My new toy - aka the Ketonix "breathalyzer"

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm something of a gadget freak... :p and after reading @borofergie's threads a while back about using the Ketonix Ketone Analyzer for testing ketone levels, although I thought it was quite expensive and I didn't really need one, :greedy:green-eyed:greedy: envy set in and I finally decided I just had to own one too! It was invented by an epileptic, Michel Lundell, who uses a ketogenic diet to control his seizures (which is an old tried and tested method used in the early 1900s!); it's made in Sweden and you can buy it directly from the Ketonix website. My main feelings about it initially were firstly the highish price, though this has now been reduced, and secondly and more importantly the fact that it apparently relied on a USB connection to a computer for power, more of which later. (They've also now introduced a more expensive Sports model which is more expensive and measures a greater ketone range - mainly at higher levels.)

There are three different ways of measuring your ketones levels, and these also measure slightly different chemicals so they're apparently not directly comparable. (More details on the different types of measurements, plus other information, can be found on the Ketonix website. There are now also some reviews on the web where users comparison tests have been made using these three different measurements.) The first method tests beta-hydroxybutyrate in your blood which is the most accurate and also the most expensive method and this can be done with certain glucose monitors, and special - very expensive - ketone test strips, and will give you up-to-the-minute results. Some type 1 diabetics test this way, as it can also be used to check for ketoacidosis? The least reliable and cheapest test checks for acetoacetate in urine with ketone test strips such as Ketostix; this method can only give you delayed results from the surplus (if any!) ketones flushed out with your wee, but it's cheap and cheerful, if slightly messy, and is probably quite adequate if you are on a low carb diet. The Ketonix falls in the middle, both for accuracy and price, and checks the acetone levels in your breath; but its main advantage is that it's a one-off investment - there's nothing else to buy as it stands, but it relies on either a computer or something like and Amazon Kindle USB.mains plug to power it, though again see below for a solution to this issue.

I finally decided that I'd get one after I'd read, and discovered for myself, that the waste ketones in your urine can often disappear when you are nicely in ketosis - I was sometimes having this happen, but at the same time could often "taste" them in my mouth, so I wanted some other definite and visible proof too, and it seemed a perfect justification (errm excuse :eek:) to treat my self to this nifty little gadget. I also did a bit of research on Amazon, and found that I could buy small lightweight USB power packs complete with on/off switches, which meant that I could use the Ketonix as a free standing, completely portable unit. It arrived from Sweden within a week.

The Ketonix itself is a small translucent tube about 6" long with a USB cable and connector permanently attached, and comes in a little drawstring bag. You blow into its mouthpiece to measure the levels of ketones in your breathe; it has a set of led "traffic lights" which light up to indicate the different ketone levels that it measures: blue for base/neutral, green for a low level, yellow for moderate, and red for a high reading. It needs to be powered up before use and this normally takes several minutes, entertaining you with flashing sequences of its led lights until it decides it's ready to go and then it sits at a steady blue. You need to blow into it gently with a normal exhaled breath for a minimum of 15 seconds for it to register. If you can keep on breathing out until your lungs are more or less empty (which can be quite hard!) you get a better indication of your ketone level, but one thing it's best not to do is to take a (deep) breath just before you blow as this means you're blowing out "fresh" air instead of nice ketone laden breath! At first I found the colours a bit misleading, as the green is rather yellowish and I mistook it for yellow, which actually is quite orange!

I'm finding in general that if I test in the morning, I get a slightly lower result than later in the day, which tends to be somewhat higher than I'd anticipated.

The small power pack I bought is the PowerAdd Ultra Slim from Amazon, it's not very expensive, is both very small and very lightweight, comes with a number of different colour trims, and additionally includes a selection of interchangeable connectors - only required for recharging it, and as a bonus, a plugin led light to convert it into a torch.

My Ketonix and its matching (!! :p) power pack both fit very nicely into the drawstring bag, and because of the on/off power switch I can leave the Ketonix plugged into to the power pack: all I have to do is take them out of the bag, switch on and then wait until it's stopped flashing and is ready to go.

ketonix_with_power_pack.jpg

My completely colour co-ordinated Ketonix kit! :p:p:p (Alliterative too...)
Robbity

Reactions: 13 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Indy, I've recently found it (in passing, but not had time to looked at it yet....

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, thanks @Robbity now I need one too. ;)

I've never had a ketone measuring thing before...

New toy! New toy! New toy! New toy! New toy!

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definitely get one - it's much better than my original slightly messy wee sticks, and it's great fun and pretty too - and it does a nice happy ketosis :p rosy :p glow if you're a very good girl!

ketonix_red.jpg

Robbnity

Reactions: 6 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Been using mine old regular version for a while and when now doing my strict (<10 g carbs/day) mine is usually going red in less then 5-6 sec

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been using mine old regular version for a while and when now doing my strict (<10 g carbs/day) mine is usually going red in less then 5-6 sec

I think I'm actually eating rather too many carbs at the moment but a lot of the time I'm still going into the red. I'm finding that sometimes it will sort of pop through all the colours in less than 15 seconds, other times I really need to breathe out everything in my lungs to get red. I am seeing both speed of colour change and, to a certain extent, colour intensity as indicators too. I'm still not losing any (more) weight though...:(:mad:

Today was a rather bad carb day and after dinner I only just managed a rather feeble orange/yellow. And

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definitely get one - it's much better than my original slightly messy wee sticks, and it's great fun and pretty too - and it does a nice happy ketosis :p rosy :p glow if you're a very good girl!

View attachment 5719

Robbnity
Ermegherd.... I need one of these! I love tech, and if it's giving me the confidence, as in keeping my ketosis at the correct levels, then it just has to be! I have also taken your advice, re: the charger ☺ thanks @Robbity :)

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm seeing prices in $ and SEK
Did you pay something like £100 for the unit (without battery)?

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will look into this more - it is of real interest - thank you!

DJaneen1123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We bought the Ketonix but really confused on what is suppose to be happening. We saw there were different settings and finally set it on the nutrition setting. We both keep our carbs under 20..way under. I was running in the upper 60's and have dropped down into mid 50's. Am I in ketosis or not. Struggling with knowing what is going on.

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DJaneen1123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Ketonix web site indicates that in general a value between 40 and 70 represents nutritional ketosis. It also suggests some water fasting routines that you can follow to find the exact range for you (with doctors advise if this is safe for you). See
https://www.ketonix.com/index.php?o...to-use-my-ketonix&catid=27&lang=en&Itemid=437

Personally, I have not done a water fast and just use the general range.

Okay...thanks! That helps. We missed that part of the page on the numbers so we are okay. We are in ketosis anyway. Glad I found this forum. :)

JenniferG

From the ketonix web site:

Ketonix2PPM2.png

So an average of 55, would be equivalent to 1.4 mmol/L of BHB in blood? Is that what the graph is saying?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I bought a Ketonix after reading the reviews here. After a bit of trouble setting the thing up, I find it easy to use and now test regularly.
However, I am not impressed with the response from the Ketonix support. Although they were very good helping me get started, they have just ignored all the emails I have sent (despite saying they would get back within a set time) regarding what the readings actually mean. From their chart, it is easy to see that a value of 60 represents a ppm acetone level of 2.0 in the breath. But what is that in terms of mmol/L of BHB in blood? Unless you can get an idea of what the numbers mean, it's no better than a colour range on a Ketostix. Even an approximate comparison would be better than the nothing at all they provide at the moment.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only ever used the original "traffic lights" standard Ketonix (which is quite adequate for my needs), so can't comment on the new models and their software. Bur as fas as I know (and some bloggers did comparison tests with the original versions) there isn't necessarily any correlation between testing for ketone levels via blood and via breath as they are measuring different chemicals (beta-hydroxybutyrate or acetone).

I did a few checks when I got my Freestyle Libre and treated myself to a few expensive ketone test strips, as the reader also measures both ketone and glucose levels, but I didn't find any real consistency between the results from the strips and the Ketonix readings either. (But mine was idle curiosity rather than serious attempts at comparisons... )

Robbity

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found this video from the Low Carb Vail conference earlier this year - lecture is by the inventor of the Ketonix and a brain cancer sufferer who uses the device to fine tune her ketogenic diet. Hope it's of interest to some of the Ketonix users: