My latest HbA1c results ...

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all choose to manage our condition our own way. I work my butt off 11 months of the year - am I not allowed to relax for 3 weeks of the year and enjoy some bread (maybe 3 times in a week!!!), and the occasional pastry - (maybe 1 a week!)? I was thankfully my HbA1c is 5.3 and happy - and wanted to share it with this forum. Maybe it was my mistake to post this and mention that I actually ate, and enjoyed, carbs. I’m not stupid, I know they are not good for managing my condition but I believe in strong control - with moderation.

I think calling it poison is pretty extreme but we all have our own opinions. And personally I don’t believe some foodstuffs are off the menu forever - life as a diabetic is about moderation. I very rarely eat carbs, I exercise every single day - and you say I’m not allowed to eat cake maybe 3 times a year????

Thank you for your comment though - maybe I’ll keep my thoughts on occasionally enjoying carbs to myself in the future though.
Sounds to me like you have everything in perfect balance.

Reactions: Anthony1738

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds to me like you have everything in perfect balance.

Not sure about that but I’m trying. I have realised I can be a little relaxed if my core diet is low carb and I exercise (30minutes in the pool) nearly every day.

Thanks for your comment @Lally123

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all choose to manage our condition our own way. I work my butt off 11 months of the year - am I not allowed to relax for 3 weeks of the year and enjoy some bread (maybe 3 times in a week!!!), and the occasional pastry - (maybe 1 a week!)? I was thankfully my HbA1c is 5.3 and happy - and wanted to share it with this forum. Maybe it was my mistake to post this and mention that I actually ate, and enjoyed, carbs. I’m not stupid, I know they are not good for managing my condition but I believe in strong control - with moderation.

I think calling it poison is pretty extreme but we all have our own opinions. And personally I don’t believe some foodstuffs are off the menu forever - life as a diabetic is about moderation. I very rarely eat carbs, I exercise every single day - and you say I’m not allowed to eat cake maybe 3 times a year????

Thank you for your comment though - maybe I’ll keep my thoughts on occasionally enjoying carbs to myself in the future though.
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to cause offence! I just think it's particularly helpful to try to completely change your mindset so that you don't always feel 'deprived'. There are some carbs foods that occasionally I eat, like wedding cake etc, because I think they are 'lucky' - I know, weird superstition! But it pleases me very much that when I eat a tiny piece it doesn't make me want to eat more, quite the reverse, I tend to think 'Whatever did I see in that?"
A couple of weeks ago I ate a crisp, flavoursome, juicy apple picked straight off the tree, had to use a bit of self control to not pick one daily, so I picked the lot and gave them away.

Problem for me, being retired and lucky enough to have a life that is one long holiday, it would be difficult to 'reign back' to discipline if I let it slip!

I know you have done brilliantly, I have watched your amazing success, I am glad you can have a 3 week 'holiday' with no adverse effects. If it works for you, and clearly it does, brilliant!

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honestly it all comes down to testing, I think. I find if I've had a very low carb day I can handle a bit of the stuff I shouldn't have (dark chocolate, toast etc) - but if I was testing high I would eat something else. Everyone's diabetes is unique - if you can enjoy a bit of cake without spiking too bad then go for it :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AtkinsMo sincere apologies - my reply was a bit harsh, sorry. Tired and emotional LOL after struggling with a stinking cold for nearly 2 weeks!

I agree about not feeling deprived - that is part of the reason I haven't really gone down the substitute route - ie low carb cake. I've just generally got over these things, found things that are naturally low carb - and just eat lots of cheese :):):)

I'm just jealous you are on one long holiday ... enjoy it - especially those trips to France.

Apologies again.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly it all comes down to testing, I think. I find if I've had a very low carb day I can handle a bit of the stuff I shouldn't have (dark chocolate, toast etc) - but if I was testing high I would eat something else. Everyone's diabetes is unique - if you can enjoy a bit of cake without spiking too bad then go for it :)

Agree - and it drives me mad that they say type II's should test. It's helped me so much. On low carb days I know I can enjoy that dark chocolate .... if I've eaten pre prepared food with a little more carbs then I don't!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a fantastic result and I hope I can post something similar soon. In my view anything that brings your numbers down from where you started shows great awareness and improved control.

How you got there... not important. What IS important is that you got there at all!

Well done!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

100% this. My cousin and her husband reversed their pre-diabetes state but have allowed themselves to build their levels up again. As they have gone up, I have come right down, despite their well-meaning "oh you can never have this, oh no more that for you"

The only person who determines how I tackle my diabetes is me. And it is on me to manage it as best I can when I travel for work. The real test for me will be the clay and grass court swing. THEN we'll see how good my control and exercise has been. But until then I am completely with you. Enjoy your occasional carbs mate!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
100% this. My cousin and her husband reversed their pre-diabetes state but have allowed themselves to build their levels up again. As they have gone up, I have come right down, despite their well-meaning "oh you can never have this, oh no more that for you"

The only person who determines how I tackle my diabetes is me. And it is on me to manage it as best I can when I travel for work. The real test for me will be the clay and grass court swing. THEN we'll see how good my control and exercise has been. But until then I am completely with you. Enjoy your occasional carbs mate!

Travelling is the tough one, you just have to be more organised - and enjoy Babybel :):)

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Travelling is the tough one, you just have to be more organised - and enjoy Babybel :):)
oooh that IS a good tip. I'll let you know how Singapore goes. At least all my colleagues are now fascinated with 'the device' - how it scans, what the numbers mean. Makes it a bit easier to be THAT person who tries and logs stuff in an altered MyFitnessPal now for carb counting instead of calorie counting. But like we said above - it is all about whatever works!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oooh that IS a good tip. I'll let you know how Singapore goes. At least all my colleagues are now fascinated with 'the device' - how it scans, what the numbers mean. Makes it a bit easier to be THAT person who tries and logs stuff in an altered MyFitnessPal now for carb counting instead of calorie counting. But like we said above - it is all about whatever works!

You are recently diagnosed I see. Takes time to adjust and for low carb to make difference, but I came off Metformin after around 4 months.

Snack packs of cheese are my savior - often mature cheddar when I get bored off Babybel. Will be interesting in Singapore, maybe they have low carb snacks sorted. In France I buy snack packs of mini saucisson to keep me going. Have a good trip?

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are recently diagnosed I see. Takes time to adjust and for low carb to make difference, but I came off Metformin after around 4 months.

Snack packs of cheese are my savior - often mature cheddar when I get bored off Babybel. Will be interesting in Singapore, maybe they have low carb snacks sorted. In France I buy snack packs of mini saucisson to keep me going. Have a good trip?

I am staying with friends so I think a trip to the supermarket will be key - honestly yoghurt and crispy oat hearts will do me in the morning, and whatever my friend cooks at lunch and then just be at the mercy of the tournament media centre caterers!!! But protein bars, bags of almonds and in search of baby bel I go :)