My latest HbA1c results...

Tallyhoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather, dark days, pandemics
Hi........my second post on this forum so new to this
In January my weight was 13 st 7 - now (August) it's 10 st 13 - really thrilled - low carb diet
HbA1C :
January 97
April 48
August 43

So really pleased about that too....very supportive doctor......he was going to up my meds in Jan but I asked him to wait and see what I could do myself diet wise as I'd done research but also asked that instead of waiting a year I could have the test redone every 3 months and he agreed. I've dropped 1 metformin tablet and thinking of dropping one more.

Have now started to reduce my carb intake even more so under the 20g a day. Not that hard either! Now my pre breakfast glucose level is always down to below 5 where it was always about 7 and I monitor frequently to see what foods affect it.

Greek Yoghurt with berries - now a no no. Peanut butter - also a no no for me dammit - so interesting to see what foods do affect it and what don't - gin and slimline tonic - YES YES....no problem ha ha!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi........my second post on this forum so new to this
In January my weight was 13 st 7 - now (August) it's 10 st 13 - really thrilled - low carb diet
HbA1C :
January 97
April 48
August 43

So really pleased about that too....very supportive doctor......he was going to up my meds in Jan but I asked him to wait and see what I could do myself diet wise as I'd done research but also asked that instead of waiting a year I could have the test redone every 3 months and he agreed. I've dropped 1 metformin tablet and thinking of dropping one more.

Have now started to reduce my carb intake even more so under the 20g a day. Not that hard either! Now my pre breakfast glucose level is always down to below 5 where it was always about 7 and I monitor frequently to see what foods affect it.

Greek Yoghurt with berries - now a no no. Peanut butter - also a no no for me dammit - so interesting to see what foods do affect it and what don't - gin and slimline tonic - YES YES....no problem ha ha!
Congratulations on a great result.

Reactions: Prem51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed diabetic in Jan 19 with a HbA1c of 95,
April 19 HbA1c was 50
August 19 HbA1c 46 I know a lot of people have done better than me but tbh I'm over the moon. At first I struggled with food and then I've struggled with stress so I wasn't expecting a drop at all. My hard work is paying off and I'm not on any medication so I've done this all on my own.

You've every right to be proud that you've achieved such massive reduction.:)

It matters not what other people have done - they don't have your diabetes and may well have started off with lower levels anyway.

Robbity

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've every right to be proud that you've achieved such massive reduction.:)

It matters not what other people have done - they don't have your diabetes and may well have started off with lower levels anyway.

Robbity
That's very true. Thank you. I am too hard on myself sometimes

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
diagnosed since aug 2012, completely uncontrolled and severely morbidly obese up until last april...been losing weight (17+stones, 10st n few lb since april 2018) and 5 weeks ago started on newcastle.

Thursday had my hba1c done and friday received the result which was 33

I know newcastle would have really dragged the number down, but as it's a 3 month reading and i've only been on it 5 weeks, i'm guessing my general control wasn't too bad prior?

Still trying to get my head around it...I suppose the real test will be when i re-introduce food and get a few months of food under my belt?

DUCADUCADUC

April 19 HbA1c was 50
August 19 HbA1c 46 I know a lot of people have done better than me but tbh I'm over the moon. At first I struggled with food and then I've struggled with stress so I wasn't expecting a drop at all. My hard work is paying off and I'm not on any medication so I've done this all on my own.
Well done and congratulations on doing this without meds!
This is awesome!

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
April 19 HbA1c was 50
Brilliant well done

sausage91

April 19 HbA1c was 50
Congratualtions! I've a similar story but I'm interested that you've been taken off your meds. I was 97 in Aug '18, 56 in November '18, 47 in February '19 and 40 in June but my doc told me to keep taking Metformin until the next test and if it is 40 again or below, then I can stop taking.
I understand that Type 2 is a lifestyle influenced condition - I find the dietary changes and more moving quite straightforward and I wonder how much the Hba1c is down to the diet or the metformin. Are you going for another test in three months?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I understand that Type 2 is a lifestyle influenced condition
I'd disagree with that. It's more to do with our livers' ability to deal with carbohydrates, and the increasing use of added sugars and carbs in processed foods.

JES 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, Perhaps one of you knowledgeable guys out there can help, I live in Spain where there is very little info or help for diabetes, I finally managed to get my G.P to do a HBa1c test and it came back as 5.9. but on this thread you are all talking about the HBa1c as 46, 50, 95. so I don't understand, so can anyone tell me how to convert 5.9 Spanish reading into UK reading please. thanks. Jenni

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Jes 2,
Yes, all the different units can be confusing. 5.9 means 5.9% in the NGSP measurements. It is just below the lowest level considered to be 'pre-diabetic'. - So you are OK for now.
Here is the result rom Dr Google:

Convert between NGSP, IFCC and eAG
NGSPHbA1c(%) ,IFCCHbA1c(mmol/mol) ,eAG (mg/dL)
6.0 , 42 , 126
7.0 , 53 , 154
8.0 , 64 , 183
9.0 , 75 , 212

So if your result had been 6.0% that would have been 42 (in the units mostly used in here).

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @JES 2. There are different scales used for expressing blood glucose figures. I assume in Spain your doctor is using the DCCT scale which is shown as a percentage.
That is used in UK too, but the IFCC scale is more commonly used.

You can use this online converter to find out what your HbA1c would be on the IFCC range:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

This gives your DCCT reading of 5.9% as equivalent to 41.0 on the IFCC scale.
In the UK below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 is pre-diabetic, and 48 and above is diabetic.
So in the UK you would be considered non-diabetic, but close to becoming pre-diabetic.

Reactions: Route 66

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratualtions! I've a similar story but I'm interested that you've been taken off your meds. I was 97 in Aug '18, 56 in November '18, 47 in February '19 and 40 in June but my doc told me to keep taking Metformin until the next test and if it is 40 again or below, then I can stop taking.
I understand that Type 2 is a lifestyle influenced condition - I find the dietary changes and more moving quite straightforward and I wonder how much the Hba1c is down to the diet or the metformin. Are you going for another test in three months?
Hello,
I've never been on meds. Dropping from 95 to 46 as just been diet.