My favourite kitchen gadgets - what are yours?

A

Anonymous

Lolagirl said:
That tefal shredder grater thingy was on offer in tescos at the weekend £33 bargain. Got one for my gadget collection and it is very good.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

******! I had convinced myself I couldn't afford one and now you've led me into temptation.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Easier to clean a garlic press if you pour really hot water over it then leave for a few mins. Garlic comes off as one piece if you haven't already poked at it. I love gadgets and recently bought a ceramic knife. Wow - ultra sharp! My fave gadget is my trusty dishwasher. I would be a lot less adventurous with food if I had to find the time for all that wash-up:grin:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carolynjw

I've got a Tefal actifry - it makes me feel virtuous when we have chips - something I hadn't had for a long time before buying it!

We also have a garlic grater which we bought in France years ago - it is like a small dish with a serrated top. Easy to use and clean :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No its like a pestle and mortar principle but you shake it.
Jamie Oliver put his name to it.
I make aoli with mine.

A

Anonymous

MCMLXXIII said:
I make aoli with mine.

Actually, I do know what they are .... my attempts at humour leave a bit to be desired. I was going to ask if you had the hots for Jamie but I'm not sure of your gender!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
gezzathorpe said:
MCMLXXIII said:
I make aoli with mine.

Actually, I do know what they are .... my attempts at humour leave a bit to be desired. I was going to ask if you had the hots for Jamie but I'm not sure of your gender!
I hear that MCMLXXIII has been both, and very good at acting the part.However the high standard of intelligence gives it away.He has got be a man.

Roy, :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
The best gadget in my kitchen is the 3 way s/s combination microwave oven (35 litre) and we have two of them. One in the laundry for really stinky cooking such as fish etc, and one in the actual kitchen for other food.
I was a tad sceptical at first but within a week of buying the first one we were off out to buy the second.
Since they have been plugged in, the large oven and grill/oven of the main cooker have not been used.
I know we obviously managed before we bought them but if one was to break down in the morning, we would be off out straight after lunch to buy a replacement.
We have several other time and labour saving additions, but none of them would be missed as much as the combi microwaves. If I had to score them out of 100, I would give them 99 and the loss of the 1 is only due to the initial getting to grips with the instructions .. rather like my first electronic wrist watch :lol:

A

Anonymous

Hobs said:
The best gadget in my kitchen is the 3 way s/s combination microwave oven (35 litre) and we have two of them. One in the laundry for really stinky cooking such as fish etc, and one in the actual kitchen for other food.
I was a tad sceptical at first but within a week of buying the first one we were off out to buy the second.
Since they have been plugged in, the large oven and grill/oven of the main cooker have not been used.
I know we obviously managed before we bought them but if one was to break down in the morning, we would be off out straight after lunch to buy a replacement.
We have several other time and labour saving additions, but none of them would be missed as much as the combi microwaves. If I had to score them out of 100, I would give them 99 and the loss of the 1 is only due to the initial getting to grips with the instructions .. rather like my first electronic wrist watch :lol:

Had one of those years ago ... my first roast was an XMAS turkey. Came out brilliantly until I found I had left the plastic bag containing the giblets inside! Not sure about using one in the laundry though. I smell bad enough already!! :p

MikeVincent

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree about knives. I spent too much on a knife about a year ago. I use it constantly and it stays sharp.

I bought a soup maker - Ive used it at least twice a week since I got it.

Mike

A

Anonymous

MikeVincent said:
I agree about knives. I spent too much on a knife about a year ago. I use it constantly and it stays sharp.

I bought a soup maker - Ive used it at least twice a week since I got it.

Mike

When I built up my knife collection I also bought a Chef's Choice sharpener. Quite expensive at the time but you can rehone the knife bevels or just fine hone them and it keeps the right angle. There's also a 'serious' damage setting as a last resort. It's also supposed to remove 'minimal' metal. I have tried sharpening steels with poor results. For the two of us we don't really need flashy shredders etc. (although I do love gadgets). The large blades also crush garlic easily so I can crush, peel and chop loads of cloves in a couple of minutes. In fact, I think the knife set can do just about anything that cutting gadgets can do, although, perhaps, less tidily.

I used to use kitchen devils and kept the 'spring' which clips onto the knife blade so you can use any knife as a peeler (the spring sets the level of cut .... there's only one!) That's quite good at times.

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also, a gadget I would like is a garlic press that actually works! Why has this not been invented?! Or has anyone got a decent one? suggestions?

A

Anonymous

alisoningold said:
I've got a Kenwood Chef, I never use it!

Hand blender is priceless.

I have a cheap processor but never use it. I know Kenwoods are the 'bees knees' but they seem to be about caking/batter/kneading. I only do the latter either by hand or use the kneading function of my breadmaker.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love my Magimix food processor and Bamix hand blender, but my favourite kitchen gadget by far is my Andrew James ice-cream maker. I was so fed-up with not being able to have ice-cream anymore that I invested in a fully-automatic ice-cream maker (the type that has the refrigeration built-in so doesn't have to go in the freezer) and now I make the best low-carb (no-sugar) ice-creams ever (well, in my opinion anyway :lol: ). If I had to give away every other kitchen gadget, this would be the one I'd keep!

Smidge

A

Anonymous

smidge said:
I love my Magimix food processor and Bamix hand blender, but my favourite kitchen gadget by far is my Andrew James ice-cream maker. I was so fed-up with not being able to have ice-cream anymore that I invested in a fully-automatic ice-cream maker (the type that has the refrigeration built-in so doesn't have to go in the freezer) and now I make the best low-carb (no-sugar) ice-creams ever (well, in my opinion anyway :lol: ). If I had to give away every other kitchen gadget, this would be the one I'd keep!

Smidge

My ice cream maker has been in the cupboard for years. The best ice cream I made contained those Lindt Chocolate balls. Heaven, but bloody hard to bite on. I've been thinking of getting it out again and it's good know sugar is not neccesary.

Shetland-Mal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Air fryer
Kenwood chef
Grilling machine
Slow cooker
My expensive knife set