My first Hb1Ac result post diagnosis - do I need to stop?

ian1968

Just had my first three month Hb1Ac results.

I was 7.6 Hb1Ac and 5.6 cholesterol when I was diagnosed at the end of May, and now I'm 5.9 Hb1Ac and 4.5 cholesterol. I've lost two stone four pounds so far as well.

I'm pretty pleased with the results, but now I'm wondering - where now? Do I need to get these numbers any lower or should I be happy with these as they fall within normal levels? I'm six foot and 11 stone 12 pounds now. Should I be happy with that weight or keep on losing? I seem to have developed a real hunger in the last few days. Suddenly the level of food that was sustaining me isn't enough. Is this a common thing with continued weight loss? Is it my body telling me to stop?

Mileana

Re: My first Hb1Ac result post diagnosis

How many grams of protein is in your diet compared to your weight in kilos?

I have had a similar thing happen for a bit, and I have found that increasing the amount of protein I eat a bit has helped me control hunger and avoid losing muscle mass.

Are you muscular or not? I think in your case, I would consider doing more weight training to try and build on a bit more muscle and attempt to keep the weight stable in the process. Muscle takes up less space than fatty tissue does and also it help with insulin sensivity.

How is your waist looking? If it is more than 40 inches/94 cm for a male, you may wish to lose a bit more.

How is you BMI? weight divided by (height in meters squared). If you are very muscular, your BMI could be 27-28 and still acceptable, if you are average, 25 is a normally the upper limit for normal.

There is an ongoing discussion on here whether cholesterol should be as super-low. Do you have the individual components that the total figure is made up of? HDL, LDL, Trigs and a Ratio would perhaps help see if it is good or could use a tweak.

I think the hba1c is cool. You may wish to lower it further if you can without it making you feel carpy or miss out on too much. Can't really be too low, I think.

Well done - it must have taken quite some work to get to this point? Bet you feel a whole lot better, too? It isn't just maths, eh?

-M

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: My first Hb1Ac result post diagnosis - do I need to stop

Hi. The numbers are good and don't really need to be reduced any lower but if you are still a bit overweight then perhaps keep trying to get near to the right BMI figure? A really good result and with no medication.

ian1968

Thanks guys. I was overweight when I was diagnosed - 14 stone 2 and six foot tall - but now I'm in the normal range. My BMI is 22.51. I'm in the upper third of the healthy range for BMI. I was aiming for the middle of that range, which is 11 stone 6 pounds.

ian1968

Oh, and I dropped a waist size from 36 to 34.

ian1968

No idea about protein but I'm a vegetarian so I've been worried about protein because eating too much cheese and eggs isn't great for the cholesterol levels. Now that I'm under 5 for cholesterol - which is what my doctor advised I should be - I guess I can look at upping my protein intake.

ian1968

As for feeling better, I feel much better in terms of BG - I'd feel it acutely when my BG was high - but I don't feel so great since hitting this hunger patch. I've been ravenous all day and nothing I can do seems to satisfy me. I've just had a small packet of hula hoops - part of my regular diet - and that usually sorts me out until my evening meal, but that doesn't seem to have hit the spot at all.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Well done on your latest results and weight loss Ian :clap:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

Well done Ian :clap: . Don't see why you need to get the numbers better unless you want to. Just be a bit careful upping the protein too much. The RDA for protein is around 16% I think. I find it difficult on low carb to keep at that and probably do around 20 - 22% so I end up at about 15% carbs, 20% protein and 65% fat. Too high protein can cause kidney problems so if you go "high" I'd make sure you get regular kidney function tests from your doc. Also remember that because 1g of fat equal 9 calories as opposed to 1g of protein (or carbs) equals 4 calories you don't have to up the fat that much to get a boost in calories. Fats also are the things that tell your brain to switch off the "I'm hungry" feelings.

Spirit of Eden

It sounds like you have medically reached your target (BMI) and psychologically you have as well. :thumbup: Now you have arrived perhaps you could do some weight training which will allow you to maintain weight, eat a little more, transfer the weight you have and reduce body fat. I find weight training really brings down my numbers as well (aerobic sports not so much)

Congrats on your progress
Paul

ian1968

Thanks guys!

I added a slice of wholemeal bread to my lunch - my first bread since diagnosis - and it didn't bump my BG and sorted out the hunger problem. And maybe that will help stablise my weight.

It would be nice to get to the point where I'm not thinking about what I do and don't eat all the time - one day!

Grazer

well done from me as well Ian. Mind you, you did say you were worried about eggs and their effect on cholesterol. The powers that be recently changed their minds on this and declared eggs don't effect cholesterol, so eat as many as you like.
With the hunger bit, I took to grazing on healthy nuts when I was hungry. Walnuts and hazelnuts are both very good, add protein and some fat to your diet, and definiteky seem to help with the hunger bit.