My new HbA1c test result is...

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the flour used is traditionally stone ground, you may find a better than expected reaction to it. It's the modern steel milled flours that are much more quickly digestible, due to a much smaller grain, and so raises blood sugar faster than, stone ground.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the flour used is traditionally stone ground, you may find a better than expected reaction to it. It's the modern steel milled flours that are much more quickly digestible, due to a much smaller grain, and so raises blood sugar faster than, stone ground.
I hope my artisan sourdough qualifies.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just catching up with posts and wanted to say a huge well done and congratulations @IanBish you’re an inspiration and all your hard work has paid off :cool:

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay, well done Ian, that is a wonderful result, I am so pleased for you! We are smashing it!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Between grief, an injury and lots of pain meds (including amitriptyline that gave me a huge appetite) I know if it is up it is understandable and I will not spiral. Next year will be better (I hope).
Similar to myself, smashed up in major accident, but worst pain was the broken shoulder nerve issue.. given amitriptyline, stopped the pain in minutes.

Never got the munchies mind.

This was pointed out to me about amitriptyline from someone on here.
Much be worthy of taking note.

Reactions: Laineybod

Laineybod

Similar to myself, smashed up in major accident, but worst pain was the broken shoulder nerve issue.. given amitriptyline, stopped the pain in minutes.

Never got the munchies mind.

This was pointed out to me about amitriptyline from someone on here.
Much be worthy of taking note.

That's good to know thanks, my dad had mixed dementia so I definitely want to avoid any risk factors. Thankfully I am in my forties and came off them after about 6 months of use so it shouldn't be a problem for me. I never want to go on them again anyway so it gives me more of a reason now. The hunger really was intense and gone within a few days, I could feel the difference immensely it was so strange. Just a shame as it really did the trick with my nerve pain.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good to know thanks, my dad had mixed dementia so I definitely want to avoid any risk factors. Thankfully I am in my forties and came off them after about 6 months of use so it shouldn't be a problem for me. I never want to go on them again anyway so it gives me more of a reason now. The hunger really was intense and gone within a few days, I could feel the difference immensely it was so strange. Just a shame as it really did the trick with my nerve pain.
Same here @Laineybod , 11 years with my mum, so I really took notice when it was mentioned.

Great to hear they helped you & that you don't need them anymore.

For me, a month in HDU, post operations, hooked up to morphine, etc successfully managing out the pain in my leg, hand & other arm.
So it was a shock to be literally screaming out despite all that & begging doctors for something else to treat what seemed the least of my injuries.
(I thought they had missed another break, I was in such agony)

It certainly was a very effective med for nerve pain, it settled it down almost immediately.

Docs say the healing is over, and I still have restricted movements of limbs. (2 years now).
GP reluctant to re-issue a new script for the flare ups in shoulder.

So for now, not pushing it and trying to manage the pain without it & doing ok, so far.
Long may that continues.

Yes, it is a good reason to avoid.

Last edited:

Laineybod

Same here @Laineybod , 11 years with my mum, so I really took notice when it was mentioned.

Great to hear they helped you & that you don't need them anymore.

For me, a month in HDU, post operations, hooked up to morphine, etc successfully managing out the pain in my leg, hand & other arm.
So it was a shock to be literally screaming out despite all that & begging doctors for something else to treat what seemed the least of my injuries.
(I thought they had missed another break, I was in such agony)

It certainly was a very effective med for nerve pain, it settled it down almost immediately.

Docs say the healing is over, and I still have restricted movements of limbs. (2 years now).
GP reluctant to re-issue a new script for the flare ups in shoulder.

So for now, not pushing it and trying to manage the pain without it & doing ok, so far.
Long may that continues.

Yes, it is a good reason to avoid.
Wow sorry you had such a rotten time and I hope things are better for you soon. Also sorry about your mum, such a horrible thing to go through. My dad would have lasted longer but COVID was the last straw, he threw it off so well to start with then just went down hill and that was that. He was about ten years from diagnosis.
I can't even say it was such a dramatic incident that caused my issues, not even sure exactly what happened it's all a bit odd.

• Friendly

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow sorry you had such a rotten time and I hope things are better for you soon. Also sorry about your mum, such a horrible thing to go through. My dad would have lasted longer but COVID was the last straw, he threw it off so well to start with then just went down hill and that was that. He was about ten years from diagnosis.
I can't even say it was such a dramatic incident that caused my issues, not even sure exactly what happened it's all a bit odd.
Oh, that's sound awful.

We lost mum 2016, and god forgive me, but I was glad we didn't have to go through COVID and all that entailed at here care home .. hugs for you having to journey through that

Thank you
Same to you .

Here's to a happy, healthy & Prosperous 2024 for all.

Laineybod

Oh, that's sound awful.

We lost mum 2016, and god forgive me, but I was glad we didn't have to go through COVID and all that entailed at here care home .. hugs for you having to journey through that

Thank you
Same to you .

Here's to a happy, healthy & Prosperous 2024 for all.
Thank you, here's hoping

• Agree

BigAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stupid people.

"Intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people are not offended."

Author unkown
Hello, it was 69 mmol/mol In April, and is 37 mmol/mol today, so I guess I'm in remission.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to the forum members for their explanations, encouragement, support, as well as a few tellings off.

I know that @LeafyArts has recently posted a great HbA1c result recently, and I wanted to do the same, to encourage people who may just be starting out with a diagnosis, or who may have fallen off the wagon, to show that it does pay off.

Although, like @LeafyArts , I still have a way to go with excess weight yet, but I'll continue until the bitter end.

I know there's no cure (that's for a future thread) so I realise I'll probably always be a diabetic in waiting. I'm not going anywhere. I'll help where I can, and I just love to read the success stories.

Hello, it was 69 mmol/mol In April, and is 37 mmol/mol today, so I guess I'm in remission.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to the forum members for their explanations, encouragement, support, as well as a few tellings off.

I know that @LeafyArts has recently posted a great HbA1c result recently, and I wanted to do the same, to encourage people who may just be starting out with a diagnosis, or who may have fallen off the wagon, to show that it does pay off.

Although, like @LeafyArts , I still have a way to go with excess weight yet, but I'll continue until the bitter end.

I know there's no cure (that's for a future thread) so I realise I'll probably always be a diabetic in waiting. I'm not going anywhere. I'll help where I can, and I just love to read the success stories.

Well done Ian.
Being in remission is good, in fact it's brilliant. When you gave had cancer, and gone into remission, your medical notes will ALWAYS say,

" Cancer patient in remission". Even if it was 30 odd years ago, it's still there so having
"diabetic, in remission" on your notes is a good thing I guess.

My last numbers were 56, down from 75 but then Christmas happened.lol.

Keep up the good work on the weight. I need 35kg off then I xan go paragliding.....

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Ian.
Being in remission is good, in fact it's brilliant. When you gave had cancer, and gone into remission, your medical notes will ALWAYS say,

" Cancer patient in remission". Even if it was 30 odd years ago, it's still there so having
"diabetic, in remission" on your notes is a good thing I guess.

My last numbers were 56, down from 75 but then Christmas happened.lol.

Keep up the good work on the weight. I need 35kg off then I xan go paragliding.....
Thanks @BigAlan. I'm well aware that I'm still a diabetic-in-waiting. I'm being a tiny bit less strict now, but I'm not being complacent.

Good luck with those HbA1c numbers.

• Love
Reactions: aylalake