My latest results - fairly happy

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my yearly results today - fairly happy but have had better ones (H A1c wise)

HbA1c 45 - my highest in a long while but I had a hell of a 6 months beforehand and was expecting worse so happy with that
Kidneys and liver spot on
Feet low risk
Weight down by 13lb since January :)
Blood pressure 128/74
Cholesterol 7.1 - down from 7.4 - ratios good though so nurse happy for me to stay off statins

I hade a good chat with my nurse, told her I'd started very low carb lost 13lb and had stopped taking my gliclizide, she has taken me off gliclizide and want to see me end of April to see how it's going.

I asked her what she though of low carb and she said "I think it's very good" she then told me she low carbs as she has been pre diabetic for 23 years! Said she can't advise people to low carb as it's against policy but if a patient wants to discuss it then she's allowed to do that.

The bad news is I can no longer have my test strips as now I'm not on gliclizide the policy is there is no clinical need!?!?
When I challenged it she said "I know but .... you know that's our policy ... that's all I can say about that"

Hopefully my next results will be lower as I'll have been doing keto for 4 onths then

Reactions: Looseboy

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my yearly results today - fairly happy but have had better ones (H A1c wise)

HbA1c 45 - my highest in a long while but I had a hell of a 6 months beforehand and was expecting worse so happy with that
Feet low risk
Blood pressure 128/74
Cholesterol 7.1 - down from 7.4 - ratios good though so nurse happy for me to stay off statins

I hade a good chat with my nurse, told her I'd started very low carb lost 13lb and had stopped taking my gliclizide, she has taken me off gliclizide and want to see me end of April to see how it's going.

I asked her what she though of low carb and she said "I think it's very good" she then told me she low carbs as she has been pre diabetic for 23 years! Said she can't advise people to low carb as it's against policy but if a patient wants to discuss it then she's allowed to do that.

The bad news is I can no longer have my test strips as now I'm not on gliclizide the policy is there is no clinical need!?!?
When I challenged it she said "I know but .... you know that's our policy ... that's all I can say about that"

Hopefully my next results will be lower as I'll have been doing keto for 4 onths then
Very interesting post. Thanks.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Feet low risk
Blood pressure 128/74

You have done amazingly well especially as you have had such a challenging 6 months. Well done. And it sounds like your DN is a keeper.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done amazingly well especially as you have had such a challenging 6 months. Well done. And it sounds like your DN is a keeper.
Thank you - as a matter of interest do you self fund your strips? If you do which meter do you use - I do supplement my strips at the moment but like I said I've lost my script for testing now I'm off the gliclizide so need a cheaper option :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - as a matter of interest do you self fund your strips? If you do which meter do you use - I do supplement my strips at the moment but like I said I've lost my script for testing now I'm off the gliclizide so need a cheaper option :)
I do self fund. I used to use more than I do now. Now I do fbs and before and after x 2 so 5 a day. I kinda have an idea what a cheese omelette will be BS wise 2 hours after.

I use code free, not as accurate as some meters and a few forum members have had trouble with them (bad batches being one issue that I myself had):

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Its about 15% discount. Don't forget to declare you are diabetic or you will be charged VAT

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a great result - and considering you have come OFF Glic, you should cut yourself a bit more rope on the HbA1c! :D

But... you do know that this means you are doomed to eat dietdoctor very low carb deliciousness indefinitely, don't you...? ;)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant result, more so as you stopped the Gliclazide! Welcome to the self funding club! ;)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all - will check out the metre - will look at the tee2 as well - if anyone has knowledge of it I would appreciate opinions:)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys :) - think I'll go for the tee2 after reading about the problems with codefree - I have an element metre from my GP but the strips seem a bit expensive compared to others

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys :) - think I'll go for the tee2 after reading about the problems with codefree - I have an element metre from my GP but the strips seem a bit expensive compared to others
The Tee2 stripscare £7.75 for 50 from spirit healthcare.. the use by date on my last batch was August 2020

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Smashing job, well done in the face of a dodgy half year and coming off a med. Smiles all round. Keep up the great work.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @bulkbiker and @Goonergal use Tee2s now. Forgive me if I’ve got that wrong!

Yes, that’s right. Proving to be more consistent than the Codefree. Codefree was fine for a couple of years but recently became extremely unreliable. The Tee2 readings are in line with the previous year’s readings from the Codefree, so confident in it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your input - I've purchased a Tee2 and 100 strips - they are a lot cheaper than the element strips so that's a bonus :)