Need advice asap

laurar49

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
So my 11 year old son diagnosed 5 weeks ago type 1 he's struggling to eat in a regimented way today I've been in bed off nights n didn't have lunch till 330 so wasn't hungry for tea time insulin and tea... it's not 20 past 8 ( when he usually has supper and slow acting insulin) do I give him his tea and his fast acting isulin n wait untill later to have his supper time slow acting or what??
Need advice asap

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal (slow acting) insulin generally SHOULD be administered at the same times and same doses each day. For someone with no natural insulin production, their basal insulin needs should not change day-to-day.

Bolus (fast acting) insulin generally SHOULD be administered to correct for high blood sugar and/or to correct for carbohydrate consumption. The amount of insulin needed should be determined by the person's insulin-to-carb ratio which varies from person-to-person.

With that said, some of this gets thrown out the door when we're talking about someone who is recently diagnosed. If your son is still in the "Honeymoon phase" meaning his pancreas still produces some insulin that can significantly affect his basal and bolus insulin requirements.

Either way, giving him fast acting insulin without eating and without intending to correct for hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) is NOT something you should do. Bolus insulin isn't meant to be taken at specific times of the day and is meant to correct for events that would otherwise cause hyperglycemia.

Disclaimer: this is something you really need to discuss with your son's doctor. It's very dangerous to implement some of this stuff without knowing what you're doing.

laurar49

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone I phoned the children's ward and they advised me just to count carbs have his tea later ( with hr fast acting insulin ) and have his slow acting insulin at the same time so worry over !!