My personal hypothesis - T2 - Low insulin Diet

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This chart demonstrates very well why the diet one is looking for should be as high fat as you can stand. I find I can usually get to 60% fats, 20% carbs, 20% proteins reasonably easily, though it looks like even more fats would be better.
glucose and insulin respons 54% meal annotated.jpg

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was the last ( hopefully ) of one meal a day feasting hiatus - low carb dinner party - prawn and scallopn in saffron lemon and dill butter sauce, sirloin steak wth bernasie sauce sprouts, celeriac, turnip and carrot, strawberries and raspeberries coated in dark chocolate and cream sauce, with cream and nuts and prosecco 60% fat . Magnificient repast, about 2000 calories, 86.9 this morning so only a tiny weight gain and STILL ketotic - bodes well - just have to half everything now. I have to admit I have NEVER eaten such nice food as since realising I'm diabetic and especially since eating just once per day

Reactions: TIANDB and Salvia

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The headline blames cheap fatty meats, so the one thing that might help them - the import of perfectly nutricious cheap cuts of fatty meat - the stuff I make the staple of my diet - may be stopped because its not the "perfect looking fat free" nutrient deficient lean cuts of meat we have been taught is the only good stuff.
Cheap fatty meat may not be the cause of the obesity and diabetes but it certainly doesn't seem to be an antidote as they eat plenty of it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35346493

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheap fatty meat may not be the cause of the obesity and diabetes but it certainly doesn't seem to be an antidote as they eat plenty of it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35346493

The key quote from that article...

"But now everyone's drinking water and we are drinking soda!"

They consume huge amounts of fizzy drink.. and I would be prepared to bet it has a fair bit of High Fructose Corn Syrup...

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well I wasn't about to recommend that 1 kg of meat per meal was a good idea! no matter what meat.(or indeed any other product) I do not buy the story that somehow a good cut of meat is SO much more nutricious than a cheap one. The offals from animals are known for being highly nutricious and cheap. I'm totally prepared to believe that the entire animal might be poor quality but it if is then I doubt it matters that much which part of the badly raised animal one chooses to consume .

As far as I understand it Tonga has suffered from an explosion of sugar, candy, processed food, spam, fizzy drinks and whitebread - and mutton flaps and turkey tails All of the former things which we know from our glucose monitors send our blood sugar skywards. We know from the very same monitors that either mutton nor turkey does to anything like the same degree - -especially the fatty parts. Therefore to single out the mutton flaps which are at last real meat, as opposed to the processed foods is in my view disingenuous and simply one more sign of the push that the processed food industry is making to export their disease causing products throughout the world and attempt to divert attention from it by vilifying anything real that they can.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Turns out yesterday was not quite my cut calories in half day - victim of a bag of pork scratchings, so not weighing myself . instead I'm being good today :)

One thing I have been quite good at though - is starting to get the HIT underway. I discovered a great way to get started is in the swimming pool. At the end of my swimming sessions ( 2-3 times a week) I have started doing a three fold exercise , 100 knees up, then 20 push ups ( shallow end as far from the bar as you can in push up pose - then lowering your nose to the bar - its remarkable had work but doable) followed by 20 squats - for some reason it seems easier to get lower even with the water resistance when not worried about falling over . I even followed that up with 10 one legged squats, though admittedly calling it a "squat " is a bit of an exaggeration. I follow that routine 3 times on each trip. I've been pleasantly surprised to find that my on land squats now do resemble a squat and I can actually do a dozen push ups. No clue what its helping as yet - but no doubt something !

Reactions: Salvia and TIANDB

Merrylizard1314

Ha! CherryAA, I also do swimming and water exercises several times a week. Squats, and ankle touches, arm exercises with water dumbbells. After an hour I feel nicely tired, but have a forty minute walk home afterwards to warm down.
Sometimes I have a bit of leg cramp, especially if I have not eaten anything rich in magnesium.But an Epsom salts bath usually fixes that problem.
I am now on day 12 of OMAD, and I am finding it is helping with BP, the highest it has been since I started, is 138/76 p 68 and no sign of a palpitation. Although losing weight was not a priority for me, I find that
In the past 11 days, I have lost 0.9 kg. It is interesting that so much food eaten at one time can have this effect, when the same amount spread over 2or3 meals can have a very different effect on the heart muscle, particularly.
Another thing that I have taken note of, is that my first BG reading a.m., is generally a little higher than I am accustomed to and was actually 6.0 this am. I do not have a CGM device, so not certain what is happening, except that the liver is giving me a kick start to the day.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha! CherryAA, I also do swimming and water exercises several times a week. Squats, and ankle touches, arm exercises with water dumbbells. After an hour I feel nicely tired, but have a forty minute walk home afterwards to warm down.
Sometimes I have a bit of leg cramp, especially if I have not eaten anything rich in magnesium.But an Epsom salts bath usually fixes that problem.
I am now on day 12 of OMAD, and I am finding it is helping with BP, the highest it has been since I started, is 138/76 p 68 and no sign of a palpitation. Although losing weight was not a priority for me, I find that
In the past 11 days, I have lost 0.9 kg. It is interesting that so much food eaten at one time can have this effect, when the same amount spread over 2or3 meals can have a very different effect on the heart muscle, particularly.
Another thing that I have taken note of, is that my first BG reading a.m., is generally a little higher than I am accustomed to and was actually 6.0 this am. I do not have a CGM device, so not certain what is happening, except that the liver is giving me a kick start to the day.

Thank you for the info. My own BP has definitely improved with one meal per day. The palpitations have also gone, my morning blood glucose is a bit higher too, but no real spikes from the main meal. It is also definitely easier to simply ignore food until the one meal that day. Its 4.45 pm and so far I've had a cup of coffee and a cup of tea plus some water and haven't really noticed at all. my few days of " switching it up " in the middle were much harder to avoid foods. Overall it just feels like a healthier way of eating.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://nutritionadvance.com/hyperinsulinemia-insulin-resistance/

Great article outlining the issue of too much insulin on overall health

Thanks @CherryAA for those links. Really good and very clearly explained articles.

Having previously had a couple of 5 day periods of one meal a day, I’m currently toying with the idea of seeing how long I can keep it up. Four days in and so far so good. No dramatic weight loss or change in blood sugars - 0.4 kg loss and sugars in the same range (pretty much low to mid 4s and low 5s most of the time, bar some morning liver dumps), but I am getting close to my original target weight of 63.5 kg (currently 67.7kg). I expect that target will need to be revised down as I’m still carrying weight around my middle - and hope that one meal a day will help with that. Also planning on hitting the gym for some resistance work.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@CherryAA

I cooked your magic lasagne recipe last night - absolutely gorgeous! :) :)

Thanks for the recipe

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi cherry, whats happening? Have missed your up dates. Hope all is ok.

Hi
All is well, I've just been horrendously busy , so hadn't had time to be on here much. I am still sticking to one meal a day, HIT, swimming, having fun with life,my weight is around 85 kilos and I'm finding it quite easy to keep it there. I am going to make a new push before xmas, but in the meantime all is going well
I'll be back !