Nasty surprise - lesson learnt

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. A wet and grey morning in my corner of NZ. This is not the nasty surprise, we are grateful for the rain and do need some more. Our town council has had to enforce water restrictions in the last month.
The nasty surprise was the reading of 9.2 that I got this morning after swimming.
Fasting blood glucose at 5:30am was 8.3
Since I wasn't hungry, I didn't have breakfast when I went for a 45min swim at 6am. This I think was a mistake - exercising on an 'empty' tummy. I can only assume that it led to the so called liver dumping?
Lesson learnt: I won't be running off to the pool again early in the morning without having something small for breakfast - even if I'm not hungry.
I felt quite ill as well so when I got home I ate half a small apple and spoonful of cottage cheese. Still felt ill. Next a cup of hot tea and a cracker with peanut butter. That fixed me enough to be able to drive hubby and children to work and school.
After a long walk, blood glucose level is now 7.
Has anyone experienced something similar?
Maybe I should get my meter checked just to be sure it is giving correct readings.
Would appreciate your helpful views on this morning's experience. Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, sounds very familiar. The dear old liver over-performs in the morning - better to eat as early as you can, *or* take a correction dose.

It's that old Dawn Phenomenon.

The swimming still will have done you good.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
My bg starts rising either on or before waking, continues to rise until i eat (even if only aBrazil nut or cube of cheese or cup of coffee with cream), then it settles down to a steady level.

Exercise on an empty stomach like that would drive me to an 11+ liverdump, then a hideous crash into a hypo.

:(

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, sounds very familiar. The dear old liver over-performs in the morning - better to eat as early as you can, *or* take a correction dose.

It's that old Dawn Phenomenon.

The swimming still will have done you good.
Thanks LucySW. Yes that was the one consolation this morning - the exercise would still have been useful overall.

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup.
My bg starts rising either on or before waking, continues to rise until i eat (even if only aBrazil nut or cube of cheese or cup of coffee with cream), then it settles down to a steady level.

Exercise on an empty stomach like that would drive me to an 11+ liverdump, then a hideous crash into a hypo.

:(

Thanks for the ideas, Brunneria , re "even if only aBrazil nut or cube of cheese or cup of coffee with cream)," - I'll keep that in mind. Being diabetic really does require a change in mindsets where food and eating habits are concerned, doesn't it? I'm not really a breakfast eater but of course that has changed. I was so busy today I forgot to eat lunch, then at three o'clock I hastily took two bites of an apple, to avoid a repeat of this morning.Blood glucose is now 6.5, hopefully I'll be able to go to bed tonight with this number.