 'offal' as I don't restrict myself to anything. I may even slap a banana on top of the peanut butter & marmite! Spikes don't matter to me ... it's the daily average over time that I watch (currently 5.8). :shh:

A

Anonymous

chris lowe said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chicago-Cutlery ... B00091SDFO

Just looked at Amazon and out of stock at the mo. One of my pairs of scissors is called Milomex which look like a poor copy of the Chicago ones, but have been quite good. The other pair are a cheap copy of a cheap copy ... the blades are 'bowed' so I will, at least, replace those when the Chicago ones reappear on Amazon or eBay.

A

Anonymous

Re: Shredders

Just got a 'copy' of the Tefal shredder from LIDL for £19 & made some coleslaw with homemade mayo.. cool and crunchy ... lovely.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking of investing in a floor steam cleaner amd was wondering if anyone has one and which is the best one to get?

A

Anonymous

Thundercat said:
I'm thinking of investing in a floor steam cleaner amd was wondering if anyone has one and which is the best one to get?

Here are some from Which? Don't own one myself.

• Which? score: 67%
• Price: £60.00
• Launch date: Jan 2012
• Type: Steam mop
• Find lowest price
Bissell - 90T1-E
The Bissell 90T1-E steam mop, also known as the Bissell Steam Mop Max, is designed to work on a variety of hard floor types - but can it really deliver sparkling floors with minimum effort? We tested this steam mop out on a raft of tricky stains to explore its cleaning prowess. Read on to discover our experts' verdict.
Tackling tough stains presents little problem for this Bissell 90T1-E steam mop, making it a worthy and high-scoring Best Buy. It is also quiet and easy to use. You may also see this mop in the shops labelled as the Bissell Steam Mop Max.
Read more about Bissell 90T1-E

• Which? score: 67%
• Price: £100.00
• Launch date: Sep 2011
• Find lowest price
Montiss - CSM5761M
The Montiss CSM5761M steam mop claims to deliver top-notch cleaning of both hard and carpeted floors with its high-pressure steaming. Our in-depth tests pitted this steam mop against tough everyday stains including jam and muddy footprints to see how it compares to other steam mops on the market. Read on to discover our verdict.
This Montiss CSM5761M steam mop is a high-scoring Best Buy that offers fantastic cleaning - it ably tackles and removes a range of stains. And this mop is also easy to use, making it hard to fault.
Read more about Montiss CSM5761M

• Which? score: 64%
• Price: £34.00
• Launch date: Oct 2010
• Find lowest price
Efbe-Schott - Delta Head S HST 78Y
Efbe-Schott boasts that its Delta Head S HST 78Y steam mop is the bestselling steam mop in the UK. But is it popular for good reason? To test it out, our cleaning experts put it to work on a range of everyday grime to see just how clean and clear it leaves hard floors. Read on to see if it made the grade as a Which? Best Buy.
The Efbe-Schott Delta Head S HST 78Y steam mop delivers impressive cleaning when faced with tough stains, making it a worthy Best Buy. It's also quiet and fairly easy to use.
Read more about Efbe-Schott Delta Head S HST 78Y

• Which? score: 62%
• Launch date: May 2011
• Find lowest price
Home-tek - Light 'n' Easy HT838
The Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT838 steam mop is billed as a fast and efficient means to get ceramic, vinyl, sealed laminate and hardwood floors clean, and it also comes with an extra head for carpet cleaning. Our unique tests reveal if this steam mop really can shift the tough stains we put in its way - and how it compares to the competition. Read on for our full expert verdict.
The Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT838 shifted stains easily in our test - and quickly, too - making it a worthy Best Buy. This HT838 model is green and white, if you fancy a different colour (purple and white) look for the HT839 model.
Read more about Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT838

• Which? score: 62%
• Launch date: May 2011
• Find lowest price
Home-tek - Light 'n' Easy HT839
The Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT839 steam mop is billed as a fast and efficient means to get ceramic, vinyl, sealed laminate and hardwood floors clean, and it also comes with an extra head for carpet cleaning. Our unique tests reveal if this steam mop really can shift the tough stains we put in its way - and how it compares to the competition. Read on for our full expert verdict.
The Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT839 shifted stains easily in our test - and quickly, too - making it a worthy Best Buy. This HT839 model is purple and white, if you fancy a different colour (green and white) look for the HT838 model.
Read more about Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT839

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks gezzathorpe for all the info. I really appreciate it. I have tendonitis so sometimes mopping is excruciating. I'll think of you as I glide through the house lol! :smile: