Need to lose 80kg, starting tomorrow!

debzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
Hope everybody is well and coping with the weather. I went for my regular weigh in yesterday and I have now lost 1 1/2 stone so I am feeling quite pleased with myself. I havnt lost as much this time because my sugar levels have been all over the place partly because of the heat and partly because ive not been eating enough to compensate for the insulin I have been taking. They have said I should know that because I was diagnosed 40 years ago but with the heat and being busy you dont always think.
I have found a swimming bath that can allow me to go in the water with my disabilities so im hoping to losse a bit more weight when I go back in a month.
Good luck with your own weight losses.
Debzy x

karenmc2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Ignorant and rude people
Hi I wish u all the very best with your weight loss I weigh 20 stone I put 4 on when I had a fall at work I am now disabled I was diag type 2 I am on metformin, gliclazide, victoza and suffer depression I get angry with myself then eat the wrong things its like a viscious circle I look forward to hear how u get on all the best x

damonfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi cass! Good luck with it - looks like you are doing really well - and thank you because u have just inspired me to go back to low carbing - I did it a few months ago and lost 9lb but drifted back to bread and potatoes etc when I started work - haven't weighed myself but I know some has gone back on!!! I am you going to get back on to it!!! Good luck to everyone on this thread who is trying to lose weight! Xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Good luck with the weight loss, you can do it the first few days are the worse but if you can get through that your half way there. I joined weight watchers nearly 2 years ago and lost 2 stone and since losing that weight i felt a lot better in myself, i just make sure now if my weight goes up by 5lb i do a week or 2 of weight watchers from home and it comes off.

tracey167

Nami

Hello and goodluck on your goals! That is quite a massive one! Seriously, 80 kilo's aren't going to burn off in a week, honestly - don't even think it'll burn out in a few years!

Goodluck on your huge milestone! :)

Choleslo

My suggestion is that burn more calories and eat healthy, to lose weight proper diet is must and drink more water. All the best

Zachary

Hi Cassandra,
Good luck with our weight loss goals and like to say set realistic goals and keep your workout and food journal to measure your progress. Break meals in small frequent meals and prefer raw food over processed food. Workout regularly to manage stress, burn fat, improve metabolic system and lose weight. Do not eat late and have proper sleep every day.

Last edited by a moderator:

bensug

Good luck - the diet change and the weight loss will have a tremendous impact.

Just a quick note on my own experience. Firstly the low carb diet is in my opinion the biggest thing you can do for your diabetes - it has taken a little getting used to but three years on I would not want to switch back to my old way of eating. I honestly dont know how anyone can effectively manage their blood sugars without going on a low carb diet.

Secondly on the weight loss. Everyone is different of course, but after finally conquering my weight issues (lost 50lbs) I realised that two things hamper weight loss.

1. Fooling yourself and lack of awareness of how much you are eating. Only by actually counting the amount of calories you put in yourself every day can you keep control of your diet - those of us with a weight problem are too good at fooling ourselves and its too easy to say "i ate a salad so that means i am doing really well", when actually the extra cheese and mayo they put on the salad means they had a big meal! This gets very discouraging as you feel like you are trying really hard and eating healthily but you dont seem to lose weight.
2. Trying too hard! Seriously most people cut their calories so quickly that they experience great pain and hardship - all that does is reinforce the belief that dieting is painful, and people come off the wagon and pile on the weight again. Your body reacts badly to sudden calorie reduction and basically screams at you to eat!

So if you want to lose the weight I would suggest the following.

STEP 1: Just get used to counting the calories you eat every day. Don't try to lose weight at all. This disciple by itself is a new skill to learn and takes time. However once you start to do this you will probably notice you begin to eat less naturally because you are becoming more AWARE of how much you are eating.

STEP2: Notice how much you are eating on a daily basis, and start to reduce the amount but a small amount, say 50 calories each day. You will only sightly notice this, but over a week you will be reducing the amount you are eating by 350 calories a day. Your stomach will start to shrink and your body will start to adjust to the new diet - you will feel slightly peckish occasionaly, but not STARVING. Keep reducing the daily calories until just before you start to feel its difficult, then keep at the same calories for another week for your body to adjust further. Then try to cut again by a small amount each day. Repeat the process and you will find you will lose a significant amount of weight, and in a month or two you will eating an amount of food that will lead to sustained weight loss.

STEP3: If you have a bad day or week don't despair - its normal, in fact its inevitable , so you should expect it but it wont mean you have failed. Don't view it as the end of your diet, but as a break from it. And try to keep track of your calories even when you are going off the wagon. Then when you are ready to continue the diet the key is don't try to cut straight back down to your baseline calorie intake. Repeat step 2 again and you will find within a week or so you are back down to this level. The whole approach is to reduce strain on your body and mind, and make weight loss natural and easy rather than painful.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Bensug's advice is good. However as Bensug says you need to count carbs rather than calories.
I used to do all that calorie counting stuff and it never worked as I continued to consume too many carbs.
However, now I limit my carbs 60-80g a day, the weight has dropped off and I don't bother looking at the calories as I just can't seem to gain weight. :)
Mind you, there has been the odd week where I have consumed too many carbs (eg holidays) and then the weight does start to go back on.