My mornings are all messed up!

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I used to have my mornings sorted out to near-perfection. I suffer(ed) from DP, so used to take 2u to counteract that as soon as I woke up. Then I had my breakfast at a 1:8 ratio with my jab taken just before eating, which has always kept me pretty much flat until lunch time (I use Libre).

I've recently suffered with a few terrible colds which have thrown everything off. My levels generally have gone back to 'normal', but my mornings are suddenly all different! I no longer seem to suffer from DP, my levels stay relatively flat after getting up. However... I now get MASSIVE spikes for breakfast and my ratio isn't right anymore either as I keep ending up high before lunch, even when taking 2u extra.

What's going on? Has anyone had this happen to them before? I will obviously be adjusting my ratio and trying to pre-bolus to stop the spike, but I just have no idea what's causing this sudden change and if it's temporary or not. The rest of the day is unaffected, lunch or dinner don't give me spikes and ratios have stayed the same.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Levy - Sadly this is the joy of living with type 1..

Just when you think you have it sorted a curve ball comes along and throws everything haywire. I too have seen changes with no rhyme or reason over the past few weeks, some great and some dreadful. The only thing I can say is to just try and stick with it for a few more days to get some regular patterns in and seeing what the outcome is, I wouldn't rush into basal changes though as there are bugs about and this could be a possible reason so maybe just keep a watchful eye over the next few days and correct where necessary, rather than adjusting your basal just yet.

Reactions: Levy

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Levy - Sadly this is the joy of living with type 1..

Just when you think you have it sorted a curve ball comes along and throws everything haywire. I too have seen changes with no rhyme or reason over the past few weeks, some great and some dreadful. The only thing I can say is to just try and stick with it for a few more days to get some regular patterns in and seeing what the outcome is, I wouldn't rush into basal changes though as there are bugs about and this could be a possible reason so maybe just keep a watchful eye over the next few days and correct where necessary, rather than adjusting your basal just yet.
Thanks, though I'm not considering adjusting my basal as I don't think that's the issue. The change I was talking about was my breakfast carb:insulin ratio.

You're right though, I'm feeling like I'm forever adjusting just when I think I've got things sorted!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Levy I really do feel your pain, sorry i'd interpreted it that you were going to adjust your basal, so that's ok then :) it's been like this for me, was fine before Xmas, then going away and change in routine and my levels have been a nightmare, all day Sunday and yesterday I was hitting 17mmol/ so ended up taking my bolus correction by pen instead of pump just to see if it was my insulin and yesterday came back down to 7.9 mmol/l finally, have also been nursing a sick child hence why i've got my maternal hat on for watching out for bugs at the moment - ok today though, so hopefully things will resume as normal. Hope this sorts itself out for you soon though ?

Reactions: Levy

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like just one of these things, that you wont be able to pin point with any accuracy......

the main thing is you have got the tools and expertise to accommodate the changes.......

will it be temporary, who knows, but my own personal experience of diabetes is that nothing stays the same for too long...

Reactions: Juicyj and Levy