Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Julie1471 said:
Hi izzzi &Anna,

Fingers x it will be fine, just 2 days to get the results, which isn't that bad :D . Gary went back to work today, but he packed his lunch, before I left to goto work, I only do a few hours a day, it fits in with kids school hours and term times as I deliver school meals, from one school to another. And I get paid for sitting around for 35mins between pick up's so it also gives me a chance to call Gaz to check if he's ok.

But today he didn't check his sugars as he forgot to take a meter with him :( . But he's taking one with him tomorrow as he doesn't finish till 1 Sunday morning(fun, not), but I'll wait up for him.

Thanks Anna, for doing that.

No probs - am here to help :)

Julie, you and your Gaz sound a 'great' team together :thumbup:
You are looking after him so well and he is battling on with things regardlessly.
All you can do is continue to keep a close eye on him and his BG levels .

You are both handleing things so great , despite not knowing quite how/what things are causing all of this yet .
Soon things will be explained to you both and you can both move forward with a correct care plan 'if needed' positively ...

Till then please just ask anything you feel/need/wish to .
We are here to help and support you 'both' .

Anna.

taffy_63

I have just seen your post and the comment about chocolate lowering blood sugars. I always ate chocolate when I was hypo because I felt that if I was going hypo I might as well enjoy it! However, when I did my carb counting course the SDNs and dietitian warned me against using chocolate as the fats in it can delay the absorption of sugar and hence my recovery. I now follow the 10 : 10 : 4 rule - 10 grams of fast acting carbs (3 jelly babies or 3 glucose tablets or 2 teaspoons of glucose dissolved in water); wait 10 minutes and test again. If bloods are still below 4mmol/l take another 10 g of fast acting carbs, wait 10 minutes and test again. Repeat this procedure until your blood sugar reaches 4 mmol/l and then take 10 grams of slow acting carbs without insulin. This always works for me and avoids the seesaw effect of low blood sugars followed by high blood sugars. I do miss the chocolate, but jelly babies aren't so bad!! Hope things are sorted out soon.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Thanks Anna, we are trying, the kids are now asking dad, quite a few times a day, if he's feeling ok, makes a change from them asking me :D .

Taffy, I'm still waiting to do my Katie course, July last year I got told by new consultant, that their wasn't much of a waiting list, went back to consult in Jan, who then comes out with, their is now quite a waiting list and I'm still waiting, for a date :roll: .

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Got Gary's blood's back today and have been told by the results person, that they are normal, but earlier today, he came in from work with a blood sugar of 4.1. So we still have no idea what's causing it. Think maybe another trip back to the Dr's might be in order. As something is going on, it's just what :crazy:

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Gary's bloods still in the 4's what range should they be in to safely drive???

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over 5 to drive I'm afraid! Or at least that's what the DVLA form says

Finzi

hale710 said:
Over 5 to drive I'm afraid! Or at least that's what the DVLA form says

I may be wrong, but I think that Gary is *not* a diagnosed diabetic and is not on any treatment (eg gliclazide, insulin). Therefore I'd be fairly sure that the Dvla rules wouldn't apply - they are for diabetics. Generally you would have no reason to know what your blood sugar was if you were not diabetic, and remember that normal glucose levels are between 3.5 and 5.5. Therefore his levels of four are, technically, entirely normal. As to whether it would be wise to drive if he is feeling unwell and hypo-ish (as I gather that he is) that is a different matter. Only he can decide whether he is ok to drive, but I would have thought it would at least be a sensible precaution to have a high sugar snack in the car and not to drive if feeling unwell.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Finzi, he's not, it's because I have a spare machine, that's he's able to test (me being type 1), so we've been able to check :D . 5.00 is the level to drive on but he has not been diagnosed as anything according to the clerk all bloods normal, so no hb1ac level given, so couldn't check his level :( .But if he's stopped at the mo we can say we didn't know, but no one seems to know. Calling telephone consults to see where we go, we were told it could be a tumor on his adrenal land just gotta find out what tests were done :(

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry Finzi, he checks and sorts before driving, since starting this. And it does not relate to his shift pattern(up at 3.45 am :( and a late start from 5pm) no matter what his shifts still the same results.I feel lost, but not letting Gaz know sending of with loads of glucose tabs food and chocs for hypo.

Finzi

5-7 is "normal" range for diabetics. Everything is geared towards avoiding hypos in insulin using type 1 diabetics and for a type 1 to be under 5 might mean they are heading for a hypo and be of concern. Non diabetics don't usually have a reason to take their blood sugar, but in fact if it is taken, it is very frequently under 5, with hypo symptoms starting at around 3.5 (these being quite rare, and usually involving either excessive alcohol, accidental or deliberate insulin use, or a condition causing the body to suddenly produce too much insulin). In a way, the actual figure in Gary's case is moot, because he is feeling unwell at 4.1 and therefore should probably not be driving.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finzi said:
I may be wrong, but I think that Gary is *not* a diagnosed diabetic and is not on any treatment (eg gliclazide, insulin). Therefore I'd be fairly sure that the Dvla rules wouldn't apply - they are for diabetics. Generally you would have no reason to know what your blood sugar was if you were not diabetic, and remember that normal glucose levels are between 3.5 and 5.5. Therefore his levels of four are, technically, entirely normal. As to whether it would be wise to drive if he is feeling unwell and hypo-ish (as I gather that he is) that is a different matter. Only he can decide whether he is ok to drive, but I would have thought it would at least be a sensible precaution to have a high sugar snack in the car and not to drive if feeling unwell.

I agree, though not a diagnosed diabetic he HAS been showing signs of a hypo. It would be irresponsible to get in a car and drive if he's in that range as he puts himself and other road users at risk. I understand the frustrations with that as I'm a new T1 and have already had issues getting to and from work due to BG levels. But it's for everyone's safety.

That is very scary about the possible tumour. Sounds like you're staying strong for Gary though! He'll appreciate that and hopefully they get to the bottom of it soon!

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Finzi & hale710, he won't and doesn't drive if his bloods are below, Gary sorts the sugars out first, to much living with me has shown him what to do, thank god. But the GP, has not given us any idea of what's been going on or what's causing this, the emergency Dr's said their is a possibility of a tumour on his adrenal gland. That's why Gary is doing a telephone consultation this morning, to say it's still going on and what do we do now as their is something causing this, but what that is we have no idea. Another problem is the GP that he saw at his surgery told him he was fit for work and to drive, which when I heard that, I said the GP was wrong and told him to run higher for driving.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good, he's really lucky that you know what your doing and are able to set him on the right path while they find out what is causing it!