Type 1 My new boss won't let me have sweets in my pocket, what are my rights?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi. I work in Sainsbury's as an online shopper for the last 2 years. My previous boss had no issues with anything I needed. (like testing, or having to go buy sweets, keeping my phone on me, etc). I don't generally have hypos at work as I start at 4am and my 8pm dinner dose (30/70 mixed insulin) is enough to cover a small breakfast at 3:30am. I take my main big dose when I get home at 9am.

Anyway, in a few weeks I may be changing to basal bolus. I mentioned this to my new boss (who nobody likes!) in a return to work meeting. She is trying to discipline me for slipping on a puddle at work and hurting my back which is bad enough. I told her that as I will be having a dose before work in the future, I will need to keep sweets in my pocket. If I accidentally miscalculate how many carbs are in my breakfast, I assume even 1 extra unit of short acting can cause hypos. My job is very physical as well. She told me no, and said I can "maybe" keep sweets in the back room, which is really far away from the shop floor! Surely this is illegal or certainly worth asking the union?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did she give you a reason for not having sweets in your pocket? It seems very draconian to me, never mind dangerous for you.

Reactions: 4 people

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
No, it's just "against the rules" to have anything in your pocket except work things. I personally keep my phone on me. If anything happens and no one is around, I will need it. Previous manager had no issue, even the horrible night manager had no problem with it when I told her one night when I was doing overtime I had sweets.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you could get a doctor's note to say they are a medical aid and necessary for you to have available at all times? Or maybe you could swap the sweets for glucose tablets?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I agree with Catherine. Your boss is already acting in an unprofessional manner regarding attempting to discipline you, so I would suggest that a discussion with HR and more senior management was necessary, as this is not reasonable behaviour relating to the Equality act.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Go higher up the chain of command and explain.

This is what I had to do with my old boss, have been in my job a lot of years, no one ever had probs with me keeping sweets/bg kit around but my new boss a few years ago did, she had no reason not to allow it she just loved to be awkward x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The boss is being ridiculous and I suspect if you elevate it to HR in Sainsburys he will get his hand smacked. BTW glucose tablets may be better than sweets and considered more 'medical' as well.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Catherinecherub that you should go higher up the management chain, everyone on insulin should carry fast-acting glucose with them at all times, especially when active soon after injecting as in your case @Catsymoo, fight this all the way........

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Why do you have to have sweets? Glucose tablets will do the same job as will some liquid glucose, they are a vital life saving medication, if the manager objects to this then put in a formal complaint and have her educated on the pitfalls of being an insulin dependant diabetic.

Reactions: 8 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ridiculous. :banghead:

I'd suggest contacting HR first, not going to your bosses boss. Stick to the facts and ask your HR representative how to proceed. A doctor's note may be all that's required. If that fails, contact your union. I'm in the US, not the UK, but I do filing, data entry, and other tasks for an HR office. In the US, this could result in unwanted litigation if not resolved.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I would suggest you go to your GP and get a 'fit note' that will say you are fit to work, with the following support/adjustment - carrying glucose tabs on you at all times/able to treat hypo at any time.

Once you have the fit note take it to your boss and say that on your doctor's advice you need to carry glucose in case of hypos.

Most bosses will not disagree with a doctor's recommendation in black and white.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got a type 1 mate who works on the shop floor at JS. They allow her to keep glucose tabs on one of the metal cage trolley things

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its just funny! people make rules, hes no god. Youre not having sweets for fun, that they dont smell, dont litter, dont make noise.

May I get there and hit that person in the a@&?

katiemc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am in the same job different employer and was told by OH that because I am covered under the disability act that I can leave the shop floor as often as required for checks etc and I can keep sweets with me at all times. Can you check with them maybe. It may anger your boss more if you do go further up the chain, so be careful.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Catsymoo, I'm going to add a bit more to my above suggestions. When talking with your HR representative, in addition to stating the problem, do so in a respectful manner, as if your boss was in the room with you. My experience has been that most professionals often demonstrate discretion in these situations, but you can't consistently count on that. Wouldn't hurt to write out the points you wish to make in that initial call before hand. That way you'll be well prepared, and you'll have a record of what you said to the HR representative. Let us know what happens. :)

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I just want to clear something up that was bothering me. When I say sweets, I mean sugar/fast acting glucose. I don't really like glucose tablets, and I find they don't work for me as well as things like jelly babies. Last time I was out and had a hypo, I bought glucose tablets, I ate almost the entire pack and I was still hypo. They pushed my sugar up enough to make it to a shop to buy a smoothie.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the same job different employer and was told by OH that because I am covered under the disability act that I can leave the shop floor as often as required for checks etc and I can keep sweets with me at all times. Can you check with them maybe. It may anger your boss more if you do go further up the chain, so be careful.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi I'm a union rep and the information above is correct you are classed as disabled and the law states an employer 'must' make reasonable adjustments for your disability. A fit note from your doctor would save all the hassle because the doctor can clearly state the sweets/ glucose is required as a reasonable adjustment, as a Senior Manager she is on very shaky ground refusing you reasonable adjustments. HR will put the manager straight they would not want the threat of litigation for refusal of reasonable adjustments. There are a number of other things you could also request, private room to test your blood sugars etc....

Reactions: 6 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a type 1 mate who works on the shop floor at JS. They allow her to keep glucose tabs on one of the metal cage trolley things

That's very dignified of the employer, do they also make her wear a sign stating I AM DISABLED!

I despair of the way people are treated in this day and age!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I work in Sainsbury's as an online shopper for the last 2 years. My previous boss had no issues with anything I needed. (like testing, or having to go buy sweets, keeping my phone on me, etc). I don't generally have hypos at work as I start at 4am and my 8pm dinner dose (30/70 mixed insulin) is enough to cover a small breakfast at 3:30am. I take my main big dose when I get home at 9am.

Anyway, in a few weeks I may be changing to basal bolus. I mentioned this to my new boss (who nobody likes!) in a return to work meeting. She is trying to discipline me for slipping on a puddle at work and hurting my back which is bad enough. I told her that as I will be having a dose before work in the future, I will need to keep sweets in my pocket. If I accidentally miscalculate how many carbs are in my breakfast, I assume even 1 extra unit of short acting can cause hypos. My job is very physical as well. She told me no, and said I can "maybe" keep sweets in the back room, which is really far away from the shop floor! Surely this is illegal or certainly worth asking the union?

When I read these threads, I try to read them both as an individual, but also as a Manager, to try to see both sides of the story.

I have no gripe with the others' responses saying this needs to be addressed, but would urge you to consider how you may be presenting this to your Manager. I know as a Manager, I would hear the following part very loudly, and very clearly; "....If I accidentally miscalculate how many carbs are in my breakfast,....".

Putting myself into your Manager's shoes, and assuming she doesn't have any understanding of diabetes, control or treatments, I could interpret the forgoing statement as, ".... well, if I **** up, I'll have a hypo, and then I'll need my sweets....".

My understanding is that particularly in the early days, there are so many factors to get your head around, in addition to carb counting. By that I mean things like your new insulins reacting slightly differently with your body, then potentially with longer or shorter acting carbs, heat, stress illness, and so on. Please don't do yourself the dis-service of subliminally suggesting to your boss your approach is going to be in any way slap-dash.

So, I might be inclined to express the situation as something like; "My medication is shortly to change and there may be a settling in period, whilst the doses settle and my body gets used to the new insulin, but it is important to take this step for the longer term. During this period there could be times when my body may react in a slightly unexpected way, and carrying something sweet in my pocket is the quickest, most sure-fire way of dealing with the situation and minimising the impact."

Those mightn't be the right words for you to use, but can you see how they might be "heard" differently by someone who doesn't understand how diabetes and MDI works?

Once you have this first step sorted, it'll be so much easier to deal with the longer term, as a precedent will have been set with her, and if necessary, I'm sure Occupational Health would be supportive, as part of their role is to ensure employees are fit and healthy in the workplace.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: 12 people