Need Help And Advice Please

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I might have reactive hypoglycemia.. Soon after I eat anything carby, I get hot, sweat, and my heart starts to pound really hard and feels like it's shaking my whole body. Doesn't go faster, more hard and slow. I feel hot and flustered and distressed when this happens. It is new for me but I have paid attention and it only happens if I eat something high in carbs like cake or buns or toast. Flour. Does this sound typical of RH?
I have ME and Addisons Disease and have had a few episodes of high and low BG since I got diagnosed with the Add - never previously.
Is there any point going to the doc to be tested for this - or should I just tighten up the diet a lot more? (I was eating LCHF and Paleo but have started to cheat more often recently.)
EDIT: I'm a member here because my hubby has type 2 - diet controlled and doing well.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think I might have reactive hypoglycemia.. Soon after I eat anything carby, I get hot, sweat, and my heart starts to pound really hard and feels like it's shaking my whole body. Doesn't go faster, more hard and slow. I feel hot and flustered and distressed when this happens. It is new for me but I have paid attention and it only happens if I eat something high in carbs like cake or buns or toast. Flour. Does this sound typical of RH?
I have ME and Addisons Disease and have had a few episodes of high and low BG since I got diagnosed with the Add - never previously.
Is there any point going to the doc to be tested for this - or should I just tighten up the diet a lot more? (I was eating LCHF and Paleo but have started to cheat more often recently.)
EDIT: I'm a member here because my hubby has type 2 - diet controlled and doing well.

Hi, the only advice I can give you because of your other conditions is try and get your doctor to help you.
Your symptoms are of course could be something to do with your diet and how your blood glucose levels fluctuate after doing so and only proper testing can give you any idea wether if you are going hyper or hypo.
I just can't say.
If you wish to go lower carb, it depends on if you can without upsetting your other health problems. But I have the opinion that lower carbing is more likely to help rather than hinder for most people.

Best wishes

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi fumanchu - Do you have regular updated/reviews with your medics for your Addison's? Low blood glucose can be a symptom of Addison's, so it would be good to know you're where you need to be in the management of that, as well as look towards other "stuff".

Sometimes a good, broad blood panel is useful, just as an overview.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The AI is fine, did have blips early on but is stable for now (fingers crossed). I think some of the early blips were BG too actually. I'd suddenly go funny - hot or cold sweats, feeling flustered and upset, and legs turning to treacle. I'd take my steroid, plus a glucose tab -plus eat something salty lol - overkill! - and then I'd rapidly improve. I used to think it waS the AI but now I think that was BG.
Wouldn't do any harm at all if I was to tighten up the diet and watch the carbs anyway would it? And I can wander around in here looking for menu ideas etc.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @fumanchu,
I have heard that steroids used to treat Addison's disease have to be adjusted for stress such a a viral infection etc so in such conditions an unadjusted steroid dose might be too low ? Just a thought from my reading.
Also I have read that an oral Glucose Tolerance test up to ? 4 hours (OGTT) can help sort out whether a change in your blood sugar is a possible explanation for your symptoms. Reading Lamont D's blog could be helpful too.
Best Wishes for a quick resolution of your troubles.

Reactions: fumanchu

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @fumanchu,
You could ask your doctor: I have heard that steroids used to treat Addison's disease have to be adjusted for stress such a a viral infection etc so in such conditions an unadjusted steroid dose might be too low ? Just a thought from my reading.
Also I have read that an oral Glucose Tolerance test up to ? 4 hours (OGTT) can help sort out whether a change in your blood sugar is a possible explanation for your symptoms. Reading Lamont D's blog could be helpful too.
Best Wishes for a quick resolution of your troubles.
P.S. A low functioning thyroid gland is said to be a cause of low BSLs too so a further query for your doctor.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks kitedoc - I was going to ask in here what tests there were for diagnosis. I can do that, seeing the gp on Monday. I think the Add is fairly stable just now, but that can change fast. Just a balancing act isn't it, to eat well and stay as healthy as we can. I will go and look for Lamont's blog now, thanks x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
From what I have read (Wikipedia ect) an oral GTT (OGTT). for at least some hours past your symptoms ? 3 to 4 hours.preferably blood sugar plus insulin but I think NHS rules may not allow insulin levels to be measures.
And thyroid function tests looking for under-active thyroid.
That is what I have read, see what your doctor says.
Not sure about Addison's . I have heard that if lying and standing BP is OK that is reassurance. See what doc says !
Best Wishes and luck !

lindisfel

Expert
For anyone with other metabolic diseases rather than T2D any modifications in diet should be by bite sized increments accompanied by the GP willingness for one to have more regular blood tests.
D.