My job

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not becsuse of disbetes, but failing to achieve their required standards of attendance

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Are you off work because of poor diabetes control or something else ? You have very few rights on a trial period I'm afraid.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Mate just saw your post about insulin not working and the 50+ bg reading. Sounds like you need a rest. I'm not sure what your position is but would hope your doc has signed you off sick. I know employers aren't allowed to discriminate against diabetes perhaps some T1s can advise better. Good luck hope it all works out for you.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mate just saw your post about insulin not working and the 50+ be reading. Sounds like you need a rest. I'm not sure what your position is but would hope your doc has signed you off sick. I know employers aren't allowed to discriminate against diabetes perhaps some T1s can advise better
They can't discriminate but if the sickness is due to poor control they can say it was sort of self inflicted. Certainly a note from your doc may help and try to keep your manager updated as much as poss. Good luck and hope you don't lose job.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
They can't discriminate but if the sickness is due to poor control they can say it was sort of self inflicted. Certainly a note from your doc may help and try to keep your manager updated as much as poss. Good luck and hope you don't lose job.

Yeah I'd push the fact they changed your insulin and it didn't work that way it doesn't sound like it was in anyway self inflicted as you were just doing what your doc told you to.

Not being critical so please don't take the wrong way but didn't you notice it wasn't working? As a lorry driver I'd hope you'd test really often.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Danny

Somebody has memtione further up that you are a lorry driver... And just diagnossd type 1 recently? If bith of this is correct, then DVLA would not give you yourlorry licence back to you until you can show months worth of good readings..so as it would be then a dvla compliance, this would throw in an additional thing to be considered.

If you arent a lorry driver and going back to your question... Anybody with diabetes can still be dismissed through poor sickness records.. Both employer and employee have to play fair under the Equality Act 2010 ( incorporates DDA), however If Employers do everything right you can still be dismissed. If you have concerns why dont you phone them up? Diabetes does not prevent you from using your voice and contacting them... At least you will be seen as wanting to work!!

woodstar65

As your on your three month trial they can let you go and give you any excuse they want really. As it's in the contract that can release you within that time period if they think your not the right person for the job.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone can be released at a week's notice in the first 2 years of employment - it's standard employment law. Even after your trial period is up, if HR really want to get rid of someone they can find a way. Sad but true. It used to be 1 year but the current government have pushed it up to 2.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Under the DDA and the DEA employers are not allowed to discriminate against someone on the basis of disability. They also have to consider making 'reasonable adjustment' to enable someone with a disabiltiy to be able to do the job. The bigger the employer, the bigger the adjustment is considered 'reasonable'. For example, they might be able to offer you a different type of job that you can do e.g. office-based rather than driving. However, in the event that you are not fit to do the job you are employed to do, and 'reasonable adjustment' has been considered and rejected or has not worked, they can dismiss you on the grounds that you cannot fulfill the job for which you are contracted. Sorry.

Smidge