my first hypo, i think!

7of9raf

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed in Feb with T2, since then i have lost 3 stone still got lots to go but I am really pleased with myself, i have been following slimming world which i find is good as it is as low or high carb as I want it to be. I have been going to gym classes for the last 3 weeks, first week 2 zumba and two aqua, 2nd week spinning and body attack, then last week body pump and pilates. I eat breakfast before I go and after the first double session I did my bloods and the were 5.4. Anyway i had a session with the personal trainer this morning, had my breakfast as usual about an hour and half before i went. 15 mins in i felt really odd, had like a heavy weight across my shoulders, went very dizzy and very tired. the trainer sat me down by which time i was feeling very tired and ill, trainer got me some full fat non sugar free coke and made me drink some, whilst she phoned my husband someone else sat with me and made me stay awake but all I wanted to do is sleep. Anyway after about 10-15 mins when my husband brought me my testing kit :oops: (i had left it at home) it was 8.1. About an hour and half later whilst i was researching hypos i started feeling strange again and read that i should have had some carbs so i had a banana. then for lunch i had bacon, egg, mushrooms and tomatoes and a couple of ryvita. 2 hours later my bloods are 5.1 and i just feel tired and have a headache.

So i think i had my first hypo, now my husband says he thinks i have done to much to soon at the gym and doesn't want me to go back for a few days. I want to get into a pattern for the gym for when i go back to work in September (i am a teacher) and I want to rebook my session with the personal trainer but am a bit scared now………during all the other classes i was fine and i managed to keep up. Hubby wants me to discuss the gym with the doctor…….which of course i don't want to do, don't like going to the doctors!!!

Your advice is much appreciated

Thanks

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am bumping your thread so that someone who can help explain what happened will notice your post.

I don't know if I am on the right track but personally I suspect you may have had a big drop in your BG levels following a period of intense exercise. This caused your odd feelings. When our levels fall too low our bodies defense mechanisms jump into action and our liver releases a load of glucose in an attempt to balance what is happened add to this a good measure of sugar and caffeine in the form of a can of Coke and you got hit with the effect of a sugar high. A roller coaster ride that has left you feeling tired and, as as happened to me in a similar situation, with a headache to end all headaches.

7of9raf

Hi Katza

Thanks for your reply, i went to the dr's today and he thinks it was partly because 6 weeks ago i was put on slow release by a locum doctor, at the time i asked if i should change when i dake them or anything and he said no, dr today said i should take two in the morning and 1 in the evening, and has given me some gluco gel to keep in my bag. He also said that i should test before i go to the gym and if it is below 5 have a banana to top up my levels.