Need some advice.

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I'm trying to find the best way to manage my diabetes and I want to invest in a CGM.

A little background to my diabetes. I'm type 1 and I'm 30 yrs old. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and I use pre filled insulin pens.

I've been struggling with my diabetes for a while physically and mentally but I feel I'm at a good place with it now and I'm managing it alot better. I however like most i am struggling with the daily finger pricks and injecting everyday and wanted to find a way to make things easier in a way.

I've heard alot about the freestyle libre and the dexom. Can anyone tell me if they use any of these and how they are getting on?

This would be a great help

Reactions: Juicyj

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cupcake, I’ve had a Libra practically since diagnosis nearly a year ago and have found it invaluable.

I originally had it on prescription but it got took off and I have self funded since. Started with a libra 1 now moved on to the 2 which has useful alarms to catch highs & lows.

I think I would have had a much more difficult time if I was just finger pricking, the libra helped to see what my reaction to carbs was & make informed decisions about diet & dosage. I don’t have a lot of hypos because I catch them before they really start.

The libra does have limitations. It’s not always accurate & you still have to finger prick. I do it once a day and anytime I query a high or low reading. The libra also lags by 3-15 minutes, the lag times is supposed to be shorter with the libra 2.

I walk into a lot of door frames & catch it but it just hurts, I’ve never busted it. But Abbott will replace sensors if they’re faulty.

Since upgrading my phone I find things a lot easier to review data. Being able to look at time in range is really useful & it can predict your hba1c which I’ve found to be accurate.

Expense wise if you have a compatible phone it will be £100 a month if not it’s an extra £60 in start up costs.

Reactions: Cupcake29

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Cupcake29 I strongly recommend talking to your diabetes team about the Libre .
These are available on prescription for many people with Type 1 diabetes.
I find it a huge advantage being able to see what my blood sugars are doing all the time rather than just at the point I prick my finger and, with the alarms on the Libre 2, I am able to react before my blood sugar levels get too high or too low.
As @TashT1 says there are limitations and it does not completely take away the need to finger prick.

That said, the Libre (or any other CGM) is only useful if you know what to do with the data. It can be overwhelming at first and frustrating when you see highs or lows that you had been completely oblivious to in the past. And extra frustrating when you find out that the Libre is not as accurate as finger pricks so some of the highs and lows may be false.

I have also tried the DexCom (they had a free trial recently). It is supposed to be more accurate than the Libre but that was not my experience and I found the phone app incredibly limited compared to what I was used to. But with all things diabetes related, we are all different.

My last comment is regarding your pre-filled pens. If there is no reason for the pre-filled versions, I would encourage you to change your prescription to reusable pens. The cartridges take up far less space in your fridge, the pens are far more robust, there are versions that allow you to dose 0.5 units and they are better on the environment with less waste.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been on insulin now for at least 5 years and have been struggling recently so started using a self-funded Libre 2 last weekend. It's amazing so far. I no longer correct based on a finger-prick test and can now see looking at the graph that these can be at a peak or trough and you don't know the context. I've already used the Libre 2 Low alarm which use Bluetooth with my mobile phone. The Dexcom G6 is more expensive and thicker but does transmit continuous readings. The Libre 2 collects readings every 15 minutes and you have to scan to download them. Some people have problems with the adhesive on both CGMs. I haven't reacted so far but I've read that the G6 has more adhesive problems than Libre 2. There is a special offer currently on the Libre 2 where you can get the first sensor free so you can try it for free for 2 weeks and use a (modern) smart phone.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are in the UK do talk to your team about getting the libre. I think they budget for about 20% pf their clientele getting them and usually consultants are very much in favour because they case see how much better they are for their patients. There may be a few hoops to jump through but please stand your ground.
I think all type 1 s deserve to have the best tech available given the difficulty of the task we have to keep our blood glucose 'in range'.
I am currently investigating Dexcom via the many YouTube reviews of it because I have just got a t slim basal iq pump that works by talking to the Dexcom sensor and adjusting insulin up and down accordingly i.e. it will anticipate the trend from the readings. Hearing great things about this system from actual users so I am hopeful as the tech does seem to be getting a lot better and its useful being able to quickly check your blood sugar. No more fumbling for strips in the cold//wet whilst panicking that you might be going low etc. etc.
The Dexcom measures every minute and is continuous whereas you need to measure during 8 hour period fwith the fsl in order to get a trend line but tbh I'd be happy with either its just that the Dexcom works with the tslim basal iq.
I don't have any problems with it falling off my arm though I know this is an issue for some of my friends!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Cupcake29 Sorry to hear you've been struggling, I think it's safe to say many of us struggle too despite the wonders of new technology. In regards to keeping good mental health with diabetes I think it's good to talk to others about how your feeling, having an outlet which distracts you from thinking about it, like a hobby, keeping good control and being resilient such as for when things aren't going right.

Using a system you like for monitoring control is good as long as you don't get obsessed with the figures, personally I use the Dexcom G6 as it's great for exercise, alerts when going high/low and monitoring my time in range. You can calibrate it but I generally don't need to, as with all CGM's they do lag behind real time and i've not had any issues with the adhesive on these, they last 10 days, a subscription is £159 a month and you can use the Clarity app alongside it to watch for patterns and tighten control, they are running a free trial which is worth signing up for just to try, but as others have said speak to your team about getting access to the Libre. Any CGM is worth their weight these days though just for the sheer ease of being able to monitor your levels.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi all. I'm trying to find the best way to manage my diabetes and I want to invest in a CGM.

A little background to my diabetes. I'm type 1 and I'm 30 yrs old. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and I use pre filled insulin pens.

I've been struggling with my diabetes for a while physically and mentally but I feel I'm at a good place with it now and I'm managing it alot better. I however like most i am struggling with the daily finger pricks and injecting everyday and wanted to find a way to make things easier in a way.

I've heard alot about the freestyle libre and the dexom. Can anyone tell me if they use any of these and how they are getting on?

This would be a great help

Ive used/use both

Dexcom is more accurate but costs 50% more if you are paying for it but it is a true cgm.. ie it send constant readings to you phone

the libre i have found is a little less accurate BUT more than accurate enough for what most people need..

The Libre is also available for some on prescription.. as you are T1 you meet the main criteria.. the second is that you don't have good control and could improve with the libre.. which it sound like you match this..

your care team would want you to sign a contract that you will use it properly and improve control.. if you don't in 6 months they will withdraw it.

if true CGM appeals there are add ons you can get like: bubble/miaomiao that attach and send the reading every 5 minutes to you phone.. these cost about £100 but if you are saving the cost by having it prescribed then its easy to justify.. still a little more clumsy than the dexcom but it works and will provide valuable info

The dexcom is £159 a month if you commit to 12 months the libre is about £98 a month

but before committing i would certainly contact your care team

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive used/use both

Dexcom is more accurate but costs 50% more if you are paying for it but it is a true cgm.. ie it send constant readings to you phone

the libre i have found is a little less accurate BUT more than accurate enough for what most people need..

The Libre is also available for some on prescription.. as you are T1 you meet the main criteria.. the second is that you don't have good control and could improve with the libre.. which it sound like you match this..

your care team would want you to sign a contract that you will use it properly and improve control.. if you don't in 6 months they will withdraw it.

if true CGM appeals there are add ons you can get like: bubble/miaomiao that attach and send the reading every 5 minutes to you phone.. these cost about £100 but if you are saving the cost by having it prescribed then its easy to justify.. still a little more clumsy than the dexcom but it works and will provide valuable info

The dexcom is £159 a month if you commit to 12 months the libre is about £98 a month

but before committing i would certainly contact your care team
Thankyou. This has been helpful.

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cupcake29 Sorry to hear you've been struggling, I think it's safe to say many of us struggle too despite the wonders of new technology. In regards to keeping good mental health with diabetes I think it's good to talk to others about how your feeling, having an outlet which distracts you from thinking about it, like a hobby, keeping good control and being resilient such as for when things aren't going right.

Using a system you like for monitoring control is good as long as you don't get obsessed with the figures, personally I use the Dexcom G6 as it's great for exercise, alerts when going high/low and monitoring my time in range. You can calibrate it but I generally don't need to, as with all CGM's they do lag behind real time and i've not had any issues with the adhesive on these, they last 10 days, a subscription is £159 a month and you can use the Clarity app alongside it to watch for patterns and tighten control, they are running a free trial which is worth signing up for just to try, but as others have said speak to your team about getting access to the Libre. Any CGM is worth their weight these days though just for the sheer ease of being able to monitor your levels.
I will definitely talk to my team about this. Its something I definitely need to look into more but everything you have said has been helpful. Thankyou