Need Some help Urgently!

Irene_007

Hi!
My mom is over to visit and she had diabetes type 2. I checked her blood glucose level after dinner on wednesday and it was 14.5 before dinner. I checked it again today (friday) before breakfast ( iguess thats called fasting) and it was 13 and as far as i know during fasting the level should be less than 7 am nt sure. But i got really i called NHS direct after lunch and they asked me to check it again and it was 19.9 and thats really high. I dont know how to bring it down she came from abroad so she isnt and cant be registered here with a surgery. Could someone help me out and advise me of wht she should eat and wt the levels should be?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Temporary Residents
If you are away from home and in need of urgent medical attention please contact the nearest doctor - ask the people you are staying with, who they are registered with - you will be seen as a temporary resident. Equally if you have friends or relatives staying with you, we will be happy to see them as temporary residents, but there may be a charge if they are from a country where there is no reciprocal healthcare arrangement. Ask reception for details

This is from my own Gp Practice. There is no reason that your mother cannot be seen at your local GP Practice. Seek advice there.

Ken.

lilibet

Irene

Is she on medication? If so, it might need looking at
In the short term she might need to significantly change her diet and avoid starchy and sweet things- cakes, bread, pasta, chips etc and this will help a bit

In the longer term she needs to see someone about whether her current regime is working - whether it be diet or exercise, meds etc

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if she is able,go for a walk,that will help to bring it down quickly as she will burn off some of the sugar

Irene_007

Thanks ! In ended up calling a doc back home and he just increased her medication. It came came down to 10.3 when i checked it on fasting. But i dont know wt to give to eat coz everything has carbs in it even fruit. Could some1 help me out with wt food part and how many carbs are good for a diabetic patient to have per day. Unfortunately the surgery wont take her up as a temp patient and the appointment they were giving was like a month away ): And she has started walking so hopefully when i check her glusoce level again it will be lower than 7. Just one more question how many times a week should a person check their blood glucose level and should they check only fasting or random as well?