Nausea

lynbrown

I'm a T2 on metformin and two types of insulin. I take other tablets too for HBP, cholesterol and angina. This has been the case for more than 10 years now. Since about 3 years ago, every day, I wake up feeling mildly nauseous which builds up as the day goes on. I take a spoon of Gaviscon if its bad. By 5pm I am struggling to think of any food for my main meal, thoughts of food make me heave. I now hate all Italian food (used to love it), don't fancy chops or roasted meats. I can manage a baked potato or a ready meal of chicken and gravy. I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago plus an endoscopy and both were clear. My biggest problem is my frequent hypos during the night because I haven't eaten enough before bed. Last night at 11pm, I took 4 jelly babies and a spoon of honey to keep my blood sugars up. I slept right through. great! What is causing the nausea?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi, I really feel for you. It's bad enough feeling nauseous and off your food at any time, but so much worse when it seems everybody else is feasting.
Sorry I have no idea as to what may be causing your nausea. My bouts of nausea were before I became diabetic and were mostly caused by medicines which I had been advised to have with breakfast. I solved that by taking them with a small snack just before bedtime and then could sleep through the worst of the effects.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's horrible to feel like that, am sending you hugs. Have you thought of asking your dr for anti-nausea medication? It may help you feel more like eating. There can be many causes of nausea, but I have issues with certain brands of tablets and also found that changing the time of day I took certain tablets helped, e.g. taking statins at bedtime, but it would depend if you have to take medication at a certain time.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a T2 on metformin and two types of insulin. I take other tablets too for HBP, cholesterol and angina. This has been the case for more than 10 years now. Since about 3 years ago, every day, I wake up feeling mildly nauseous which builds up as the day goes on. I take a spoon of Gaviscon if its bad. By 5pm I am struggling to think of any food for my main meal, thoughts of food make me heave. I now hate all Italian food (used to love it), don't fancy chops or roasted meats. I can manage a baked potato or a ready meal of chicken and gravy. I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago plus an endoscopy and both were clear. My biggest problem is my frequent hypos during the night because I haven't eaten enough before bed. Last night at 11pm, I took 4 jelly babies and a spoon of honey to keep my blood sugars up. I slept right through. great! What is causing the nausea?
Is it possible for you to stop taking the metformin for a while? Say, a week or two? While a lot of meds can make one feel ill, (maybe you got a different brand, maybe they changed the contents so it doesn't agree with you anymore) that one jumps out at me. If it's not that, by process of elimination, you might want to talk to your gp about trying other meds for your other conditions, or indeed, try asking for something to settle your stomach. Quality of life counts, and the hypo's are concerning.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
If you are having frequent night hypos, please talk to your diabetes team about reducing your insulin. This is your immediate problem.

Your long term problem of nausea. Why gaviscon? Is it because it comes with indigestion and heartburn? Have your doctors thought of doing a gastric emptying test?

Sandwich-Phil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling unwell
Metformin can effect your gastro tract what type of Metformin are you taking some is slow release some is fast

Tannith

BANNED
There are so many possible causes for nausea. You need to see a doctor. Migraine is what causes my nausea. Also I believe it can be a complication of diabetes where the nerve to the stomach doesn't work properly. You need expert advice.