raychoi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 34 male and only about 10 pounds overweight
My test reading from regular body check about 2 weeks ago
Ac1 4.8. No indiction of anamia
Blood sugar 12.3( but i messed it up by drinking a bottle of 300 ml of orange flavoured lucozade about 1.20 hour prior to the test) it gives hope my.condition is not that bad
New result from OGTT 5 days ago

Fasting Glucose 6.2
1 Hour Glucose 10.8
2 Hour Glucose 8.2

Impaired Glucose Tolerance

I wondering what is the chance reseversing this situation.
Moreover, my Fasting Glucose from last week is 12.3 but messed it up by having an oranged flavoured 300ml lucozade about 1hour prior to the test.
Should i trust the new report between there is still 1.5 differences between the 1 Hour Glucose and my last test from last week.
Another problem is that I am experienceing numbness in my legs and fingers and bubbles in my uriane ( the test result was negative for protein and glucose).
I am sorry for my poor English.
I am really confused and my doc seems to not take me seriously enough. Am I still in pre or type 2 or type 1.5?
Thank you very much

user_offline.gif

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Blood sugar 12.3( but i messed it up by drinking a bottle of 300 ml of orange flavoured lucozade about 1.20 hour prior to the test) it gives hope my.condition is not that bad

Fasting Glucose 6.2
1 Hour Glucose 10.8
2 Hour Glucose 8.2

Moreover, my Fasting Glucose from last week is 12.3 but messed it up by having an oranged flavoured 300ml lucozade about 1hour prior to the test.
Should i trust the new report between there is still 1.5 differences between the 1 Hour Glucose and my last test from last week.
Another problem is that I am experienceing numbness in my legs and fingers and bubbles in my uriane ( the test result was negative for protein and glucose).
I am really confused and my doc seems to not take me seriously enough. Am I still in pre or type 2 or type 1.5?
Thank you very much

user_offline.gif

Hi Raychoi,

This is a confusing time for you and there are a couple of things you can do to help yourself. You may be prediabetic and that can be kept in check as I'll explain below.

Firstly, I would strongly recommend you get yourself a meter to check your blood when you get up (before you eat or drink anything) and keep a record of that (it's easy to keep checking every morning and then get the monthly average). With a meter you can also check your blood sugar levels before a meal, and two hours after. There are guidelines (read the Newly diagnosed section) for more advice. You need to learn what you can eat without raising your blood sugar levels too high. The meter I would recommend is Codefree (from Amazon). There are others but the test strips are cheaper from Codefree and you will need a lot to understand what you can eat and what you can't.

Secondly, I would strongly advice you to cut out all those refined and starchy carbohydrates from your diet. Stop eating bread, potatoes, rice, pasta (and obviously anything with sugar like cakes, chocolate, biscuits, lucozade) and follow the low carb/high fat diet (there are lots of posts on this forum about this).

I did this when I first joined the forum and heard what others have experienced with this way of eating. By following it I reduced my average morning blood sugar from 6.22 to 5.28. The latter brings me back into the normal range.

Is it reversible? Who knows.. the opinions are divided. While my blood sugar levels are now in the normal range, I KNOW that if I were to go back to eat as before they would very quickly go back to prediabetic range.

good luck, and keep talking to us all. You'll learn a lot from this forum.

Gudrun

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you are classed as pre-diabetic with 6.2, 6.1-7.0 fasting is pre-diabetic , over 7 is diabetic. (In Australia we count from 5.5 - 6.9 as prediabetic)
the 8.2 2hr test is also non-diabetic as it is between 7.8 and 11. over 11 is diabetic

A

AnnieC

I don't think there is much to go on in those results as you say you messed them up having a Lucozade drink.
I am prediabetic and my BS levels are usually in the low 6's first thing in the morning then down to the 5's 2 hours after breakfast and mostly 6's to 5's 2 hours after other meals.
I have just cut out the starchy carbs like potatoes rice pasta root veg and all sugar stuff but would not say you should do that as it is not suitable for everyone it can depend on your personal circumstances ie if you have any other health problems or if you take any medications etc maybe check with your health practitioner...not all GP's agree with low carbing though so you would have to make your own mind up on it if yours is against it
I would say though do get a meter and check your levels before and after meals that will give you a general idea of your BS levels over the day

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fasting Glucose 6.2
1 Hour Glucose 10.8
2 Hour Glucose 8.2

Thank you very much

user_offline.gif

What was the motivation to drink Lucozade before your tests, if you knew you were having them?

raychoi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QthoughtOTE="AndBreathe, post: 556873, member: 88961"]What was the motivation to drink Lucozade before your tests, if you knew you were having them?[/QUOTE]
I tought i was normal at the first test and I did not enough attention

raychoi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your report. I feeling like my life is pretty hopeless with pred diabetes at my age. I can not eat the food i once enjoyed and my career is probably going downhill with the uncertainty of my health. I really cant tell my situation to my family. My doc even tell I probably get worse in a decades even with all the lifestyle change. Sorry for being so negative, but I cant help to keep all thoses negative thoughts in my mind

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people felt like you when first diagnosed, but it passes. There are plenty of pre-diabetics on this forum who have been pre-diabetic for many years without developing the full blown disease. It isn't a death sentence and can be controlled by the correct diet and additional exercise. Perhaps you could turn it round and look at it as being a good thing - your raised glucose levels have been caught early, giving you the best chance of controlling them and giving you a chance to find a new and healthier life style.

Your results are not at all bad. I think your first job is to buy a blood glucose meter and testing strips if you haven't already got one. This is an essential piece of equipment otherwise how are you to know which foods are good or bad for you personally. We are all different.

Then you need to look at your diet, including all food and drink that you have. Kill the Lucozade immediately. If you give us a typical day's menu we may be able to help you.

Reactions: 2 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Thanks for your report. I feeling like my life is pretty hopeless with pred diabetes at my age. I can not eat the food i once enjoyed and my career is probably going downhill with the uncertainty of my health. I really cant tell my situation to my family. My doc even tell I probably get worse in a decades even with all the lifestyle change. Sorry for being so negative, but I cant help to keep all thoses negative thoughts in my mind

At least one member on this forum reports to being prediabetic for the last 20 years - and still hasn't developed full blown diabetes.

At this stage (and I am prediabetic, too) our condition is a nuisance and inconvenience. We can no longer eat what we want to, but as Bluetit said above, at least we have been diagnosed early. If you think of the horrible problems that can arise if diabetes is not controlled (blindness, amputations) then we really have to be thankful that we didn't keep going as before until it was too late to do something about it.

Prediabetes can be held in check... at least for a (long) while.

You didn't say how old you are, but from your post I guess you may be in your 20s? Prediabetes should have no effect on the job you are doing now; you may just have to pass on the biscuits when they are offered. But that is a small price to pay for better health.

I would advise you also to tell your family. It will be much easier if you have their support and understanding. They can help you and if they know you have to avoid certain foods (sweet things, for example) they won't offer it to you, or eat it in front of you.

Please don't lose hope. Read the forum and learn from all those who have talked of their experience on how to cope.

raychoi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am an asian with a rice culture. It is really pain for me to limit rice and and other white flour

collectingrocks

White rice and flour are high GI meaning they turn to sugar very quickly in your digestive system.

Can you switch to brown rice (with low GI) which means it takes longer to digest and won't spike your blood sugar?

raychoi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another question? Should I push for tests to test my insulin level to find out whether I maybe 1.5 or not. It is so confusing since most docs don‘t take my situation serious enough. They all think this is not really a serious problem and offer typical advices. I am really angry that they think my numbness and lack energy are caused my anxity and lack of carb intake without any further tests to clarify.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't look for any more tests other than a GTT
everyone has a panic for the first month, take a breath and relax.
if you do nothing you have a 66% chance of never seeing diabetes
if you look after yourself you will probably never see it
http://exerciseismedicine.org/pdfs/D115preDiabetes.pdf
Several major studies
have shown that if people with
pre-diabetes lose weight, exercise
on a regular basis, and improve their
diets, most can avoid being diagnosed
with type 2 diabetes in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

raychoi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Several major studies
Thanks for encouragement!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hang around here, read and ask lots of questions, we are all on a learning curve.
basmati is the best rice but we are talking 1/2 a cup not 2 cups, above ground veg is going to be your filler and add calories from healthy fat/oil, coconut/olive ghee/butter lard/duck fat etc
and cut down all wheat flour grains, goodbye noodles big bowls, except for buckwheat or soy and gluten powder noodles are ok too, wheat/rice gluten powder is protein and low carb and will improve most of the non wheat flour recipes
https://ggiswheatfree.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/flour-comparison-chart-31.png

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another question? Should I push for tests to test my insulin level to find out whether I maybe 1.5 or not. It is so confusing since most docs don‘t take my situation serious enough. They all think this is not really a serious problem and offer typical advices. I am really angry that they think my numbness and lack energy are caused my anxity and lack of carb intake without any further tests to clarify.
See if you can have antibodies tested first. These are, I think, GAD and islet antibodies.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Several major studies
And why isn't it a good idea for a youngish person to check if it is LADA?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMO because it prediabetic and there are no symptoms of the pancreas packing up and needing insulin, if you get high sugar later then you would test for LADA if the oral meds didn't work properly

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMO because it prediabetic and there are no symptoms of the pancreas packing up and needing insulin, if you get high sugar later then you would test for LADA if the oral meds didn't work properly
If it was me I would want a correct diagnosis as soon as possible, instead of waiting and possibly trying meds that will have no positive effect whatsoever.

Even I had antibodies tested, and I am past fifty. No big deal. It seems to be routine when you don't fit the common picture of type two.

raychoi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
****. I am still experienceing some unusal feeling on feets and legs. Should I go test for neuropathy?