My fiancé is pregnant!

Craig1986

Hi everybody!
We found out my partner is pregnant this weekend (2-3 weeks, so very early days)!

We phoned her nurse on Saturday, and she said she would pass the information onto relevant team members, which is cool. We were just wondering how soon other women had been contacted by their teams, once they have been informed? We are only concerned S my partner's a1c is 61.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everybody!
We found out my partner is pregnant this weekend (2-3 weeks, so very early days)!

We phoned her nurse on Saturday, and she said she would pass the information onto relevant team members, which is cool. We were just wondering how soon other women had been contacted by their teams, once they have been informed? We are only concerned S my partner's a1c is 61.
Hi. Congratulations. That's really exciting.
I have had 3 and in the early days my care was about getting prescription strength folic acid (should be taken pre conception but from this ;point onwards for sure).
I think I got in to see my team promptly but getting that prescription and working on better blood sugars is going to give the baby the best chance. A freestyle libre flash monitoring sensor is a great way to do this and I hope she's got one on prescription?
The first 12 weeks are critical so getting blood sugars even and in range is ideal but not always easy for a type 1 so getting some advice from her diabetic nurse about how to handle issues such as morning sickness could be useful.
Finally I think I totally panicked when I had any high blood sugars but all 3 pregnancies are now healthy teenagers so please reassure your fiance; she needs to focus on her diabetes but should try to enjoy this really special time too!

Reactions: EllieM

Craig1986

Hi. Congratulations. That's really exciting.
I have had 3 and in the early days my care was about getting prescription strength folic acid (should be taken pre conception but from this ;point onwards for sure).
I think I got in to see my team promptly but getting that prescription and working on better blood sugars is going to give the baby the best chance. A freestyle libre flash monitoring sensor is a great way to do this and I hope she's got one on prescription?
The first 12 weeks are critical so getting blood sugars even and in range is ideal but not always easy for a type 1 so getting some advice from her diabetic nurse about how to handle issues such as morning sickness could be useful.
Finally I think I totally panicked when I had any high blood sugars but all 3 pregnancies are now healthy teenagers so please reassure your fiance; she needs to focus on her diabetes but should try to enjoy this really special time too!
Thanks Nicole
She's been working like crazy to get her sugars down over the past 12 months. Unfortunatelyshe had a miscarriage, but we were very unaware she was pregnant at the time. A few life blips have gotten in her way with the a1c work, but I'm really proud of the progress she's made.
So she has been on the 5mg folic acid for about 4 months, which is great. And we're following the advice of her nurse from Saturday. Made tiny changes to her basal dose and carb ratio. Which we seem to have sussed now. We just weren't sure if her consultant would be in touch soon regarding all the teams she'll be meeting, or whether its a little too early for that.
I'm so happy for you that your kids were born happy and healthy that fills us with hope I think she's just trying to get used to all the insulin changes right now, but it's definitely happy news. Even if its not in ideal sugar times.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Nicole
She's been working like crazy to get her sugars down over the past 12 months. Unfortunatelyshe had a miscarriage, but we were very unaware she was pregnant at the time. A few life blips have gotten in her way with the a1c work, but I'm really proud of the progress she's made.
So she has been on the 5mg folic acid for about 4 months, which is great. And we're following the advice of her nurse from Saturday. Made tiny changes to her basal dose and carb ratio. Which we seem to have sussed now. We just weren't sure if her consultant would be in touch soon regarding all the teams she'll be meeting, or whether its a little too early for that.
I'm so happy for you that your kids were born happy and healthy that fills us with hope I think she's just trying to get used to all the insulin changes right now, but it's definitely happy news. Even if its not in ideal sugar times.
Good luck daddy! Maybe she might get to have an early scan for reassurance? My care was with the diabetes team plus midwife but a consultant obstetrician would be there in the room and took a bigger role towards the end as I recall but it was diabetes led certainly.

Craig1986

Good luck daddy! Maybe she might get to have an early scan for reassurance? My care was with the diabetes team plus midwife but a consultant obstetrician would be there in the room and took a bigger role towards the end as I recall but it was diabetes led certainly.
Thanks
Yeah they mentioned a diabetic pregnancy team, potentially a mental health team, just wasn't sure how quickly we should expect to hear from them. But we seem to be on the right path for the minute thanks for the replies Nicole!

Reactions: NicoleC1971