Need to lose weight...desperately

Glyko

I have been experimenting with weightloss plans but nothing seems to work.

I try to eat twice: fullfat youghurt, berries and coconut flakes
And
Chicken stew, cabbage and olive oil.

Shouldn't I be losing weight? I average around 1000-1200 kcal.

I'm type 2, no medication yet (but might, checkup soon).

Also, is vegan protein a good way to increase protein intake? Is there better suggestions?

Please help me...!

Reactions: clare56

mouseee

Personally, I find meat easier as its already high protein. Things like pulses are protein but also carbs.

Are you actually eating enough? 1000 a day is probably not sustainable and from my days at slimming world - no longer there as its carb based - too few calories and your body might decide to hold onto fat for a while as it might need it in an emergency.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 2 meals a day is a good plan for starters.
I wouldn't consider the vegan route personally as a diabetic, it rules out meat, fish, eggs, cheese which are all low/zero carb.
When you drop your calorie intake rapidly your body can go into a starvation protection mode, normally takes a week for it then to relinquish it's fat stores so keep going.

Reactions: mariavontrapp

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Glyko when you ask about vegan protein, are you saying you eat a totally vegan diet or are you asking as an occasional alternative to meat, cheese, etc.
I do not eat meat but eat a varied diet including fish, dairy, eggs and vegan protein. If you are trying to follow a low carb diet, keep an eye on the carbs in the vegan options but apart from that I see no reason to eat it as an alternative to meat every day.

Glyko

Thanks for the replies!

I meant vegan protein powder, sorry.
Such as pea protein, oat protein etc.

Ok so I might need to eat more?
I'll adjust and see what happens

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a quick look online at the nutritional data of some vegan protein powders suggests they are pretty high carb, and look like a bad idea for T2's. I see above that you eat chicken, so I would suggest going for fish or eggs if you want to increase your protein.
Maybe berries and yogurt could be replaced by something more filling like eggs for brekkie.

Glyko

Just a quick look online at the nutritional data of some vegan protein powders suggests they are pretty high carb, and look like a bad idea for T2's. I see above that you eat chicken, so I would suggest going for fish or eggs if you want to increase your protein.
Maybe berries and yogurt could be replaced by something more filling like eggs for brekkie.

I always check the carb content of protein powder, to be on the safe side.

Eggs? I have gallstones and Dr told me to avoid eggs...hm. But perhaps two eggs a day is fine, as long as I don't overdo it.

I just don't know how to lose the weight. I'm 30 kg overweight. Maybe I should do the 5:2?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Glyko, I think the 5:2 is a great idea.

I had a giggle at your doc telling you to avoid eggs, btw ,for your gallstones. I eat a bucket-load of eggs (and see my last entry on ACV somewhere in here, on how I dealt with my golf ball in my gall bladder). Something many folks don't know is gallstones come from under-using your gall bladder - it is empty, and stones form, and cause problems in the event you do eat fat again, as we all do, that fills the gallbladder and the stones rub around on the duct. They don't come from using it. You are supposed to use it!That's what is there for. The worst thing you can do, actually, is do a low-fat low-cholesterol diet. (I am not pulling this out of my dizzy head - had a great consult with a gallbladder surgeon about this stuff.)

And, Most medical professionals know as much about nutrition as anyone else in the community, is my experience. Don't listen to them when it comes to diet unless you think they say sensible things about food and drink backed u0 by evidence, and not Ancel Keys' dodgey study. The role of healthy fats in the diet is one of the biggest contemporary balls-ups in medical history. And many of us with T2D are here to tell the tale. (And without their gall bladders to boot!)

Anyhow - desperate weight loss. If you really are desperate, then there is nothing like not eating for periods of time to lose weight. And the 5:2 is a good way to do that. Your body may respond very favourably to that gentle entre to the intermittent fasting world. But it's not just about loss, it's about maintenance, and the 5:2 is great for that too. Any overhauling of your diet is the key to maintenance, and how you do that, lowering your carbs-wise, is a matter of your personal taste. The 5:2 uses the mediterranean diet which is the darling of the medical community as well, which is a handy thing.

If you use the 80/20 % stat, which I think is very reasonable - 80% of the weight loss will be about what you are eating and drinking (and NOT eating and drinking) and 20% will be about physical activity and exercise. So if you are desperately wanting to lose weight - up your physical activity, but be aware of it accounting for about 20% of your weight loss - but a whole lot more for your cardio vascular heath - yay! The rest will be overhauling what you eat and drink.

Glyko

Hi @Glyko, I think the 5:2 is a great idea.

I had a giggle at your doc telling you to avoid eggs, btw ,for your gallstones. I eat a bucket-load of eggs (and see my last entry on ACV somewhere in here, on how I dealt with my golf ball in my gall bladder). Something many folks don't know is gallstones come from under-using your gall bladder - it is empty, and stones form, and cause problems in the event you do eat fat again, as we all do, that fills the gallbladder and the stones rub around on the duct. They don't come from using it. You are supposed to use it!That's what is there for. The worst thing you can do, actually, is do a low-fat low-cholesterol diet. (I am not pulling this out of my dizzy head - had a great consult with a gallbladder surgeon about this stuff.)

And, Most medical professionals know as much about nutrition as anyone else in the community, is my experience. Don't listen to them when it comes to diet unless you think they say sensible things about food and drink backed u0 by evidence, and not Ancel Keys' dodgey study. The role of healthy fats in the diet is one of the biggest contemporary balls-ups in medical history. And many of us with T2D are here to tell the tale. (And without their gall bladders to boot!)

Anyhow - desperate weight loss. If you really are desperate, then there is nothing like not eating for periods of time to lose weight. And the 5:2 is a good way to do that. Your body may respond very favourably to that gentle entre to the intermittent fasting world. But it's not just about loss, it's about maintenance, and the 5:2 is great for that too. Any overhauling of your diet is the key to maintenance, and how you do that, lowering your carbs-wise, is a matter of your personal taste. The 5:2 uses the mediterranean diet which is the darling of the medical community as well, which is a handy thing.

If you use the 80/20 % stat, which I think is very reasonable - 80% of the weight loss will be about what you are eating and drinking (and NOT eating and drinking) and 20% will be about physical activity and exercise. So if you are desperately wanting to lose weight - up your physical activity, but be aware of it accounting for about 20% of your weight loss - but a whole lot more for your cardio vascular heath - yay! The rest will be overhauling what you eat and drink.
Thanks for the lengthy reply. Appreciate it.

I eat low carb and so far I havent't lost weight. Thanks for the info on gallstones!

I have depression and have a hard time to do excercise unfortunately so I need diet based intervention...

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again @Glyko. How low is your low carb? Usually, when you have some energy stored as body fat, when you lower the amount of sugary and carby food, the fat will 'come off' and you will lose weight.

I'm trying to think about what it is that could be causing you not to lose weight. With my overweight, but not diabetic friends who have tried low-carbing and it has not worked well for them, it is (from my pov at least) because the shock to their systems with carby food and sugar withdrawal was too dramatic and made them feel really bad. And, they did not take on the healthy fats side of the low-carbing argument, and felt pretty bad because they weren't eating enough healthy fat. When you have been told your whole adult life that butter, coconut oil, nut fats and so on are really bad for you it can be hard I think to up them to a level that feels comfortable. It can take time at any rate. These friends simply stopped low-carbing and went back to their old patten of eating.

If you want more help, could I suggest the Atkins plan? I love their charts and symbols and great carb counts, and I think it is a great way to get into low to moderate carbing. And the Atkins diet method is out there with the protein thing, and you said you would like more direction with protein.

I don't know enough about the low-carb plan in this website - but I assume it is really good, or are you doing that already?

I see that you are not just low-carbing, but also low-cal eating. That's a tough call to do simultaneously I would have thought, unless that fits well in your life at the moment?

Did you ask about vegan sources of protein because you are a vegan, or is it something you want to try along with the low-carbing and the low-caling?

Glyko

Hi again @Glyko. How low is your low carb? Usually, when you have some energy stored as body fat, when you lower the amount of sugary and carby food, the fat will 'come off' and you will lose weight.

I'm trying to think about what it is that could be causing you not to lose weight. With my overweight, but not diabetic friends who have tried low-carbing and it has not worked well for them, it is (from my pov at least) because the shock to their systems with carby food and sugar withdrawal was too dramatic and made them feel really bad. And, they did not take on the healthy fats side of the low-carbing argument, and felt pretty bad because they weren't eating enough healthy fat. When you have been told your whole adult life that butter, coconut oil, nut fats and so on are really bad for you it can be hard I think to up them to a level that feels comfortable. It can take time at any rate. These friends simply stopped low-carbing and went back to their old patten of eating.

If you want more help, could I suggest the Atkins plan? I love their charts and symbols and great carb counts, and I think it is a great way to get into low to moderate carbing. And the Atkins diet method is out there with the protein thing, and you said you would like more direction with protein.

I don't know enough about the low-carb plan in this website - but I assume it is really good, or are you doing that already?

I see that you are not just low-carbing, but also low-cal eating. That's a tough call to do simultaneously I would have thought, unless that fits well in your life at the moment?

Did you ask about vegan sources of protein because you are a vegan, or is it something you want to try along with the low-carbing and the low-caling?

Hi,

I was just asking for vegan protein powders because whey seems to make me bloated. Whether whey or vegan protein powder, both seem to elevate my bloodsugars. So maybe eggs or other foods are better source.

I will look into Atkins. In fact, I wanted VLCD Atkins style, but products are not available in Sweden. But Atkins with normal food might be best.
I have been quite liberal with my carb count, eating vegetables and dairy products, maybe 50-70 g. But I still feel I have been eating around 1200 cals on average and not lost weight unfortunately.
I have been a little successful before doing OMAD, but it was hard to keep up.

I guess there is no quick fix. I consulted a dietician but she offered a powder based VLCD for weight loss. I tested but my sugars went up... so now I don't know what route to take, I'm a bit confused. I tried Huel, and it seemed ok, but my skin started itching. Hm...

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What products are required to do Atkins? The emphasis is on fresh veges, and healthy meat, fish, eggs, cheese yoghurt - nothing artificial.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hejsan @Glyko! I did a VLCD in Sweden, with real food. It's a bore counting the calories, tracking your intake and so on, weighing food and stuff, but it can also be quite soothing/meditative to focus on that whilst going hungry.

you absolutely don't need to do shakes and so on. The point is subsistence level intake - not how you do it.

I was monitored by an excellent practice nurse. I began my VLCD with 800 calories, for one month, but she suggested that I go up to 1000 calories to deal with a long cold dark Swedish winter. for the second month. (It was a January and February 2 months.)

I thought you were a man (your avatar has a male outline) but I see from your profile you are in fact a mid-30s woman? If you are wanting to go VLCD then 1200 cals a day is probably too much - it is in essence a starvation diet, and that is not starving enough perhaps. And you are seeing if you can strip your liver and pancreas of fat and see if your diabetes reverses? So you may have to cut down the food even more, and if you can - move more. Walking? Skating? Skiing? A VLCD and exercise will slow your metabolism down, way down, and you will have to watch your diet closely when you come off of the newcastle, but it may work. Especially as you are so young.

My guess is you have what the Swedes define as 'MOD' - mild obesity related diabetes - and you are not old enough to have had it for long? If you're going for the starvation thing - that is what you are going to have to do - starve a bit more!

Just make sure you wrap up extra warm when you go outdoors! As you will feel the cold. More so, due to the semi-starving.

Sweden is so up with the play you can be monitored for this if you wish - discuss this with a diabetes nurse. You can as part of the Swedish system get seen by a panel of endocrinologists also. (I did. On both counts.)

Also, as part of the Swedish system, you will get a LOT of blood glucose test strips, sigh. On the state. I miss that. And Accu-chek. Lucky you!

Lycka till!

Glyko

Hejsan @Glyko! I did a VLCD in Sweden, with real food. It's a bore counting the calories, tracking your intake and so on, weighing food and stuff, but it can also be quite soothing/meditative to focus on that whilst going hungry.

you absolutely don't need to do shakes and so on. The point is subsistence level intake - not how you do it.

I was monitored by an excellent practice nurse. I began my VLCD with 800 calories, for one month, but she suggested that I go up to 1000 calories to deal with a long cold dark Swedish winter. for the second month. (It was a January and February 2 months.)

I thought you were a man (your avatar has a male outline) but I see from your profile you are in fact a mid-30s woman? If you are wanting to go VLCD then 1200 cals a day is probably too much - it is in essence a starvation diet, and that is not starving enough perhaps. And you are seeing if you can strip your liver and pancreas of fat and see if your diabetes reverses? So you may have to cut down the food even more, and if you can - move more. Walking? Skating? Skiing? A VLCD and exercise will slow your metabolism down, way down, and you will have to watch your diet closely when you come off of the newcastle, but it may work. Especially as you are so young.

My guess is you have what the Swedes define as 'MOD' - mild obesity related diabetes - and you are not old enough to have had it for long? If you're going for the starvation thing - that is what you are going to have to do - starve a bit more!

Just make sure you wrap up extra warm when you go outdoors! As you will feel the cold. More so, due to the semi-starving.

Sweden is so up with the play you can be monitored for this if you wish - discuss this with a diabetes nurse. You can as part of the Swedish system get seen by a panel of endocrinologists also. (I did. On both counts.)

Also, as part of the Swedish system, you will get a LOT of blood glucose test strips, sigh. On the state. I miss that. And Accu-chek. Lucky you!

Lycka till!

Hej på dig :)

Thanks for the response. Yeah food is best option, I'll have to ask my doc...he suggested an 800 cals powder based VLCD. But they raise sugars, so that's a no.

I'll have to keep on my weightloss. Have been thinking of doing the Fast 800 by Michael Mosley. If not that I'll come up with something with my care team.

Oh, I have to update my profile...lol yes I'm a female in my 30's and had diabetes diagnosis for now two years.