My first blood reading.Please help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are allowed as many or as few carbs as you want. It's entirely up to you. Now you are testing you will learn how many you can have at any one meal, or by the day. Record everything you eat and what your levels were before and after then you can look back and learn. It's no good guessing. You must weigh your carbs and know how many grams you are eating and drinking until you get used to what your allowable portion size looks like on your plate. Don't forget drinking. Milk in tea has carbs. Look at the food labels for all the various nutrients especially the full amount of carbs, fat and protein. I can recommend a very good book to help with this. I got mine from Amazon. It's called Carbs & Cals and contains details of thousands of foods, including fresh stuff that haven't got nutrition labels on them. You can also look round the internet for what foods contain what carbs. Many manufacturers have websites with full details, and also many of the supermarkets too. Be careful to chose reputable UK sites as other countries have different methods of recording nutrition. It may sound daunting, but you soon learn.

Reactions: 2 people

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Thank you Bluetit,I will look into that.I am having Salmon for dinner with spin age and savoy cabbage,not having the new potatoes,I think it was them then made my sugar high...I do like Bulger rice,so I shall have that to...xox

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Hi,before I tested it was 8.1,then two hours after eating it was 9.2...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosemary, it is both readings that are high. Going up from 8.1 to 9.2 is a very small spike, but not good because of your starting point. You need to get your before reading down. What were you eating/drinking between breakfast and lunch? Did you test 2 hours after breakfast? What did you have for breakfast and how long before lunch?

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
When I woke at 7pm I was 7.2,then I had a slice of Burgen bread toasted with coffe,no sugar.but I never tested that,then at 11.30 I tested and found I was 8.1 before my lunch...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it doesn't sound like you're eating enough, put an egg or 2 on the toast and a blob of butter.
Your liver will release 'sugar' and the insulin resistance won't let it be used up,

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Am finding it hard to eat any breakfast as I never used to eat untill lunch time,so really breakfast is important then...And I will add an egg...ty

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you don't normally eat breakfas
Am finding it hard to eat any breakfast as I never used to eat untill lunch time,so really breakfast is important then...And I will add an egg...ty
try it for a while, see if it drops the prelunch high, for now I would even drop the toast and have eggs, tomato mushrooms etc till your BG is under control
http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/R-D/Study-Big-breakfast-could-help-manage-type-2-diabetes

what did you have for morning tea?

Reactions: 3 people

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Jack412, I had one boiled egg,Greek yougart,coffe with cream,and half hour riding my bike,come back to test,and my reading was 6.6...I think that breakfast has worked for me...:p

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Jack412, I had one boiled egg,Greek yougart,coffe with cream,and half hour riding my bike,come back to test,and my reading was 6.6...I think that breakfast has worked for me...:p
If you go up 1.1 again that will only be 7.7. Let us know how it goes.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
although the bike ride will be good for lowering your levels as well

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Afternoon I tested having had nothing to eat for two hours,I was up to 7.9, then after eating lunch which was Trout,a slice of corned beef,Lettus,Cuecumber,Spring onion,it was 7.4...Had no eights today...xox

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
that is good - why not go for a gentle walk (not too far to start with) and retest when you get back and see what happens to your levels then. I think you will be surprised.

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
I just tested before I had my evening bowl of soup,and it was 5.8...Is this to low...Am feeling nervous about this test Andrew...x

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just tested before I had my evening bowl of soup,and it was 5.8...Is this to low...Am feeling nervous about this test Andrew...x
No that is great :) this is where a normal person would be

oh not saying you are not normal lol

Rosemaryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To much to say.
Am never normal lol...After I had soup for dinner,swede,carrots and cabbage,my reading went up to 8.1...How is that...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
cooked carrots possibly. Cause spikes for many. I eat them raw and never have any problems but never liked them cooked