Need some help.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Candiloo, I've found that the more carbs you eat, the more problems you have with wind with metformin. I cut out wheat and resolved most of my tummy issues too.

Fraddycat

Hi Mrs Portion, I agree with Denise, Metformin does not make me fart, and I would not want to take extra tablets (I already take quite a lot!) so if you can cut back on your carbs especially fruit then Metformin is not too toxic. I have found that it can make my stomach upset if I don't take it with food, so would recommend taking it with food if you can.

You asked earlier if you will be able to reduce/stop taking metformin in the future. Well I would say if you can really improve your numbers you might be able to reduce your dose but as far as I understand it Metformin has heart protecting qualities so you may not want to stop it completely.

Diagnosis is a complete head mess, but we have all been through it and can totally identify with how you are feeling. Good luck!

mrsportion

Thanks everyone. Feel so down today. Just have not known what to eat this weekend! Made a shopping list but just don't feel like going. I just don't know what to eat. I am jonny, smelly fartpants on these tablets. I was going to stock up on fruit today but not sure whether to now from reading your post. I have raging thrush an have had 4 lots treatment and still not gone. I usually have brown bread sandwich for lunch so don't know what to have today. Can't face salad as its snowing here. I am just feeling sorry for myself today xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lady P

Sketcher said:
Hello MrsPortion

It's a pity that you've got one of "those" GPs that won't provide test strips. You can't possibly adjust your diet to suit your particular needs without testing before you eat and then 2 hours later. I'm sure you'll find it empowering to be able to test your BG and see the effects that different foods have on you. No-one can tell you how many grams of carbs to eat - you need to come to your own conclusions, based on testing. The pharmaceutical companies will provide meters free of charge if you ask (try the web sites of Bayer and Accu-Chek; if there is no obvious offer, try telephoning); but you'll have to buy your own test strips - if you insist, as a diabetic on medication, you'll get them VAT-free, but they are still expensive. Quite a few people on this forum use the CodeFree meter from Amazon; it's inexpensive and the strips are cheap, but many report that it reads 1 unit higher than other meters - not a problem if you allow for it.

Once you know how different foods affect you, you won't need to test so often. The test that your GP does, based on a syringe-taken blood sample (rather than a finger-prick) is the HbA1c, which effectively provides an average view of your BG levels over the previous 3 months - this is very useful, but can't tell you whether a slice of wholemeal toast will give you a BG spike. You're about to start a really fascinating journey and we on the forum will do our best to help you along the way.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I disagree that metformin plus carbs causes problems as I eat carbs with every meal and up till last month have taken the full dosage of metformin and have had no problems apart from mild stomach cramps and bad wind for the first 2 or 3 months, after that it just disappeared and I have suffered no more problems regardless of diet.

There is nothing in Metformin that can react with carbs or any other food group it just doesn't work that way, it reduces the amount of glucose released by the liver, it limits the amount of glucose absorbed into the body and makes insulin receptors more sensitive helping the body respond better to its own insulin. And even the maximum dose can only help reduce bg levels by 1 or 2 mmol/L.

Side effects of Metformin therefore will not increase in line with carb consumption. Its just another low carb myth IMO.

mrsportion

Thank you everyone.

I have a bad chest and throat today and would normally have some fresh pineapple and a spoonful of Manuka honey. Are these both a NO NO? Sorry to keep pestering but not even seen dietician yet so not sure what's what [FLUSHED FACE]

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mrsportion said:
Thank you everyone.

I have a bad chest and throat today and would normally have some fresh pineapple and a spoonful of Manuka honey. Are these both a NO NO? Sorry to keep pestering but not even seen dietician yet so not sure what's what [FLUSHED FACE]

Differing opinions on honey I'm afraid.
One local provider near me claims it stabalises blood sugar.
Manuka however, in my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Be careful though!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Google low carb diet, basically its back to how we used to eat pre prepackaged meals. Eggs and bacon for brekkie or omlettes. Soups are great to make and freeze well.
As for the dietician they may well tell you to eat starchy carbs with every meal. I don't, I find most carbs cause me to have high blood sugars, I get my carbs from veg. I fry in butter and add it to my veggies. I eat avocados etc. The fruit advised is berries - strawberries, rasbberries, blueberries. Bananas are a no no they contain most starch.
It's all very confusing in the beginning. I've just re-read some of the advise and as a newbie to diabetes it can get confusing when some peeps on here have sorted their diet out.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
mrsportion said:
If I lose weight, I am only 2.5 stone overweight, would I ever be allowed off meds? Chemist says no so I am concerned about that x

Hi Mrs Portion and welcome to the forum, a large part of T2 diabetes is insulin resistance, when glucose builds up in the blood stream it triggers the release of insulin which acts like a key that unlocks the body's glucose receptor cells so that this glucose can be absorbed into the cells and used by the body as energy. Insulin resistance hinders this process so excess glucose builds up in the blood stream.

Losing weight can reduce insulin resistance and once insulin resistance is reduced so can the need for medication.

Of course this is an oversimplification and there are other factors involved but a combination of a diet of reduced carbohydrates and losing weight can in many cases reduce the need for medication and IMHO is the best way for any overweight T2 to help control diabetes.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago and put on the max dose of metformin and 4 injections of insulin a day, after losing 4 stones I was able to come off insulin after a year and since losing a further stone over the last 3 years I have recently reduced my metformin by half and have ever intention of reducing it further in the future.

So I am delighted to inform you that your chemist is wrong.

It takes hard work but if you can lose weight and more importantly sustain that weight loss it can be done providing that you are still producing enough of your own insulin it is definitely possible to reduce or even come off medication completely :thumbup: :thumbup:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers.
I was in Holland and Barrett this morning, getting pro biotics for the missus like you do and ( bear with me it's relevant!) the assistant and me got talking about diabetes.
She said had i heard that she'd been informed that if you are knowingly diagnosed type 2 within 10 years its reversible.
Have you heard this?
Nice of its true, but had to dash for the parking meter and me mackerel to a fridge!
Good luck to you too miss:smile: You can significantly improve and hopefully you will.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reversible as in well controlled yes, reversible as in cured no.

If you start out as I did with an Hba1c of 12.6% and bg level of 29 mmol/L (or there abouts) and for the next four years you reduce your medication and get recorded HbA1c's in the 5%'s you are well controlled_________not unfortunately cured.

Still I am happy to be well controlled and long may it last.

I used to be very anal about my diet and dare I admit it "I was a diabetes bore" and many of my friends told me I was obsessed with my diet!! :oops:

But now 4 years down the road diabetes hardly impacts on my life at all and I am happy with my new healthier lifestyle and if I can keep the weight off, and I have every intention of doing so if I am able, I see no reason why my control should not continue.

In short I am glad I made the effort I did in the early stages and I have no problem admitting that I was motivated by fear :D