1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

MY TURN TO CELEBRATE!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by lindijanice, Mar 20, 2018.

1. lindijanice

lindijanice Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hey All, Just had a call this afternoon from my surprised and enthused Nurse Practioner! My HBA1c was 6.6 from 7.2 due to the low carbing! She was very skeptical when at 7.2 she was preaching another med and I refused and said I was doing LCHF with the intent to eventually get off Metformin - been at 2000mg/day for 17 years! So, today, we decided I would go to 1000mg/day. All other blood work was "wonderful" and "Whatever you are doing, keep doing it" was her goodbye:) Indeed I shall - still "just" losing weight slowly, but hoping that by birthday I can celebrate 90 lb weight loss - just hit the 80 lb loss:)

I've said it before and will say it again that this Forum has been a God send for me and I couldn't have accomplished all this without the kindness and support of all of you on here. Having had such poor control and attitude towards my diabetes for so many years, I never would have thought that maybe I could succeed as well. Thank you all so very much - hugs and blessings/L

• Winner Winner x 29
    • Like Like x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Brilliant! Well done for standing your ground and proving your nurse wrong :joyful:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Brilliant news well done you!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Brilliant @lindijanice, and 80lb is a huge weight loss. You should be very proud of yourself. Your nurse obviously is. :)

You did this, not the forum. It was your own hard work.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A very well done to you @lindijanice - that's amazing and 80lb weight loss - wow! Any top tips on what has worked the most for you while following LCHF?

• Like Like x 1
  8. lindijanice

Thank you all for your congrats!! I am pleased and even more so when the Hubby hugs me and says he is proud of me too:) (He gets choked up as saying it:)) That just gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling after 46 years together!! Cheers/L

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  9. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aw that's so sweet. Congratulations, its wonderful news!

• Like Like x 1
  10. lindijanice

Hey @eggs11, I think the secret has been eliminating sugars, carbs, grains, low fat stuff - the usual suspects. When I had my greatest weight loss I was also caffeine free, which I have allowed back into my life as my "guilty pleasure" but keeping it under control. Also the biggest side effect of LCMF for me has been having the strength to meet the devilish negative narrative that has ranted in my head for nigh onto 50 years. Why do I attribute that to low carbing? Because I am never hungry and when I get a "nudge" to cheat, fail, throw in the towel, I now see that I am worth looking after, I am in control and make my decisions about what to eat or not to eat and I can squelch that narrative before I listen too long and start to second guess myself. That is empowering like nothing else. Hope that helps/L

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Christina0308

Christina0308 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic amount of weight loss, very well done :D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. eggs11

Thanks @lindijanice - love your new narrative and can totally relate, I always felt something was wrong with me when I got hungry on many, many previous low fat diets - I would then try and fill up on appalling 'fat free' food like copious amounts of diet yogurts - which I now realise have probably helped give me a fatty liver. I love your empowering mantra you say to yourself, I'm going to nick that idea! Well done again - 80 lbs is such an amazing achievement.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Fabulous work, well done that lass!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Fantastic results @lindijanice :) :) :)
    You deserve it after all your hard work. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I think those yoguarts should have a health warning stamped on them. My mother won't here how dangerous they are for her and her fatty liver.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations Lindijanice. Amazing weight loss and numbers be proud. This forum has supported so many of us and showed us how its done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. eggs11

I always knew they were 'fake' food with lots of chemicals added to them, but they filled me up more than anything else I was allowed to eat at the time. It's funny how low carb is considered radical or faddy by some HCPs (not my nurse luckily) - yet it really consists of natural foods only, nothing processed, it makes much more sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Mind u I've never ate them. I never saw the point of them when I could afford fresh fruit and milk.
    However I ate too much fruit.

Now I'm eating too much cereals to fill me up til my op. Much cheaper than fruit and veg. Porridge and water, when skint.
    I know after my op I won't need the extra filling. My stomach doesn't need the bulk once back to its correct size.
    I fight with hunger but cannot afford extra protein at the moment. Thank god for the nhs. I'd be dead otherwise. One way or another.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  20. Phoenix55

Phoenix55 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Well done to you for showing everyone around you that they were wrong, and for having the courage to try something different after so many years of being told what to eat. You have done the work, you have lost the weight, you have had the courage to try something you HCP thought was not right. Thank you for sharing your brilliant result with us, giving us the courage to carry on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook